Mod friendly Houston dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mod friendly Houston dealerships

I need to get some warranty work done to my G8 but I dont want to have to take ALL of the stuff off of my car. The work that needs to be done doesn't have anything to with whats done to the car. Does anybody know who to go to thats cool about this sort of thing?

Thanks, Brian
Old 09-14-2010, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know of to many.... A lot of them would rather just void your warranty and make you pay a **** ton to get it fixed. Warranty work doesn't pay as much as non warranty work as you probably already know. lol
Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

They cannot void your warranty due to mods to your car. Go to the dealership and get your work done. If they say something tell them about the Magnuson- Moss warranty act.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bwooten492 Get to the part that you want. I didn't know this thanks for the heads up GTRACER88.

Just so you don't have to read all the BS that doesn't apply to you

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, you are protected under law. This law protects people who need warranty work even though they added performance parts to their car.

This is how the act reads as per the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) website (www.sema.org ).

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C. __2301 et seq. This act, effective July 4, 1975, is designed to “improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products . . ..” The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies only to consumer products, which are defined as “any tangible personal property which is distributed in commerce and which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes (including any such property intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed).” Under Section 103 of the Act, if a warrantor sells a consumer product costing more than $15 under written warranty, the writing must state the warranty in readily understandable language as determined by standards set forth by the Federal Trade Commission. There is, however, no requirement that a warranty be given nor that any product be warranted for any length of time. Thus the Act only requires that when there is a written warranty, the warrantor clearly disclose the nature of his warranty obligation prior to the sale of the product. The consumer may then compare warranty protection, thus shopping for the “best buy.” To further protect the consumer from deception, the Act requires that any written warranty must be labeled as either a “full” or a “limited” warranty. Only warranties that meet the standards of the Act may be labeled as “full.” One of the most important provisions of the Act prohibits a warrantor from disclaiming or modifying any implied warranty whenever any written warranty is given or service contract entered into.

This means that, under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal…period.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah I've read parts of it. I've also heard about lots of instances where dealerships get around it or whatever. I only have a bolt on car so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I was more or less just looking to find a hook up.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Pm me with what work has to be done.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Bump... anybody?