Camber Tire: Reinventing the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camber Tire: Reinventing the wheel

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2010/...ing-the-wheel/

While i have a general knowledge about tires, I’m far from being an expert. I ran across this article/video, and I am curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on the subject.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't make sense to me for the following reason...

You run negative camber so that when the car leans in a corner the outside tire is more likely to be perpendicular to the road surface, which means that you have the maximum sized contact patch.

With this tire, he has built the 'camber' into the tire instead of the suspension geometry. My mental model may be wrong, but if the suspension design is equal then this design will not keep the contact patch constant in the corner, because as the car rolls it would have a tendency to lift the inboard section of the outside tire, which would reduce the contact patch and grip.

I don't have a thorough knowledge of his tire's construction, so maybe there is a piece of the puzzle I am missing. But if it is simply a tire with unequal sidewalls, I don't see how there would be much benefit.

A few other thoughts: really if your suspension design is decent you should be able to keep the tire somewhat flat against the surface through suspension travel. This isn't always the case due to cost. The other thing is that they mention toe in... but I don't think there are many street cars that run much toe in if any. Most random customers wouldn't care for the increased inner tread tire wear.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 09-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem with these is that they most likely require an alignment after install. Not the case with EVERY other tire in the shop right now.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Not a bad idea. I'd like to see how it handles. Plus the tires would last longer because the WHOLE tire would get equal wear instead of just the inside tread.

The guy is completely crazy to think that the gov't might make them mandatory because they're more predictable. How the hell would you run camber tires on a solid axle? I guess you could, but then it'd be un-predictable because it'd be the opposite of regular tires on a negative camber suspension.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=HAZ-Matt;13878279]With this tire, he has built the 'camber' into the tire instead of the suspension geometry. My mental model me be wrong, but if the suspension design is equal then this design will not keep the contact patch constant in the corner, because as the car rolls it would have a tendency to lift the inboard section of the outside tire, which would reduce the contact patch and grip.QUOTE]

^^^ This is accurate. How many people that own "performance cars" actually drive hard enough to really need the camber?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

why does jay leno always have the exact same shirt on.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if I understood that right you get the same effect as you would if you actually had 2* of camber adjusted into your suspension.just without the uneven wear???
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
why does jay leno always have the exact same shirt on.
My guess he cant afford new clothes since he has the 4th largest car collection on the planet......
Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

There are cars that naturally tend to run a negative camber. I can't tell you off the top of my head but my manager always talks about them. Nitto Neo gens are designed for cars like this.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssteven
My guess he cant afford new clothes since he has the 4th largest car collection on the planet......
tis a nice compromise.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

i really dont think 2 degrees is going to make much of a diffrence and i agree with the contact patch comment on hard corners

J
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It doesn't make sense to me for the following reason...

You run negative camber so that when the car leans in a corner the outside tire is more likely to be perpendicular to the road surface, which means that you have the maximum sized contact patch.

With this tire, he has built the 'camber' into the tire instead of the suspension geometry. My mental model may be wrong, but if the suspension design is equal then this design will not keep the contact patch constant in the corner, because as the car rolls it would have a tendency to lift the inboard section of the outside tire, which would reduce the contact patch and grip.

I don't have a thorough knowledge of his tire's construction, so maybe there is a piece of the puzzle I am missing. But if it is simply a tire with unequal sidewalls, I don't see how there would be much benefit.

A few other thoughts: really if your suspension design is decent you should be able to keep the tire somewhat flat against the surface through suspension travel. This isn't always the case due to cost. The other thing is that they mention toe in... but I don't think there are many street cars that run much toe in if any. Most random customers wouldn't care for the increased inner tread tire wear.
Intersting points you make.

I haven't given it a lot of thought ... but some random thoughts do come to mind.

One of the negative effects of a heavily camber front end is the los of contact patch under braking. This could solve that.

I bet the "negative camber tire" is more for NASCAR style cars which have a significant sidewall. On our cars ... not so much.

A negative cambered solid rear axle ... hmmmmm.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Launching!

With the camber tire, you'll still have to have a cambered suspension. If you have a solid rear axle, you'll have the contact patch as having 2* of camber.

Mainly european cars have camber. BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc...

And 2* is a LOT of camber. If you have a car with 2* as spec, and it has 3* of camber, the suspension is FUCKED up.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG R1's from 10+ years ago, I think mitchntx actually ran a set or two, had some camber built in. Not a new idea.

My M3 has -2.7º camber up front, and -1.5º out back.

Quick Reply: Camber Tire: Reinventing the wheel