View Poll Results: Do I give money back?
Yes- all once sold
22.22%
No, f that dick.
72.22%
Yes but not all, just some of it once sold
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Re-selling recently bought car on Craigslist from Craigslist...

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-selling recently bought car on Craigslist from Craigslist...

Update as of 8:15pm tonight.

Guy calls me up and says Garrett lets just make a deal.... ok, deal is pay me the balance and you can take the car. I gave him $100 more off the price of the car and he said fine. That $100 and me being able to tell him "If I EVER F'ing see you, your wife, or your son again on my property I will plead self defense." "Bye". Deal done.

Thanks for the input guys and I really did have to gut check my morals on it and thats why I posted. I think I was legit to hang onto it all after that showing at my house unannounced. Anyways. Thanks again brothers.

FWIW it was a little Del sol Si, super clean.

Last edited by 99SSinOC; 09-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy the guy an Economics book and tell him to get over it. Buy low, sell high.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

If I find a rare coin on the street and sell it to someone who later finds out I found it for free should I feel guilty about telling him to gtfo......NO........Live and learn...Keep the money!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He paid you 500 to keep it and now he doesn't want it? What about the other two buyers? Are they gone? You could be out of money yourself. Don't give it back.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

**** him...he gave you a deposit and is backing out because he is butt hurt over you turning a little profit... I would only give a deposit back in the event the buyer had some hardship that prevented the deal...
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let this serve as a lesson learned: Never, and I mean NEVER show a potiental buyer what you are trying to sell at your own house, esp. a vehicle. Always meet in a public place.

a deposit is a deposit, it is usually understood its non-refundabe. however, DID you really have other parties interested at the time you suggested he put it down with the intent to buy, or were you just saying that to make a sale?

If you said it to push the sell, return the money and regroup to sell the car.

If you had other potiental buyers lined up, and your comment (about having other parties interested) was truth and legit, then IMO the money is yours. you have paperwork as a legally binding contract to complete the transaction. if he changed his mind, than its his loss, and he eats the $500 hes now out.

regardless, good luck with your situation.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just an FYI on the title: you signed the back already so you will have to title it in your name to sell it. I am pretty sure the tax office won't let the other guy title it in his name like that.

Also, you did not state specifically in your thread, but did you write "non-refundable" deposit on the paper you both signed ? Not siding with the other guy, just trying to see a different perspective.

The way I look at it is like this: do you have the right to keep the deposit ? Certainly. Is it worth the headache and enemies you're creating for yourself by doing so ? Unless you need the money or actually turned someone away at your doorstep with the cash in hand to buy it and they bought something else already, not really.

It's a BS reason for backing out of a sale, but I say just give the man and his son their money back and be done with it. It will be way easier to sleep at night not wondering if they're going to try and get back out you somehow.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lesson learned that I will for sure never meet anyone @ my home again.

Yes, one of the two other buyers did end up buying another car that day. Obviously he was serious. The other buyer went to his bank and his credit was not established enough to get a loan.

I have a security camera and a 9mm and am a registered PPO as well, I am not going to lose sleep over anything for sure.

Mainly I was down to help them out without question when we said it over the phone, it was the visit that night that gave me a change of heart to even debate it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Keep the money and break out the lawn chairs and booze if your waiting for the keller pd, I was in a hit and run down there a few years back and they took there sweet *** time getting to me.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You dont see people raising hell at Kroger because they buy Campells chunky for one price ands sell it for another...Its the way life works. It doesnt matter what you paid as long as your in line with what the vehicle is worth...very simple. A 3500 honda civic seems about right to me
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** that ****....Keep the money the guy signed a paper saying he would pay that price for the car..

You think a dealership is going to sell you a car for what they got it for??

Just because you got a great deal on a car doesn't mean you have to sell it for the same good deal.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's no problem buying and selling car for a profit, if I gave two ***** about what others thought I wouldn't have anywhere near as much money and cars as I do now.

He gave you money to hold it and now he doesn't want it, so the right thing to do would be give the money back. He was an *** to you so I would have to think twice about it, flip a coin. Your idea sounds good though, I would go through with that.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't give him **** back. The fact that you're turning a profit is irrelevant. He agreed on the price and that's that. The ONLY way he'd have a legit complaint is if you didn't disclose hidden damage or accidents, etc. but that's not the case.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Haha tell him car dealers do it everyday, your just not marking it up as much!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

a deals a deal! till him to f off
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

It's a civic? What year and how many miles?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Problem solved.... see original post...

Search this Thread