Can anyone here change my fuel pump the easy way? (trap door method)

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone here change my fuel pump the easy way? (trap door method)

I have a lt1 T/A vert. It died at my job so I had to get it towed to my apt. Its been sitting for about a month now. I figure it may be the fuel pump because before it died on me, it got harder and harder to start. So if anyone here can do the trap door method, just send me a PM with a price!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did it myself in the parking lot of my apartment last year. It wasn't too bad, just took some time. I used this as a guide.
http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are you sure it isn't something else like an ignition coil or opti ? I would check a few more things before you just throw a fuel pump at it as it could be a lot of work for nothing.

Turn the ignition to run and listen for the fuel pump to prime, it should be very obvious if it's working or not. If you can hear it prime up, try to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it's at. This will tell you for sure if it's the fuel pump.

If it looks like you have fuel, check to see if you have spark at one of the easier to reach spark plugs (cyl 1 or 2). If not check the coil and ignition module. I had my LT1 Vette die on me once and it ended up being the ignition module and was a relatively simple fix.

Opti's are also known to cause hard start issues before they go, so that it is something else to consider.

Hope this helps.

-Ernie
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rayosequis
Are you sure it isn't something else like an ignition coil or opti ? I would check a few more things before you just throw a fuel pump at it as it could be a lot of work for nothing.

Turn the ignition to run and listen for the fuel pump to prime, it should be very obvious if it's working or not. If you can hear it prime up, try to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it's at. This will tell you for sure if it's the fuel pump.

If it looks like you have fuel, check to see if you have spark at one of the easier to reach spark plugs (cyl 1 or 2). If not check the coil and ignition module. I had my LT1 Vette die on me once and it ended up being the ignition module and was a relatively simple fix.

Opti's are also known to cause hard start issues before they go, so that it is something else to consider.

Hope this helps.

-Ernie
This could help if my battery wasn't dead lol. But seriously before it died on me, I could slowly hear the pump dying. So right before it died on me I couldn't hear the pump prime at all, which makes me think the fuel pump is shot. I doubt if its the opti, because it was running fine before that. I know I tried some starting fluid, it started right away then died instantly. Also could I buy a fuel pressure gauge and then return it since I'm only using it once?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t/afrom504
This could help if my battery wasn't dead lol. But seriously before it died on me, I could slowly hear the pump dying. So right before it died on me I couldn't hear the pump prime at all, which makes me think the fuel pump is shot. I doubt if its the opti, because it was running fine before that. I know I tried some starting fluid, it started right away then died instantly. Also could I buy a fuel pressure gauge and then return it since I'm only using it once?
There is a bulkhead connector on the rear bulkhead near the fuel filter.

Pull that connector loose, look for the pin that feeds the purple wire and apply 12V.

If you don't hear the pump, then it's the pump. If you do, then look elsewhere.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Autozone "loans out" fuel pressure gauges.

Search this Thread