Anyone on here have DIAGNOSED sleep disorders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone on here have DIAGNOSED sleep disorders?

I ask because I have had and currently have sleep issues. It's getting to the point that my job could be in jeopardy. I probably won't get fired for "tardiness", but it could eventually lead to that...

I know from people I have slept with (not necessarily sexually lol) that I sleep walk, sleep talk, cannot fall asleep etc.

The reason I ask now, is simply because I'm tired of it all. I can wake up after 14 hrs (YES 14 hours) of sleep and still feel tired like I need to sleep more. I absolutely cannot fall asleep before midnight, unless I'm stupid drunk or have been on the go almost litterally all day.

Lately I have noticed that 1 am is becoming more of a regular sleep time for me, even tho I lay in bed between 11 and midnight.

I know that I sleep walk and sleep talk. I had a roommate a couple years back that was a light sleeper and listened to me talk in my sleep just about every night. About once a week he'd see me walking around while unconcious (all of this is without my recollection). I now live with my girlfriend of over 2 years and she has seen me walk/talk too many times to count.

Basically, what I'm getting at is what kind of sleep disorders am I looking at? I have searched WebMD.com for some kind of answer, but I'm having a hard time pin-pointing it. According to them, it appears that I have a half a dozen sleep disorders.

I want to get some health insurance just from the stand point of a couple months out getting some kind of sleep disorder diagnosis. It's really hard to explain to people what it's like and have them understand or accept...

I just know that sleeping disorders are usually diagnosed by the person sleeping and then having an MRI scan done on them. I know I can't afford this out of my own wallet, but I'd REALLY like to have this figured out.

Last edited by JoeKnowsBaseball; 10-08-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Launching!

The most recent example of my sleeping disorder is when I over slept for work Wednesday night with ~7.5 hrs of sleep. I fell asleep at midnight and the alarm goes off at 7:25 am. I have 3 alarms set and none of them woke me up.

Last night, I fell asleep around 2am and woke up on time and was at work 15 minutes early.

Of course I sleep talk with really funny ****. I loved hearing stories from my old roommate. One time I was talking **** about "12 volt motorcycles" lol. Once, I sat up in bed, looked out the window (while the blinds were shut) and exclaimed "we're gonna be cool". Another time I was caught clapping a beat or rhythem out and then promptly going "back to sleep". My gf has found me taking showers at 5am and waking up at 7 to take another shower before work.

It's just ridiculous...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my old high school teacher has a sleeping disorder they gave him some sort of breathing machine and medicine or something... if you really want I can get details.....I remember cuz he use to fall asleep in class randomly
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

i have sleeping disorders myself. my girlfriends says a talk and walk in my sleep, and said it scares her because she thinks i may not be getting enough oxygen to my brain. but idk what it is. it dont matter how long i sleep either i still feel tired. i know its not normal but havent had it checked out. you and i have similar sleeping disorders
Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

I've done some research and supposedly there's 83 sleeping disorders and they all have the same symptoms. It's up to a specific doctor to diagnose it and it takes EEGs or MRIs to figure it out.

I just found a "sleep clinic" in Ft. Worth. I think I'm gonna go talk to them to see what they can do for me. There might be a way they can get Medicare/Medicade or whatever to pay for it.

97camaross: I think your teacher had narcolepsia. That is a very rare disease. Tho I do tend to fall asleep if I'm not moving much (i.e. classes, meetings, etc.) I don't believe that I have that. A narcoleptic can fall asleep while standing and having an active conversation I believe. I've seen a few shows on narcoleptics and they all seem to die in very weird situations associated with sleeping. I've never felt like my sleeping would put me in jeopardy of my life...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can never sleep enough. I find myself taking naps occasionally, which only further screws up my sleep cycle.

OP- You can go to certain Universities/Hospital centers where they do sleep disorder tests.
Perhaps volunteer for a study, just so you can kinda get a free diagnosis. Or talk to your doctor to see what options are out there that are affordable to you.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I think I have sleeping disorders, but I think it's just cause I'm lazy and like to sleep a lot lol. On the weekends that's all I do; stay up till around 5 or 6 either on ls1tech or browsing other **** or playing xbox, then not wake up the next day till around 5.

Some say it's insomnia though, cause I can't go to sleep sometimes... In college I could stay awake for 3 days straight... studying, playing xbox, messing with computer **** etc... And I would get like 5 hours of sleep, then do it again without any loss of energy.

I try to at least go to sleep every night by 11, so I can wake up at 7 for work, which gives me a good 8 hours of sleep. If I do that for a period of time, my body will get used to it, and I can usually fall asleep right away.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Launching!

I sleep talk and sleep walk on rare occasions now although it used to be much worst. According to a friend on our trip to San Antonio he heard me get out of bed, get dress, and leave the the hotel around 1am then I didn't come back till almost 2 hours later. To this day I don't know where I went.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Teching In

I have done a sleep study before. Hooked up to wires and stuff. I didnt sleepwalk or talk, but I just could not hear alarms. I basically was in deep sleep at the wrong times.

I was diagnosed with a form of Circadian Rythm disorder I think. The test was weird, but was pretty cool to see the results on paper. You can see the ups and downs your body goes through while sleeping. I had the lows in the wrong places.

A few months later after getting some help from the doc's I was able to get to sleep and wake up earlier, just had to change a few things in my daily routine.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a doctor and have a sleep study done. I had a buddy that had problems similar to you. He put it off forever. He finally went and did it and they have helped him a ton. Putting it off won't fix a thing.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Go to a doctor and have a sleep study done. I had a buddy that had problems similar to you. He put it off forever. He finally went and did it and they have helped him a ton. Putting it off won't fix a thing.
this, but you do have to keep up with it too, as life changes so will the issues. I had a sleep study several years ago and now pretty much everything has changed, i didnt keep up with anything so im bout to have to do it all over again.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

I had trouble sleeping, and it was because I was too inactive now compared to how active I was in high school with 3 sports. So I started working out and running everyday, and when I go to sleep now I am tired as hell. Maybe you should change some daily routines like that so you don't have any pent up energy.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97camaross
my old high school teacher has a sleeping disorder they gave him some sort of breathing machine and medicine or something... if you really want I can get details.....I remember cuz he use to fall asleep in class randomly
breathing machine is for sleep apenia (sp?) my step dad and old boss both have it, but only the boss uses the machine.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tripps
I had trouble sleeping, and it was because I was too inactive now compared to how active I was in high school with 3 sports. So I started working out and running everyday, and when I go to sleep now I am tired as hell. Maybe you should change some daily routines like that so you don't have any pent up energy.
yup that happened to me when I ran out of elgiblity from the NCAA... I quit doing everything, couldn't sleep, so saw a shrink for some sleeping pills, he told me to start working out again. I do and no prob sleeping. I too sleep walk or talk when I don't get a work out in for multiple days in a row.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Sometimes I think I have sleeping disorders, but I think it's just cause I'm lazy and like to sleep a lot lol. On the weekends that's all I do; stay up till around 5 or 6 either on ls1tech or browsing other **** or playing xbox, then not wake up the next day till around 5.

Some say it's insomnia though, cause I can't go to sleep sometimes... In college I could stay awake for 3 days straight... studying, playing xbox, messing with computer **** etc... And I would get like 5 hours of sleep, then do it again without any loss of energy.

I try to at least go to sleep every night by 11, so I can wake up at 7 for work, which gives me a good 8 hours of sleep. If I do that for a period of time, my body will get used to it, and I can usually fall asleep right away.
I too used to do that in college, and actually still do it today. I guess I'm lucky in that I only really need 4 hrs of sleep. can survive for weeks on less, but then just end up sleeping a day away eventually. I plan on pulling a 2 day push this weekend to get my car ready... of course if done sooner, then I get to sleep

Sleep is for the weak!

but seriously don't even waste your time trying to diagnosis your self. Your not a Dr. Go to a clinic and have professional people do it.

Last edited by Domsz06; 10-08-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

I used to have the same problem used to sleep alot of hours and never felt rested. I went to my doctor and they sent me to the sleep lab. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea and you can either have a surgery or they give you a machine depending on how severe it is. I have the machine cause do not want anything on my body cut or messed with by a doctor. I have slept with my machine for 7 years and have never not used it. I sleep 5-7 hours only no more than that just because when you get that rest it is complete rest. If you get diagnosed with this disorder make sure you use your machine. It takes about two weeks to get used to but once you do you will not want to sleep without it. I do not need a nap during the day or anything just sleep at night and feel good all day. I wish you luck buddy and hope your situation gets better.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Domsz06
yup that happened to me when I ran out of elgiblity from the NCAA... I quit doing everything, couldn't sleep, so saw a shrink for some sleeping pills, he told me to start working out again. I do and no prob sleeping. I too sleep walk or talk when I don't get a work out in for multiple days in a row.
Quoted for truth.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Launching!

im a insomiac as well, also suffer from restless leg syndrome. i take 300mg of gabapentine twice daily for the leg kicks, and 50mg of trazadone an hr before bedtime, have been on this regime for the past 2yrs and it works great, when i close my eyes now i go to sleep!! i know exactly what it feels like to go yrs with only sleeping 2-3hrs good each nite and it sux azzzzzz feel sorry for anyone goin thru it

btw if you have sleep issues , no over the counter meds are gonna keep working very long, nothing i could buy at walmart really helped, anything like tylenol pm would jus amplify my leg kicking and restlessness instead of actually putting me to sleep.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

I had the same problem until I bought the memory foam mattress.Slept on it for a week and still had the same problem.Decided to return it and they asked why.I told them I just spent $2,200 dollars and still can't sleep.They asked it I bought the $150 pillow.I told them no and like a dumb *** I bought the pillow.Long story short $2,350 and I sleep like a baby.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Well I had a very hard time sleeping once I got home from the desert, except I was more violent in my sleep, like waking up with my ex wife in a choke hold and punching ****, yelling and cussing. It was ******* crazy. I'd bring chics home and they would leave after we fell asleep cause they thought I was nuts. I found out that alcohol cures any sleep problems. Lol but the after 2 years of that it went away! Take some ambien and allow 8 hours of sleep. I like the sleep time where you drool your so asleep. If that doesn't work drink a case of beer and a few shots and you'll be fine. Lol