Clutch slipping problem.....**help**

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch slipping problem.....**help**

I posted this thread about a week ago in the Manual Transmission section but I got no help....so Im gonna post it here to see if my fellow Texas peps can help me out.....

Ok so this is weird to me but I hope someone can help me on this one. So my clutch slips when its cold and I quick shift from 1st to 2nd. I mean it sounds/ seems like I have no traction, but it grabs in 1st gear all the way through. Once its warmed up it grabs perfect, but I haven't really quick shifted when its warm. Keep in mind I don't smell burnt clutch or anything when it slips. This new engine set up has about 1k miles and the master has about 1200. (it was bought before this set up) The clutch was rebuilt with new bronze buttons and the pressure plate and flywheel were turned when the new motor was installed. I have no idea what can be causing this.

Details on my set up:

drive-train:
-tick master
-new slave
-rebuilt textrelia oz700
-stock t56 (I think)
-stock 10 bolt (3.42s)

engine:
-6.0 iron (370ci.)
-Vindicator cam (240/244 .605/.596)
-5.3 heads (PRC stage 2.5)
-ls6 intake
-full exhaust
-bolt ons

A friend told me that with such a big cam maybe im running too low of a gear and this would cause the clutch to slip....has anyone else heard this? Help me please....im getting ready for a tune on spray. (200 shot)
Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
I posted this thread about a week ago in the Manual Transmission section but I got no help....so Im gonna post it here to see if my fellow Texas peps can help me out.....

Ok so this is weird to me but I hope someone can help me on this one. So my clutch slips when its cold and I quick shift from 1st to 2nd. I mean it sounds/ seems like I have no traction, but it grabs in 1st gear all the way through. Once its warmed up it grabs perfect, but I haven't really quick shifted when its warm. Keep in mind I don't smell burnt clutch or anything when it slips. This new engine set up has about 1k miles and the master has about 1200. (it was bought before this set up) The clutch was rebuilt with new bronze buttons and the pressure plate and flywheel were turned when the new motor was installed. I have no idea what can be causing this.

Details on my set up:

drive-train:
-tick master
-new slave
-rebuilt textrelia oz700
-stock t56 (I think)
-stock 10 bolt (3.42s)

engine:
-6.0 iron (370ci.)
-Vindicator cam (240/244 .605/.596)
-5.3 heads (PRC stage 2.5)
-ls6 intake
-full exhaust
-bolt ons

A friend told me that with such a big cam maybe im running too low of a gear and this would cause the clutch to slip....has anyone else heard this? Help me please....im getting ready for a tune on spray. (200 shot)
Just tell your friend Chad to go STFU!! I can take a look Wednesday if you'd like Ro. It really doesn't make sense. Clutchs don't warm up and your gears are not the issue at all. Hope this isn't the case, but a leaking rear main seal will fling oil all over the clutch and after a few shifts it can wear off a lil feeling like it's grabbing. Or.......... your slave/hydraulic system still has air in the lines and it's not engaging quickly. If you can cruise in 4th at about 40 and nail it without slippage the clutch isn't the problem. I am willing to bet it's in the hydraulics even though I know you've replaced most of it already.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
Just tell your friend Chad to go STFU!! I can take a look Wednesday if you'd like Ro. It really doesn't make sense. Clutchs don't warm up and your gears are not the issue at all. Hope this isn't the case, but a leaking rear main seal will fling oil all over the clutch and after a few shifts it can wear off a lil feeling like it's grabbing. Or.......... your slave/hydraulic system still has air in the lines and it's not engaging quickly. If you can cruise in 4th at about 40 and nail it without slippage the clutch isn't the problem. I am willing to bet it's in the hydraulics even though I know you've replaced most of it already.
It was a different friends.

I don't have a leaking rear main. I pulled the clutch out and cleaned it with brake/ part cleaner. Idk it has all new hydraulics. I don't understand it, and I guess no one else understands it either i guess.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
It was a different friends.

I don't have a leaking rear main. I pulled the clutch out and cleaned it with brake/ part cleaner. Idk it has all new hydraulics. I don't understand it, and I guess no one else understands it either i guess.
No, it really just doesn't make sense of a clutch to act like that. A slow responding slave or master not working correctly will act like a clutch slip though as it doesn't allow full pressure as fast as you clutch. Like air in the brake lines, feels mushy and the calipers won't respond as quickly as they should leaving the " spongy" feel to them. The hydraulic clutch is almost identical.