engine i bought from a member is f&^*Ked

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default engine i bought from a member is f&^*Ked

well,
i want to know what you would do. i bought an engine from a member here and today i had time to take it apart to inspect it before getting it on my camaro.
the engine had some very bad metal shaving when i took the oil plug out and upon taking the oil pan out, i found a lot of metal shaving in the pick up tube and some in the pan. it looked like a piston ring or something like that, it was a thin piece of aluminum and in a circular shape kinda like a piston size.
the oil pan is banged up from the inside really bad and it almost came through the wall....etc....
the guy said he would give me a 30 day guarantee that it was in good shape so i hope he stands by his word.
he had the engine in the local texas forum and i drove 4 hrs to pick it up.
the engine looks like it needs a lot of work, the pistons had some bad marks on the bottom of the skirts and the actual shavings were all over the place.
there was a lot of rust on the cylinder walls and also on the valves in the head.

what are your thoughts
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if he'll refund you. Don't put it off.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i sent him a pm and waiting on a response.
this is no way to do business here. i dont think he knew the engine condition but he did give me his word...
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

should of waited for his answer first before posting something like this lol
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i did not put his name or anything alike. i just want to know what people in my position would do....im not trying to start **** here...and i did not see anything wrong with asking.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by red281gt
should of waited for his answer first before posting something like this lol
^ I'm with this guy. Putting this out here like that even if it's just advice might just **** the normal Joe off and probably say "since he didn't even give me a chance to respond or redeem myself and put this out here then he can **** off". You might not have put his name out but there are probably a few people that know how it is and probably already are having alienated feelings about his character even without knowing hat he is going to do to redeem what went on.

Not trying to start $hit either, just trying to look at it from both sides. Hope all comes out fair for you especially with that long drive.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i just did a search and found the member you bought it from and you knowingly bought the engine when it was sitting outside in the rain for 3 weeks! Here is a quote from you on another section.......

"i just picked up an engine for a project car and the engine was sitting outside for about 3 weeks, i tore it down and noticed some rust in two of the head valves and some in the cylinder walls (2 of them) over all the engine was in great shape but i want to cleat it up good. "
Did you buy it knowing that it was sitting outside for 3 weeks or did you buy it and leave it outside for 3 weeks?
Either way, if it sat outside and rusted the cylinder walls, the rings will never seal right again. Even if the motor was blown from the bottom end, leaving it out to rust is just as bad. If you knew it was outside then you are as much to blame for buying it. Just my .02cents. Don't get pissed off I am just not sure why anyone would buy an engine that has been sitting outside for 3 weeks in unknown weather and then think its ok to drop it in a car.

Last edited by dgcustomz; 10-12-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

lemme guess, it was that 6.0 posted for 550 haha
Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
lemme guess, it was that 6.0 posted for 550 haha
Good price...lol
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha. No it was a 5.7 ls1. I was aware of the rust in te valves and was planning to redo them. But the bottom end is messed up beyond cleaning.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

Wow guy..... you buy an engine from me on the 25th of September and post a thread like this before even speaking with me about it. Thats kind of shitty don't you think????

I am not hiding anything whatsoever. When you showed up to buy the engine, you had every opportunity to inspect it and did so. I let you borrow tools and you chose to remove the passenger side valve cover. You and your friend closely inspected the cylinder head and both said it looked very clean. I would not have objected to pull the oil pan if you would have wanted to. It was never brought up so the pan was never pulled. I even offered a compression gauge if you wanted to use it.

I did offer the engine with a 30 day money back guarantee but you said it would be longer than that before you ran the engine. You said you were willing to take the chance on it and decided to purchase it. You also said you were planning on disassembling it and planning on going through the engine as well.

I will honor the 30 day money back guarantee providing the engine is exactly as it was when it was purchased. I did mark the block and heads along with the water pump and alternator to ensure in case something like this happend that I would get the same parts back. The engine was picked up on the 25th of September. Please have it back to my shop no later than the 25th of October or you will just have to keep the engine. I am sorry about you having to make the trip back up here as I know its a long drive but when buyer a used item, its up to the buyer to make sure to inspect it throughly before buying. I took a chance on buying it as you did.

Next time.......... contact me and wait for my response before pulling a little stunt like this.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thesource
Wow guy..... you buy an engine from me on the 25th of September and post a thread like this before even speaking with me about it. Thats kind of shitty don't you think????

I am not hiding anything whatsoever. When you showed up to buy the engine, you had every opportunity to inspect it and did so. I let you borrow tools and you chose to remove the passenger side valve cover. You and your friend closely inspected the cylinder head and both said it looked very clean. I would not have objected to pull the oil pan if you would have wanted to. It was never brought up so the pan was never pulled. I even offered a compression gauge if you wanted to use it.

I did offer the engine with a 30 day money back guarantee but you said it would be longer than that before you ran the engine. You said you were willing to take the chance on it and decided to purchase it. You also said you were planning on disassembling it and planning on going through the engine as well.

I will honor the 30 day money back guarantee providing the engine is exactly as it was when it was purchased. I did mark the block and heads along with the water pump and alternator to ensure in case something like this happend that I would get the same parts back. The engine was picked up on the 25th of September. Please have it back to my shop no later than the 25th of October or you will just have to keep the engine. I am sorry about you having to make the trip back up here as I know its a long drive but when buyer a used item, its up to the buyer to make sure to inspect it throughly before buying. I took a chance on buying it as you did.

Next time.......... contact me and wait for my response before pulling a little stunt like this.
Good honarable answer here, hope it gets worked out
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

As for the engine sitting outside. It did sit outside for about 3 weeks after I purchased it. It was sealed up completely. Spark plugs in the heads, valver covers on the engine, throttle body in the closed position on the intake manifold, oil pan on the engine and so on. I turned it over by hand the day it was purchased as did the buyer and it turned over very smoothly.

Here is the original thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...er-engine.html
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

I can only hope when I buy a used part the seller is like "thesource" .
Thesource sounds like a very nice guy.

As for the OP I think you should have talked to him first..Sounds like it would have all been taken care of very quick.

30 money back.. **** you can't beat that.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I can only hope when I buy a used part the seller is like "thesource" .
Thesource sounds like a very nice guy.

As for the OP I think you should have talked to him first..Sounds like it would have all been taken care of very quick.

30 money back.. **** you can't beat that.
Thats more than I ever get on anything I buy. I always assume its as is when buying used parts. I did get pissed at a member on here a couple years ago about a T56 core I bought. I expected it to be a core but I also expected it to be complete. When it showed up, half the crap was missing because the seller was too damn lazy to box it up properly. I got screwed on it, expressed my anger about it and let it go.

Last edited by thesource; 10-13-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

"thesource" is right on in my opinion. Id do buisness with him ANY day.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

This is how it sat for about 3 1/2 weeks on my trailer in front of my shop:

The buyer was made aware of the fact it sat outside before purchasing it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the exhaust manifolds were still intact there should be no rust in the cylinders...

I agree the OP should have contacted the seller 1st...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
This is how it sat for about 3 1/2 weeks on my trailer in front of my shop:

The buyer was made aware of the fact it sat outside before purchasing it.
If he brings it back I will give you $50 for the Harmonic Balancer/Underdrive Pulley lol