lookin at a 99 HOSS clone... help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lookin at a 99 HOSS clone... help please

I posted in the whats it worth section but takes a little while to get replys there and i may be buying the car within the next few days so i need opinions as quick as possible...

Here is what i posted and also two replys by two others followed by my answer to those... :

'99 Hugger Orange SS (clone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lookin at buyin a '99 HOSS clone. The body has 90k miles but has a motor and gauge cluster from another 99 HOSS that was totaled with only 66xxx miles. Guy im buyin it from was told when he bought it that motor wasrebuilt at 58000 miles by thunder racing and had katech rodbolts and arp main studs installed and that the bottom end is forged but doesnt know what internals tho, just that its forged(install katech rodbolts in aftermarket rods?)? motor has a trex cam and ls6 intake. car was auto when current owner bought it but he had it converted to standard with a transmission built by t56rebuilds and has a spec stg3 clutch with a hurst shifter. rear end has 3.42 gear with upgraded posi unit. newer pacesetter ceramic coated lt's 3" full slp loudmouth exhaust, offroad y. thunder racing lid. suspension mods are tubular kmember, tubular lower a-arms, diamond subframe connectors, lca's, panhard bar and lowering springs. bout all i can think of... the bad : right front zr1 wheel needs repowdercoated. carpet is cut where bolt in cage was installed at one time. and miles are not correct for what chassis actually is. needs new brake line and pas. side window motor but he has both new in box to be installed... what do yall think its worth? hes askin 13500 but that seems a little much for a z28 to me? i was thinking maybe give him 11000 but about it...

Pretty iffy if he has zero documentation of the engine work. That would break the sale for me. Anyone can say they have forged internals.
i would want to know why the cluster was changed out for a lower mile one... that would make me question the said 90k miles on the body.
ok as far documentation on engine work i dont mind... i highly doubt its forged internals... the motor was suppose to have been rebuilt at 58k miles so even if it was stock rebuilt at that with good rodbolts and main bolts then thats fine... so basically i guess is the price good for a stock motor with 66k miles on it...

the cluster was supposedly changed out from a true 99HOSS that the owner before him had that was totaled... he wanted to show the actual miles on the motor... and owner right now looked a car fax and said that it showed car to have a mileage issue at 8x,xxx miles because it was wrong because of new cluster.. so thats how we come up with 9x,xxx miles since there has been 8k put on car since bought....
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

and here is a link to a video of the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsNRmAfM7ls

Deal is i trust the guy im buying the car from just dont know if what he was told is true....
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

If i were in your position i would pass on that bucket!! You can get so much more for that kind of cash.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** for a little more you could have got this.. It's sold now but for that price look what you could have had... The 99 HOSS is way over priced

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...ery-clean.html
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

i would walk away from that ride man. with the money you want to spend you could find another f-body on here that will have those same mods maybe more. Thats just my 2 cents
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

It's my old car I did all the work and sold it to Nathan. The hood, spoiler, and cluster did come off of my buddies HOSS that was totaled. The engine does only have 50000 miles on it, was in my old T/A race car that went 10.70's cam only. He does not know how to explain alot of detail to you, so I can answer any questions you have.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

there is the man im lookin for.... exactly what he was tellin me i just didnt know who you were on here... like i said, i trust nate but this will be good to here detail from previous owner...

ok so as far as the motor being rebuilt, what all is done there? he said katech rodbolts and arp main studs... but forged internals aswell... also what cam is in it and springs and pushrods? also he thinks there is some headwork done to the 241s? that would be some great info if ya know...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd pass on the car...you could find a better car for the same coin
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
**** for a little more you could have got this.. It's sold now but for that price look what you could have had... The 99 HOSS is way over priced

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...ery-clean.html
LOL, thanks man, I sure am going to miss that car!
I thought it was kind of strange because once I posted it was sold, the PM's really started coming in!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95z28camaro
there is the man im lookin for.... exactly what he was tellin me i just didnt know who you were on here... like i said, i trust nate but this will be good to here detail from previous owner...

ok so as far as the motor being rebuilt, what all is done there? he said katech rodbolts and arp main studs... but forged internals aswell... also what cam is in it and springs and pushrods? also he thinks there is some headwork done to the 241s? that would be some great info if ya know...
PM sent

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
I'd pass on the car...you could find a better car for the same coin
I know what he will let the car go for, it is a good price. Also until you see this car in person and see the detail that has gone into it and it's condition. You're are making a judgment with no facts to support it.

Originally Posted by Black2001z06
I thought it was kind of strange because once I posted it was sold, the PM's really started coming in!
Justin your car was sick! Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

I bet people waiting to see if you would go down on the price but, that car was a buy of a lifetime... It had everything you could almost want on the car already.

Clean *** car.

Did someone on the boards buy it?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
Justin your car was sick! Glad it all worked out for you.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Hope you’ve been well!

I bet people waiting to see if you would go down on the price but, that car was a buy of a lifetime... It had everything you could almost want on the car already.

Clean *** car.

Did someone on the boards buy it?
Yea, probably so, but I thought I had the car priced pretty reasonable overall.
It was just simply an asset that I did not utilize that often.
Thank you, I tried to build the car with the right parts.

No, a man and his wife drove here from Louisiana with an enclosed trailer and took the car home.
Thank god he was an honest man, because my wallet was left in the car on accident and was on its way to Louisiana with the car until I called and asked him to check for it.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

INVISIBLEZ
Your right i haven't seen the car its totaly based off of what was given in the description and he's asking for what people thought...therefore I gave my opinion...post pictures for a more accurate opinion.

Last edited by charlie_gonzales; 10-19-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Hope you’ve been well!

Yea, probably so, but I thought I had the car priced pretty reasonable overall.
It was just simply an asset that I did not utilize that often.
Thank you, I tried to build the car with the right parts.

No, a man and his wife drove here from Louisiana with an enclosed trailer and took the car home.
Thank god he was an honest man, because my wallet was left in the car on accident and was on its way to Louisiana with the car until I called and asked him to check for it.

Oh **** damn my heart would have dropped if I left my wallet in the car I just sold. lol Did he turn around to mail it to you or just meet back up with you?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Hope you’ve been well!
Things are good, lmk if you head down this way anytime soon.

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
I know what he will let the car go for, it is a good price. Also until you see this car in person and see the detail that has gone into it and it's condition. You're are making a judgment with no facts to support it.

Your right i haven't seen the car its totaly based off of what was given in the description and he's asking for what people thought...therefore I gave my opinion...post pictures for a more accurate.
Before 6 years ago:

After:

Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh **** damn my heart would have dropped if I left my wallet in the car I just sold. lol Did he turn around to mail it to you or just meet back up with you?
LOL, yea it was defintely a good cardio workout alright!
I hauled butt out to east Dallas and met the guy at a gas station and everything was still in it.
I offered him some gas money for his troubles, but he refused.
I sure am glad that I dealt with good people on that transaction!

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
Things are good, lmk if you head down this way anytime soon.
Will do Mike!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

huh, interesting thread. You already seem cautious about this car already, if you do decide to buy it, you already know this car is a mix of parts.

I ran into the same situation when I was shopping. Couldnt touch a HOSS or SOMSS for less than $13k, still only blue booked at $10k. SS wasnt important enough to find another $3k+ just to know its a true SS. I ended up finding my HOZ in florida for $8500. This winter I plan to do the SS clone thing. Just got a hood and have 6 mo. of mn winter to get the rest. Just a thought if the price is just too much for you.

Also cool seeing the different wheels on the hugger. My friends say it would look the best with black wheels but they're so overdone this year.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use your best judgement. It's good that the owner and previous owner are chiming in about the car and it's history. Hugger's are hard to find now a days they only made 1400 of them in '99. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

LOL, yea it was defintely a good cardio workout alright!
I hauled butt out to east Dallas and met the guy at a gas station and everything was still in it.
I offered him some gas money for his troubles, but he refused.
I sure am glad that I dealt with good people on that transaction!

Will do Mike!
No joke... I'm taking it you didn't have the money he just gave you in that wallet lol

Also at the same time hoping not to get pulled over on the way lol