porting throttle body and maf question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting throttle body and maf question

does anyone have a good write up on these?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ehow.com/how_4553230_port...ttle-body.html
Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Teching In

ok cool. So I see that he says to port the part of your tb that is towards the front of your car. do you also do the same to the motor side of your tb?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

No you don't have to do the back side of the throttle body. The idea is to prevent turbulance in the intake and make the throttle plate opening the "bottle neck" of the whole intake system.

On another note... I heard a theory of porting and polishing throttle bodies. A buddy of mine claims that you don't want a "mirror finish" on your TB because that actually causes bad flow. He claims you should have a slightly rough finish like an engine hone finish. It follows the reason that golfballs have dimples and trucks get better milage with the tailgate up instead of down.

Any comments on that?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Teching In

hmm, thats an interesting idea, although I'll be honest I dont know enough about that to give my opinion. It'd be good if some other people would give some input on that because It's going to get ported on sunday. And also, besides the bump stop mod, and porting and polishing, is there anything else to do to your throttle body? I thought I read something about grinding another part of it down but I cant find the website.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I port and polished mine. I didn't give mine the mirror finish treatment but it was pretty shiny. I grinded the edge of the throttle plate into like a sword edge .. put everything back together and painted it. I am actually going to take it back out and go at it again here pretty soon. I think I have room to open it up a little more. Just go at it man, I know I was pretty cautious the first time doing mine and it took me longer than it should have. After awhile you just keep going around it and it will get more comfortable and you will really start cutting into it. Look at peoples stock ported throttle bodys on here before you start and you will see how far you can go to the edge. Then start grinding away!!!