shop in Austin familiar with second gen fbodies

Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shop in Austin familiar with second gen fbodies

My 72 Formula has manual brakes and I need to upgrade them to power for a long cross country road trip.

I have the booster and the master cyl. Anyone out there recommend a shop that can do this for me in Austin? I just don't have the time because the process of moving is an insane one.

thanks guys
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

It's a simple swap, really. All you need is a brake booster and a matching proportioning valve bracket. And then you'll need new brake lines for power brakes because the hook ups between the MS and the PROP valve are different between power and manual brake systems. Some people prefer the feel of manual brakes, actually.

As for a shop, I'll ask my buddy who has a second and third gen up there. He goes to a couple of really good shops.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slash8915
It's a simple swap, really. All you need is a brake booster and a matching proportioning valve bracket. And then you'll need new brake lines for power brakes because the hook ups between the MS and the PROP valve are different between power and manual brake systems. Some people prefer the feel of manual brakes, actually.

As for a shop, I'll ask my buddy who has a second and third gen up there. He goes to a couple of really good shops.
Awesome, thanks man. Yeah it looks like a pretty simple swap and kinda fun to do actually. But I don't trust my $30 old pos Autozone brake line flaring kit, and I'm still working out issues with moving. I hate moving. lol

I didn't know the prop valves themselves were different. One shop told me I should be able to use the same one if I still have front disc/rear drums. But now that you say that, I'm not sure.

Thanks again for the response
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Talk to Robby at Rabun Automotive, hes out in Cedar Park but is worth the drive.

Search this Thread