Anyone a electrician? need some help

Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone a electrician? need some help

I got this car its not a ls1 but its still a GM 97 grand prix GTP.

Its got this interior glitch thats driving me nuts, I posted on the grand prix forums but not having any luck.

So i come to good old tech for help...

Whats going on is my interior lights wont work. I have checked almost every bulb i can think of and they look fine, pulled every fuse and they are ok.. I had to clean some of them up due to corrosion.

Everything works, dash lights, DIC.

The interior lights run into a relay that connects with the radio, with a aftermarket radio what ever is shorting out the lights causes the relay to trip and the radio shuts off.

The relay trips every few seconds all the time after the car is started, I have found that if i pull the interior lights fuse the relay does not trip. But I also found if I pull the "mall" fuse it has the same effect. I read something like the problem could be the BCM? but i have checked almost all the wiring in sight and i don't see anything being screwed with. no signs of aftermarket alarms or radios ( i put the radio in )..

anyone have some advice for me?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried disconnecting the radio ? It should have been wired up to simply plug into the stock harness so disconnecting the radio should put you at a "radioless - yet stock" electrical setup. After that, then you can start really tracking down what is wrong.

One of the first things after you disconnect the radio would be to see if the lights then turn on. If not, then you look at the fuse box. After taking the radio fuse out, check for lights. If no lights then take out the accessory fuse that powers the lights and see if the positive side of the fuse has voltage now. If not then you know you either have a short between the fuse box and the battery (not much to look for there) or a break in the wire. Most relays and everything else involved with the lights should be after the fuse box so if there is a problem with them then you'll need to put the fuse back and work your way from there.

You should be able to get an electrical diagram if you get the shop manual for your car. If that's not possible then you need to follow the wire from the fuse box and relays. They may be broken/stuck etc.

Also, I assume your manual switched internal lights (like the ones under or around rear view mirror) dont light up as well?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

No luck with pulling the radio or radio fuse. I have to find my voltage meter to check for power.

And yes the push button lights don't work either.

Oh and the relay still trips when the radio fuse is pulled. So Its got something to do with the mall or light fuse, I bought a haynes manual for the wiring diagrams
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jay7199
I got this car its not a ls1 but its still a GM 97 grand prix GTP.

Its got this interior glitch thats driving me nuts, I posted on the grand prix forums but not having any luck.

So i come to good old tech for help...

Whats going on is my interior lights wont work. I have checked almost every bulb i can think of and they look fine, pulled every fuse and they are ok.. I had to clean some of them up due to corrosion.

Everything works, dash lights, DIC.

The interior lights run into a relay that connects with the radio, with a aftermarket radio what ever is shorting out the lights causes the relay to trip and the radio shuts off.

The relay trips every few seconds all the time after the car is started, I have found that if i pull the interior lights fuse the relay does not trip. But I also found if I pull the "mall" fuse it has the same effect. I read something like the problem could be the BCM? but i have checked almost all the wiring in sight and i don't see anything being screwed with. no signs of aftermarket alarms or radios ( i put the radio in )..

anyone have some advice for me?
get you a test light at minimum but preferably a meter or power probe. check both sides of the fuse and make sure they have power. do not just look at the fuse.

can you get a diagram up?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Launching!

hi.
use a voltmeter and check from fuse box to source. you must use a process of eliminations
to find problem!!!!check continuity between sources to assure no breaks or shorts...sounds like you may have wires grounded/improper hook up with radio install......best of luck and have a blessed day..........jim
PS CKECK DRAW ON BATTERY WITH NOTHING ON/THEN CHECK WITH ISSUE SOURCE ON/ANY DIFFERENCE IN READINGS???????????PROBLEM AREA!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jim ravencraft; 02-24-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

The relay for the lights stops tripping when the mall fuse is pulled and when the interior lights fuse is pulled. So the problem is almost definitely got to do with the mall circuit.

It sounds like they screwed something up with your security system and the mall circuit is tied into the interior lights and such to control those things when a theft is occuring or the alarm goes off. I would start looking at that circuit to see if they cut something they shouldn't have when you had your radio installed or see if any sensors are no longer functioning / malfunctioning etc.

The only way it couldn't be something to do with the mall circuit (your security system) is if the power to the relay wire is somehow dead. But a simple check at the fuse box should tell if you have power on it's way to the relay.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

The radio was factory when i bought the car, i did the install. I just used the plug and play harness.

Im going to have to agree on it has to do with the mall circuit, my keyfob didnt work when i bought the car and i went to put a new battery in only to find it was broken (the clip that holds the battery) so when searching for a new keyfob, the one i currently have is for a 05+ grand prix

So either someone throw one on as a filler piece or someone screwed with the security.

I did notice just now that there is a break in the coating of 2 wires down by the BCM. But it just looks like for some reason they got to close to the E-break cable and it lightly made contact tearing the coating.

Im going to pick up a multitester now to start checking the fuse box.

I'll update in a bit with new findings, thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
hi.
use a voltmeter and check from fuse box to source. you must use a process of eliminations
to find problem!!!!check continuity between sources to assure no breaks or shorts...sounds like you may have wires grounded/improper hook up with radio install......best of luck and have a blessed day..........jim
PS CKECK DRAW ON BATTERY WITH NOHING ON/THEN CHECK WITH ISSUE SOURCE ON/ANY DIFFERENCE IN READINGS???????????PROBLEM AREA!!!!!!!!
you've been trolling this section a lot lately
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

ok the relay that is poping has a wire going to the "rap" fuse if i pull this fuse, the relay does not trip. The relay is also connected to the radio fuse and the large fuse(?) that is for the "headlamps"

I double checked all the fuses and they are good.. Im kind of having some problems operating the new tool as it has alot of functions.. I picked up this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=431988_0_0_

and i searched around more and still cannot see any sign of the security system being messed with. What a pain in the *** this is.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Might help you. If not, I've got more

xfgxfgnjm
Attached Thumbnails Anyone a electrician? need some help-62450444.gif   Anyone a electrician? need some help-62450446.gif  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

i dont see what all the fuse powers or any relay in those schematics. i dont see the "rap" fuse either

no interior light works?

rail roof light
sunshade illuminated mirror

Last edited by 5w20; 02-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

I think he might have typed the wrong year. Starting in 96 GM used the BCMs in their cars which eliminated the need for a separate retained accessory power module. It is all built into the BCM. Alarm, window relays, dimming lights, head lights all go through the BCM. The only relays that would be in the dash should be the horn, blinker, fuel pump and one other that I can't remember.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

nope its a 97, it was made in 96 it was one of the first 100 productions for the 97 model.

And yes, Dome light, sunshade lights, rear view lights.. None of them.

The only lights that work inside are the dash lights and the DIC, oh and the radio lights up when i pull one of the 3 said fuses.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

First things first, check your ground connections.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Here are those grounds from a 96 but sound like they apply in your case.

G402 Inside rear compartment, below RH side of rear window panel

That's all I have for G402

What you need to try to do: Find a light with easy access. Check for 12v going to the light. Put your negative lead on a ground under the dash some where. Stick the positive on both sides of where the bulb goes. If you get a 12v line, more than likely you have a ground issue. So then you can try to get a piece of wire and attatch it to the same place where the negative lead was and run the wire to where the negative pole is on the light and see if they or one light comes on. If you do not get 12v anywhere, then you have a break in your 12v line.

And yes, I actually like electrical problems. I've wired up my 94 Z28 with a 99 body harness and underhood harness and everything works. Minus the airbags because the IPC and air bag module have to have the same vin to function. I successfully figured out the proper way to install LT1 tail lights in an LS1 car without hacking up the harness and sockets. It only takes one wire from the steering column to the brake switch. Install a puch button start on my 99 when it was good using an ASR switch. The list goes on.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone a electrician? need some help-62450706.gif   Anyone a electrician? need some help-62450720.gif  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

First i need to get my new multimeter to work.. I think its broken and i just bought it lol..

I reads notthing at all. Guess im gona have to run back up to autozone to exchange it.

no power to the lights. My hayes manual says wires should be this color, but when i look at my car none of them match up.. i got the interior light diagram for 94-97 and yeah.. none of the colors match.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Do they match on mine? That's why I posted them. Haynes is a good book however it is generic most of the time.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

ah yes it does seem like yours match

ok if im not mistaken, the orange ( i have 2) coming off the headlight switch should be hot at all times? i checked all of them and none have voltage with the car off, if i turn the headlights on theres a multi color wire that gets voltage, but the ones that I think should be hot at all times arnt doing anything. But maybe im wrong and they shouldnt be hot at all times?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

If GM keeps their stuff the same, the orange should be hot at all times. Car on or off unless there is a relya envolved. With the car on is there voltage? Where are you measuring voltage? What lights?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt think to check it with the car on. I did how ever turn the headlights on, park lights on, dimmer all the way up all the way down. Every witch way i tried i couldnt get a reading from the orange wires.

Yes i was reading voltage, the tool has alot of settings 2 20 200 and 750 v i had it on the 20 cuz from whawt i understand the reading i got off one was 0.12 witch should be 12 volts. Atlest thats what i gatherd from the instructions.

I checked the ground, it was working.

I tried to follow the 2 orange wires but it gets lost behind the dash. I did how ever (i think) find the factory security setup and it looks untouched, also checked for a security light bulb in the gauge cluster and its there and not burnt up. So why doesnt the red light ontop of the dash blink? But either way i don't think it was the security system that someone messed with that is causing the current problem..

Pic of what i think is the security setup..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone a electrician? need some help