Engine swap, what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap, what to do???

Heres my situation: engine committed suicide (long story). My trusted mechanic quoted me around $3,000 for a ~40k replacement engine, this includes labor, coolant etc. Or I have a bunch of car buddies who are telling me I could get a lq9/lq4 block and swap the good heads from my dead ls1 and do all the work myself. I would consider myself above average as far as knowing what I am doing. So what I need to know is how hard would this swap be for an above average person to do? If I do swap the engine myself I'll be dropping the k-member to get the engine out. All things being considered should I get my mechanic to swap the engine or should I do it?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by destroyer1362
Heres my situation: engine committed suicide (long story). My trusted mechanic quoted me around $3,000 for a ~40k replacement engine, this includes labor, coolant etc.
Does the cost cover a warranty of some sort?

I could get a lq9/lq4 block and swap the good heads from my dead ls1 and do all the work myself.
How do you know if your heads didn't absorb any damage?

how hard would this swap be for an above average person to do?
With the amount of information available these days it shouldn't be hard for anyone, let alone someone with decent skills and helping hands that work for beer.

All things being considered should I get my mechanic to swap the engine or should I do it?
If the $3k covers all parts, labor AND comes with a warranty, I would take it. if it DOESN'T, Would you value YOUR skills combined with friends to build something you've never done or took part in before? Best case: you build it and it lasts. Worst case: your out $6000. 3k for your build and another 3 for the mechanic to do the job.

what do YOU feel like doing? From my personal experience, If i question my abilities its best to leave it to someone who knows what their doing.

Ask your mechanic to build the LQ9/LQ4 engine with the parts you supply. see how much that is.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to ask if there is a warranty, originally I asked to just get a junkyard motor but if something with around 40k on it should have some kind of warranty. His work is guaranteed, he installed a couple of fuel pumps in my truck before and when the replacement was a dud there was not charge at all.
Edit:
All he could find was one w/ 103k w/ a 3 month 30k warranty (around $4k) or a crate w/ a 3yr 100k warranty (for over $5k) I paid 4 grand for the car.

I know at the very least the drivers side head is fine only the #8 hydrolocked and threw a rod. Like in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...yesterday.html

I just want to get it out on the road again, thats all I'm after at the moment. If I do build something I have one of those neighbors who knows everyone and has just about every tool in existence. Also I have a buddy who knows someone at redline in arlington.

Last edited by destroyer1362; 03-29-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Plunge in head first,no one wants to help someone who talks about it.
JUST DO IT. NIKE