Are those extended warranties worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are those extended warranties worth anything?

Has any one used those extended warranty contracts from 3rd parties on their car. I'm starting to think it would be a good idea since my insurance screwed me out of covering my engine. The one company I keep seeing is Warranty Direct they say they have good marks with the BBB. What's everyone's 2 cents on companies like this?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 AM
9 Second Club

Most of them are scams from what I've heard. My friend had one of those warranties on his stock TBSS and when his tranny went out, they tried their BEST to cop out of paying for it. I don't remember if they ended up paying for it or not, I just remember they fought tooth and nail to get out of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

They are only as good as the paper theyre written on. Most of the time you will end up paying 80% of the repair bill.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you have a problem you will have to fight to get the coverage. And never let that stupid establishment called the BBB have any bearing on your decisions. All a good ranking with them means is that they paid money for it. I believe it was 20/20 or maybe 60 minutes that busted them bad about upping businesses scores after they paid money. Is save the money and just do the stuff myself unless you don't have the means/ability to do your own labor.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

I have warranty direct haven't had to use it yet but will need to soon on the tranny in the wifes suv. Every time I've talked to them they seem nice but ill see when I tale it to get worked on
Old 04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

As a shop manager who has dealt with them for years I would have to say save your money.

Vernon
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

If its GMPP I have had good results. If its a 3rd party company I wouldnt spend the money.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
If its GMPP I have had good results. If its a 3rd party company I wouldnt spend the money.
GMPP Major Guard or don't bother.

You can buy GMPP major guard cheaper off the internet than at your local dealer. I believe it is Black Pontiac GMC Cadillac somewhere northeast that is a big discounter of GMPP. I have bought 2 from them through the internet.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
GMPP Major Guard or don't bother.

You can buy GMPP major guard cheaper off the internet than at your local dealer. I believe it is Black Pontiac GMC Cadillac somewhere northeast that is a big discounter of GMPP. I have bought 2 from them through the internet.
As a former service advisor for several shops including GM, I would agree. The non-manufacturer backed warranties range from OK to dismal. And they're a PITA for the shop to deal with, and costs time getting things approved.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
As a former service advisor for several shops including GM, I would agree. The non-manufacturer backed warranties range from OK to dismal. And they're a PITA for the shop to deal with, and costs time getting things approved.
All you need to know
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always been against aftermarket warranties, but when we bought our Escalade a couple of months ago, we were given an opportunity to get one for a pretty good price.

But..., since it was my wife who the Caddy was for and she wanted it, then she got it. I advised against it, though.

We did not buy it with very high expectations and with the intention of milking every penny out of it we can. We'll see how it goes in the next four years. I'm not counting on anything, but if something does go wrong and they cover at least something, I guess it'll be okay, then.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

another vote for GMPP, the others are a waste of money... You would get more satisfaction out of setting you money on fire, than giving it to one of the 'others'.....
Old 04-06-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heard a lot of good things about GMPP. However, IIRC, you still have to be under the original bumper-to-bumper warranty to be able to purchase it. Or something along those lines.

There was just a thread about that in the 07+ Escalade section of Cadillac Forums.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paid for a new trans in the escalade and a new heads for my uncles f250.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

You can be sure that the insurance company is on the winning side of the investment.

All it will do is limit your variance (i.e. fluctuations about the mean) but in the end you will statistically come out losing. Of course, if you make the argument that it gives you "comfort" then that's an emotional argument and logic goes out the window.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Paid for a new trans in the escalade and a new heads for my uncles f250.
Just out of curiosity, who paid? gmpp, the company I mentioned, or you?

Either way it looks like a unanimous "DON'T DO IT"
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Launching!

I got a new motor for my trans am, but they tried everything they could to get outta it.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSam
I got a new motor for my trans am, but they tried everything they could to get outta it.
I know when I was still turning wrenches at the dealership, those aftermarket warranties would try to only use junkyard parts. Esp if it was something big like a motor or tranny. We would install a junkyard motor and have it smoke a little (burning oil) and they would tell us it ran and it was there problem if it didn't last until the warranty was up. We had many upset customers because of those guys.

GMPP would typically handle it just like factory warranty with GM parts. I have heard that they have started changing on a few things, but haven't experienced it myself yet. Perhaps someone who deals with GMPP currently can chime in.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Warranties/service contracts are way up there in the profit zone for the seller, like 80%. They're good for someone that can afford the add on the monthly payment, but could not afford a catastrophic event like an engine or trans failure. In my time at the dealerships (several years), the most common use was for usual breakage like window regulators or other relatively simple repairs. I'd bet less than 5% of people had repairs covered that actually exceeded what they paid for the warranty. Ask Best Buy and other retailers that make as much on the warranties as they do selling the products to begin with. You're buying a level of comfort, really. It is emotional, as the numbers will almost never go in your favor.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one on my old beater Grand Am from Warranty Direct - the fuel pump went out (cheap part, mega expensive labor to replace) and the lady said "send us the bill". I paid out of pocket and faxed them the receipt thinking I'd get paid in a week or two. It took almost four months and they kept the majority saying the contract said they'd cover parts, not labor to install. They kept $550 out of a $610 bill. I went to the salesman who I bought the car from, he had been promoted to Sales Manager by then, and he pretty much laughed at me

My sister on the other hand, purchased the extended mfgr warranty on her E350 - it spun a rod bearing 47mi outside of the original warranty - they told her bring it in, no worries. Saved her over $5k