How long is too long for a shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long is too long for a shop

How long is too long for a shop to have your car?

I know performance takes time. If a shop quotes you say month to complete a job, and then takes 2 more months. Is that acceptable? What would you say to them when your shelling out over 10k? I know alot of you guys have been through this. Just wanna hear your thoughts.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by icen

I know performance takes time. If a shop quotes you say month to complete a job, and then takes 2 more months. Is that acceptable? What would you say to them when your shelling out over 10k? I know alot of you guys have been through this. Just wanna hear your thoughts.
Depending on what mods you were doing really, and what kind of problem they are having getting the parts in.. 10k, you getting a procharger?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

10k cash is alot of money.
Well atleast for me it is LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Really depends on why it is taking longer than qouted, if by chance the wharehouse or what ever can't get them the part and they can't make the price quote going another route then at least a call to let you know, the situation an extra 30 days is not horrible. If they are just overbooked and can't get to work on your car then anything more than a week would **** me off.

Good machine shops are always slow both because of the time they take to do something right and the amount of business that a good machine shop brings in. So if it is an engine build or head work normally a month or 2 extra wait time is worth it
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgarza54
Depending on what mods you were doing really, and what kind of problem they are having getting the parts in.. 10k, you getting a procharger?
If I remember correctly his car was already supercharged and something happened to the motor...my guess would be a new motor?

But he could have swapped out the KB for a procharger...

Anyway what route did you end up going...and was it 2 months later than the month they told you(3 months altogether) or has it been just two months since they've had your car?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like said above, If the said shop is waiting on the machine shop to build a motor then it's kinda out of their control. If all the parts are there and ready to install it's unacceptable...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Need more info. History on what has been done to the car and what you're doing.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

10k is not that much to have a car down for 3 moths...If they told you one month and it turned into 2 more then sorry someone is just pushing your car off to the side to do something else.

Now if you’re doing some custom turbo build or something that everything was done from scratch then I could see it taking some time.

Like everyone said above what are you getting done?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Launching!

I noticed your in Austin. What shop has your car if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by icen

If the shop quoted you a month to do a project, 3 months is absolutely unacceptable. They set their own deadline, not you, and they exceeded it. The only exceptions are back-ordered parts, or if you added to or changed the original agreement. Even then, "back-ordered" is sometimes code for "my dumbass forgot to order it."

It gets kinda tricky now. If you start calling to bug them everyday, they may just throw it all together to get it out of the shop and not have to deal with you anymore. If you don't say anything, they'll keep putting it on the back burner and it'll just take longer.

I would suggest talking to them politely and explain that you feel you've waited too long, reminding them that they are two months late, and that you need to have your car returned. Negotiate a new deadline with them and get it in writing or in an email.

If they miss this deadline, then you should start to take more drastic action.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know getting parts right now is ridiculous... Nobody is keeping inventory because of the economy. Everything is being drop shipped from the manufacturer. I just ordered a set of AFR heads for my race car and they told me 5 weeks before I get them.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I honestly do not believe anything would take two months to do. I would be pretty pissed off. We have had engines not being produced casted and got them inless then a few months (dealer).

I wouldnt even call a back ordered part an exception. Maybe if it was a one off custom made piece. But still.

Dont even bother calling just show up and talk to them in person that way you can catch and smell any BS they throw at you for why the work is not getting done

Last edited by MyFirstLS1; 04-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think 1 month should be max on finishing a customers car.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

I would like to see some people that have shops in here, to get their perspective on this..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

im speaking from being a tech at a dealer.

when i was at a private shop we had one customer that would not fund any money and had very little contact so we werent going to order or do anythign without input from the customer

Last edited by MyFirstLS1; 04-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

If the goal is to make real power with a kb kit on an c6 I'd say 10 years is acceptable. It would be groundbreaking...lol
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
If I remember correctly his car was already supercharged and something happened to the motor...my guess would be a new motor?

But he could have swapped out the KB for a procharger...

Anyway what route did you end up going...and was it 2 months later than the month they told you(3 months altogether) or has it been just two months since they've had your car?

Forged pistons, h beam rods with arp rod bolts,and forged 402 stroker crank. Includes all machining and short block assy 3850

New stage 3 ls6 heads with 2.05 intake valves and 1.60 stainless exhaust ,675 springs with titanuim retainers 1950

Here are the rest of the parts that we will need with whatever short block and heads you go with.

Timing set- cam ,crank,and timing chain- 189
Hv oil pump 209
Custom ground camshaft 420
HP lifter set 235
Arp head studs 289
Complete gasket 265
Hardened pushrods 110
Oil and filter times 2 and coolant 130

Rand R engine 1500
CLean all parts,covers,oil pan,and install heads 550

plus some other little things. That and added boost from the KB till its maxed out. Im not gonna name the shop right now. Im not bashing in anyway. I want some feedback from people and shops that have went through this. Ive already paid a 6500 dollar deposit. Honestly I feel like every time i call (usually 3 times a week) all they say is itll be done next week and then when friday rolls around ohh itll be ready next week. I dropped my car off mid to late December. It was suppose do be done 2nd week of February. At first it was that the machine shop was taking a long time. Then it was because they needed a 6500 deposit, because they were floating too many projects. This was beginning of March. Honestly I wanted to say you have my 50k dollar vette, where the **** do you think Im goin. Well I ended up ponying up the cash. That was mid March. That brings us to current.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1x2
If the goal is to make real power with a kb kit on an c6 I'd say 10 years is acceptable. It would be groundbreaking...lol
just a fun little street car. Honestly, after being in turbo and centi s/c cars. The KB is one of the funnest to drive. On top of it I daily drive this everywhere. Id be happy to have 700whp. Next mod is to upgrade to the 3.6L.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

honestly go down there and ask to see where it is at. Look at the progress. I tend to think the worst of everything so in my mind is something happened and they are trying to cover it up or they just plain and simple havent touched it.

Last edited by MyFirstLS1; 04-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
honestly go down there and ask to see where it is at. Look at the progress. I tend to think the worst of everything so in my mind is something happened and they are trying to cover it up or they just plain and simple havent touched it.
Im with this guy. I know about projects taking way to long i have a car thats been down for 3 years. Now my buddy has it it will be running next week.