Energy consumers of America: The rich, poor, stupid, and hippies

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Energy consumers of America: The rich, poor, stupid, and hippies

There are three different kinds of energy customers, customers that can afford high energy prices, customers that can't afford high energy prices, and customers that won't pay for high energy prices.

The customers that can afford high energy prices are the middle to upper class citizens, businesses/companys, and "energy enthusiasts". Energy enthusiasts meaning people that need energy to power their hobbies. Middle to upper class citizens will pay for the high energy costs because they need to keep their large house cold and keep their high end electronics running. They won't give up their Suburbans and Escalade. Energy is a luxury and people will pay for it without thinking. In short, Businesses/companys need energy to keep alive in this competitive marketplace. Energy is a life blood for any business and will always pay for it. The energy enthusiasts, aka LS1Tech, doesn't care how much energy prices are. They will keep their toys on the road or track. This is how they choose the spend their hard earned money. It's many peoples "American Dream". Energy makes people enjoy life.

The customers that can't afford high energy prices are the lower class or people that live above their means. Sadly, the lower class is greatly affected by high energy prices. They can't drive to work or power their home which cause many negative financial and social effects to that person or families life style. However, speaking for DFW, many cities are investing in public transportation to make transportation more affordable to lower class citizens. A well funded public transportation system is incredibly important for the future of major citys for many reasons. Also, future Government aided programs will help the lower class that NEED, key word NEED, help powering their home.

Rant mode engaged

The people that ******* **** me off are the people that bitch about high energy prices that live well above their means. These people are horrible with their money and have no idea what budgeting means. Why in the **** would you buy a $50,000 1 ton diesel truck that gets 8 mpg when you drive 100 miles every day to your $30,000 dollar a year job??? Why in the **** would you go the mall and blow your pay check on materialist items if you can't budget out your energy costs. Why in the **** would you buy a home that costs $600 dollars a month to power when you can't afford the bill, let alone the mortgage payment??? The people that bitch and complain about high energy costs are the people that are stupid as **** with their money. They say this all the time and if I hear " It's the oil companys fault gas prices are so high because derp derpdy derp...." again, I will shotgun them in the face. It's the people that bitch and complain that have the biggest voice and it pisses me off. These customers can't afford high energy prices because they are retarded.

Rant mode over

The customers that won't pay for high energy costs are the "hippies", progressives, and conservatives. There is nothing wrong with not purchasing high priced energy. In their minds its logical. It also allows other customers to purchase the energy that is not use for cheaper. The "hippies" won't pay for high energy, even cheap energy, because of their idealism and life style. They are happy and the other consumers are happier. The progressives won't pay for high priced fossil fuel energy because they think its illogical. These customers want a zero emissions nation. They would rather pay for extremely expensive zero emission energy technology rather than the cheaper fossil fuel energy technology. They see it as an investment for the future. The conservatives won't pay for high energy costs because they see it as a waste of money. These customers are very frugal with their money. They purchase small cars and small homes. These customers won't pay for high energy costs because they hate to waste.

IMO energy prices and emissions will continue to rise until new technologies are implemented in the the energy infrastructure. It all depends on the consumer demand. There is a demand for both cheaper energy and cleaner energy, however you can't have both. Some consumers in the nation will invest in expensive clean energy. Some consumers in the nation need and want cheap energy.

I don't care how we do it. Anything is better than purchasing energy from foreign countries. It should be America's goal to be energy self sufficient. That should be priority number one.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got out of our high $ house with the high $ bills and now live making the same money but driving a little further. We are able to save 1/4 more than what we we're living in that big *** house. All of our vehicles are payed for and we are looking into getting a Volt of a Leaf for my gf for her 70+ mile a day commute. I'm lucky enough to not have to drive very far for work. Maybe 15-20 miles a day.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

most people (even wealty ones) dont want to pay the current higher gas prices. i'm sure that our current high prices are more a reflection of gas production and supply and not just oil prices and supply. if you can think back to the summer of 08' oil peaked around $150/barrel, today its quit a bit less expensive but gas prices are getting up there. but whatever anyone thinks these markets are manipulated by large players, companies and countries. not understanding how these free markets work can make the average person frustrated and feeling f---ked!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Take me back to 2001 when I thought $1.10 was high for a gallon. Lol
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

An emerging world market for fossil fuels aka India and China is going to continue to put the shaft in the US if we dont start producing ourselves. Even at that, domestic oil and natural gas production will only go so far and have an inherently finite supply. Short term solution is cut into "big oil" profits(which will be published for this quarter later this week) and regulate it like big brother has done on everything else. In the mean-time we need to get off our tree hugging *** and open up the fields in Alaska and offshore where we are currently banned from drilling yet allow foreign countries to drill. Im also of the mind that while we're playing world cop(even though in most cases I disagree with it) we should atleast benefit from it. Trillions have been spent in Iraq and it looks as though Libya is going to the same way, we might as well benefit from it, ala importation of their oil which we are in a round-a-bout way paying for anyway with the blood of our soldiers and the dollar of the American tax payer.

Things arent going to get better any time soon energy wise. American has fallen WAAAYYY behind in energy production. The moratorium on new unit licenses for nuclear plants has long been overdue to be released. Which just in the last year a VERY select few licenses have been released by the NRC but in the grand scheme of things wont amount to much. Atleast by my guesstimation we need another 40+ units(depending upon size) to keep up with demand by the time they would be able to feaseable come online. My parents are in the nuclear industry and its amazing when compared to other countries how far behind we are. It doesnt help that the morons over in Japan have given the nuclear industry a black eye for the near future.

Natural gas is really starting to become a viable option now that fracking has made previously non-financially viable shale reservoirs accessible. Of course that process is also very dangerous when in close proximity to private water tables.

We're not going to run out of fossil fuels any time soon and contrary to popular belief Obama(even though I despise the man for other reasons) is not all that bad in regard to energy solutions. Albeit he hasnt done anything to get us energy independent by 2018 like he said he would but he has taken a couple of baby steps in the right direction. As his approval rate plummets in direct inverse correlation to gas prices he has no choice but to act upon the subject. With the oil company's profits being published here in the near future I believe it will give him the ammo to act a little bit. Now whether it actually correlates to more than a dog and pony show or anything actually happens is another question.

The price of a barrel of crude is less than it was the last go-round yet prices at the pump are damn close to the same, something to think about...
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Thumbs up

"The people that ******* **** me off are the people that bitch about high energy prices that live well above their means. These people are horrible with their money and have no idea what budgeting means."

Hell let these people buy the NEWEST fads... i.e. '10 Camaro's, G8's, CTS-V's. That way we can all buy them @ 1/2 price USED when they trade early into the next new FAD item with 8+year payment plans.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2TR
Hell let these people buy the NEWEST fads... i.e. '10 Camaro's, G8's, CTS-V's. That way we can all buy them @ 1/2 price USED when they trade early into the next new FAD item with 8+year payment plans.
That's why I love those morons! Gotta have it! Gotta have it!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by 2TR
"The people that ******* **** me off are the people that bitch about high energy prices that live well above their means. These people are horrible with their money and have no idea what budgeting means."

Im a big fan of them too, Ive never bought a new vehicle and have always picked up a nice used vehicle for way below what it cost new. Unfortunately those are teh people that are driving inflation through the roof along with the federal government. Everyone spending beyond their means and the government thinking they can just keep printing money equates to astronomical inflation and will quickly put an end to the "recovery" we are seeing.

Luckily for us here in Texas its not nearly as bad as elsewhere in the country but we arent above getting tagged too if the bubble pops. Id suggest spending wisely over the next couple of years until things get lined out one way or the other.

Now is a great time for renters to move into a house of their own due to the people you are referring to. The wife and I are looking to do exactly that later this year after I liquidate a few assets. 20% down on a house rids you of a lot extra BS on a mortgage for those looking.

The only way America will get truly back on track regardless of the energy "crisis" is to spend within their means on both the personal and federal level. Vote Republican and get some fiscal conservatives back in control
Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's often sad that we pay so much for gas, when it doesn't even cost that much more to refine it now than it did in 2001 even with all the inflation. It pisses me off that Oil companies post record breaking sales numbers every year, and get away with it. The government stopped John Rockefeller way back when from creating his monopoly, it seems now that instead of one Standard Oil Co. we now have many (Exxon, BP, Shell, etc..). Were a LONG way away from running out of oil and it's already this bad, don't even wanna think about the future.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I def fit into won't pay for high energy prices. At least fuel wise. Luckily I have a DD to makes this easier as the T/A gets around 8mpg in the city I'm not really motivated to mess with it right now as a tank of premium approaches $70.

It does annoy me however that the most energy hungry country in the world is so politically strict about energy production.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

The problem is that it's not one company doin the price hikes. Wouldn't that be why it's not a monopoly?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94fixerTA
We got out of our high $ house with the high $ bills and now live making the same money but driving a little further. We are able to save 1/4 more than what we we're living in that big *** house. All of our vehicles are payed for and we are looking into getting a Volt of a Leaf for my gf for her 70+ mile a day commute. I'm lucky enough to not have to drive very far for work. Maybe 15-20 miles a day.
volt or leaf is the biggest waste of money . YOur a ******* moron for even suggesting it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whatsa347
It's often sad that we pay so much for gas, when it doesn't even cost that much more to refine it now than it did in 2001 even with all the inflation. It pisses me off that Oil companies post record breaking sales numbers every year, and get away with it. The government stopped John Rockefeller way back when from creating his monopoly, it seems now that instead of one Standard Oil Co. we now have many (Exxon, BP, Shell, etc..). Were a LONG way away from running out of oil and it's already this bad, don't even wanna think about the future.
yup your right we have no issue of running out of oil, but the negative press says we do and all the suckers belive it and then we all pay more at the pump. But hey I can't hate it, i work for one of those oil companies lol
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

if you guys really don't like the high gas prices stop paying them. the companies know they can charge what ever they want because everyone will pay it. **** I don't even pay attention to gas prices because I choose to drive and make my carbon foot print. I don't care about it, if I did I would stop driving, sell my house and buy a house right in front of a bus stop and ride public transportation everywhere. I work hard so I can have my toys. If I cared I'd go buy a little 3 year old civic that gets 40 mpg and drive it, but I don't care so I drive my nice fun gas guzzler cars.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder how many people read this thread while holding a $1 bottle of water or a $4 cup of Starbucks? Those are the people that make me LOL when bitching about gas prices.

The end isn't near. People still spend money like crazy on stupid ****, while complaining about gas prices. It obviously hasn't affected them enough yet. Americans are probably the worst in the world when it comes to living beyond their means. If you live paycheck to paycheck, or rely on credit cards to buy things, you might fit that category. It might be time to look at your financial standings and actually do something to improve your income or reduce your debt. Don't wait until you can't afford anything later. Pick up a 2nd job, work harder, or sell your stuff. Pretty simple.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domsz06
if you guys really don't like the high gas prices stop paying them. the companies know they can charge what ever they want because everyone will pay it. **** I don't even pay attention to gas prices because I choose to drive and make my carbon foot print. I don't care about it, if I did I would stop driving, sell my house and buy a house right in front of a bus stop and ride public transportation everywhere. I work hard so I can have my toys. If I cared I'd go buy a little 3 year old civic that gets 40 mpg and drive it, but I don't care so I drive my nice fun gas guzzler cars.
+1. Yeah it sucks but like they say, you got to pay to play. My diesel truck is $100 a week but it's worth every penny to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
+1. Yeah it sucks but like they say, you got to pay to play. My diesel truck is $100 a week but it's worth every penny to me.
yup i hear ya, i'm averaging filling up the v2 2-3 times a week at 75 a pop... adds up, but every time I push the go pedal I smile
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

volt or leaf is the biggest waste of money . YOur a ******* moron for even suggesting it.
Well not everyones a big dick silinging corvet driving *** like yourself. It's my girlfriends choice to want to drive that instead of her 06 quad cab z71.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94fixerTA
Well not everyones a big dick silinging corvet driving *** like yourself. It's my girlfriends choice to want to drive that instead of her 06 quad cab z71.
ah yes, gotta love the *** idiots like you. If you were to take a step back and look at the entire picture you would see what a waste of money those cars are. They are purely a political debate. Take a step back and look. But like others have said your the type that are drinking dollar bottles of water and $4 dollar coffee's and bitching about the gas
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TR
volt or leaf is the biggest waste of money
+1 to both of these!