Someone on here own this Z28 before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone on here own this Z28 before?

This is my first post, I recently traded for this 01 z28 88,000 miles. I got from a guy around Dallas. He said he traded a mustang for this car to a member on ls1 tech. It's had all of the free mods done. Aftermarket throttle body. It's got leather and t-tops, lowered and has black z06 wheels with toyo tires, It has 3in exhaust out the back.
Attached Thumbnails Someone on here own this Z28 before?-01-z28.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

what part of Tejas are you in?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

GL finding the owner, it looks like every other F-Boat on black corvette wheels.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Whitehouse just south of Tyler. I figured it would be a shot in the dark.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Anyone have a picture of the drive shaft where it goes into the transmission? I am asking because I was driving home yesterday and when I got on the highway I ran it hard through the gears up to about 110 or so and let off of it, then I noticed a vibration and my speedometer would bounce back and fourth between 45 and 60. When I came to a stop and started going again it would be fine for a minute then start vibrating and the speedometer would start bouncing. Before i left work I notice the rear tail shaft housing seal was leaking tranny fluid where the drive shaft went in to the transmission and should have known not to hotrod it on the way home. I have pulled the differential cover and rear end looked good, u-joints look good, tranny mount looked good, drive shaft doesn't looked cracked or bent. The drive shaft does seem like it has to much play where it enters the tranny or "tail shaft housing" and the seal is pushed out. It looks like a spacer or something is on the the part of the drive shaft that enters the tranny that is 1in or so long and I am wondering if that is supposed to be in the tail shaft housing, because mine isn't. I don't know if this makes and sense and sorry for the long post. I will get a picture tomorrow. My car is a automatic.

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike623
Anyone have a picture of the drive shaft where it goes into the transmission? I am asking because I was driving home yesterday and when I got on the highway I ran it hard through the gears up to about 110 or so and let off of it, then I noticed a vibration and my speedometer would bounce back and fourth between 45 and 60. When I came to a stop and started going again it would be fine for a minute then start vibrating and the speedometer would start bouncing. Before i left work I notice the rear tail shaft housing seal was leaking tranny fluid where the drive shaft went in to the transmission and should have known not to hotrod it on the way home. I have pulled the differential cover and rear end looked good, u-joints look good, tranny mount looked good, drive shaft doesn't looked cracked or bent. The drive shaft does seem like it has to much play where it enters the tranny or "tail shaft housing" and the seal is pushed out. It looks like a spacer or something is on the the part of the drive shaft that enters the tranny that is 1in or so long and I am wondering if that is supposed to be in the tail shaft housing, because mine isn't. I don't know if this makes and sense and sorry for the long post. I will get a picture tomorrow. My car is a automatic.

Thanks, Mike
sounds like the "spacer" ur talking about is a tail shaft bushing or something.. there should be 4 bolts and u can pull off the tail shaft.. and have a look....
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

You are correct. I just got finished fixing it. The bushing came out of the tail shaft. It was a $8 fix. There are actually 6 bolts on this bell housing. Could I have a 4l80E?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are correct. I just got finished fixing it. The bushing came out of the tail shaft. It was a $8 fix. There are actually 6 bolts on this bell housing. Could I have a 4l80E?
A 4L60 has 6 bolts. the only way you will have a 4L80 is if someone did a connversion
Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I figured if it had a 4l80e someone would have had to swap it in. I thought I might have got luck. Did some of the 4l60e's come with 4 bolts? Any one on here around tyler or longview?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

now that i think about it... i thin the old th350/400 had a 4 bolt tail shaft thing
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

700r4 are 4 bolt