Buying a car from out of state... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a car from out of state... Please Help

I am looking at buying a car from California. What will be the process for me to get it registered and titled here? I just want to make sure that I get the process right the first time so that I don't have to keep doing paperwork back and forth. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure he signs the title and tell him to print and sign a 130u form. When you get the car you have to get it inspected and ask for a Green form from the inspection place. Take everything to the court house and you should be good.

Have him give you a copy of his drivers licence and fill out a Power of Attorney form.

Power of attorney form
http://www.dcsfcu.com/images/POA.pdf

Here is the 130-U form
http://www.txdot.gov/txdoteforms/Get...vletConfig.xml
Old 04-30-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Thank you Bad Chad. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Bad Chad, The only problem I see with the power of attorney is that it already has the state of Texas filled in for the owner. Since they are in California... how would they fill that out?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WILDMN
Bad Chad, The only problem I see with the power of attorney is that it already has the state of Texas filled in for the owner. Since they are in California... how would they fill that out?
I seen that too,see if they have one for California. It's not needed to transfer the title but if something is not signed in the proper place by the previous owner it will allow for you to sign for them.

Maybe get him to get a notarized power of attorney with a copy of his licence will do it too.

Transferring a title is easy but can be a pain in the *** if certain places are not signed and the person lives 1/2 way across the us.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my car in Florida. Like Bad Chad said. As long as the title is properly signed over, you won't have a hard time.

When I got my car, the previous owner went with me to get the title transferred to insure nothing got missed. If I remember correctly, registration was just like any new car, if you have the title and have insurance, you're set.

Are you going to Calo for the car? Or is it being shipped?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

I am having a buddy look at it for me today that lives out there. He will be handling the purchase for me since the guy is military and getting stationed over seas. Then I was going to go get the car and the paperwork from my buddy.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I know I don't have much information about your plan to purchase the car, but be cautious about scams. It's good that your friend is going to see the car in person before you buy it, but also make sure you use a secure method of paying for the car.

While it may be true that they're about to be deployed overseas, I've seen scammers use that line before to make people think there isn't a lot of time to buy the "car", and because it seems like a legitimate reason to sell a great car cheap.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I am not sure, but I dont think thats the case. He has been a member of LS1 Tech since 2009 and had a screen name on here before that in his sig. He says he has owned the car for 5 years. He took it down to my buddy yesterday so he could take a look and all.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

So, just an update. The car is purchased. My buddy has the car and the paperwork. The title, transfer papers, power of attorney for the car for Texas and California. Going to go pick it up next week. Thank you guys for the info.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet. Hope you're happy with it, drive safe on the trip on the way home.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pete137
Sweet. Hope you're happy with it, drive safe on the trip on the way home.
I went and picked up the car. I got it home late last night. Only a couple of problems I noticed, but nothing major. The check engine light came on for a misfire, so I will have to track it down, but it did not run rough or badly except occasionally when going down in rpm's. It needs new tires. And about 20 miles from my house I lost the passenger side axle seal I believe. But overall a good purchase. I believe the owner before me described it well. Thanks for all of you guy's help. I need to post some questions about fixing the axle seal in the other forum so if you know about that please feel free to post there. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Didnt bother reading everything, but all you need is to take an application for texas title with you for the owner to sign, get the title and when you get here to TX get it inspected so you can get the vi30 form(since its out of state) and take it to your county tax office. Apply for a texas title and youll get your registration there too and youre good to go.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Didnt bother reading everything, but all you need is to take an application for texas title with you for the owner to sign, get the title and when you get here to TX get it inspected so you can get the vi30 form(since its out of state) and take it to your county tax office. Apply for a texas title and youll get your registration there too and youre good to go.
You could've at least read his most recent post.

Glad you got the car home safe WILDMN. I know from experience how shitty a drive home from a distant state can be with a car you know hardly anything about. I had a blow out on the front driver's side tire when I was bringing mine home from Florida. Then while helping my friend bring his car home from Michigan, a spring broke off from the clutch and got lodged somewhere. And we lost 1st, 3rd, and kind of lost 4th. So we basically had 2nd and 5th gear. That's the last time I drive a newly bought car home from that far away.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pete137
You could've at least read his most recent post.

Glad you got the car home safe WILDMN. I know from experience how shitty a drive home from a distant state can be with a car you know hardly anything about. I had a blow out on the front driver's side tire when I was bringing mine home from Florida. Then while helping my friend bring his car home from Michigan, a spring broke off from the clutch and got lodged somewhere. And we lost 1st, 3rd, and kind of lost 4th. So we basically had 2nd and 5th gear. That's the last time I drive a newly bought car home from that far away.
I hear ya. It was an experience just wondering what the hell was gonna happen. The best part was getting pulled over in Arizona. The state trooper pulled me over and comes up to the window. He says from the looks of your tags you don't know our laws... but headlight covers are illegal here. I kinda looked at him for a second and said I don't have headlight covers. He said yes you do, I pulled a camaro over with them yesterday. I said this is not a camaro... watch this, and flipped up the headlights and this is the funniest thing ever... He looks at me and said "This car LOOKS kinda like a camaro... Have a nice day." I laughed for an hour at that cop who didn't have a clue.

Quick Reply: Buying a car from out of state... Please Help