Shift light setting????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift light setting????

Where would you set your shift light to come in? If your dyno graph shows the power to break over at around 7K would you set the light to 6700, 6900, or right to 7K? To me it seems like if you could shift fast enough maybe you should run it up closer to the limit before shifting. I know in some cases that if its set too close to the limit some can hit the limit before the light actually comes in. Any thoughts????
Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where is your rev limiter set?
Personally, I'd start low. It takes time for you to notice it then react and start shifting, especially when you're concentrating on other things while racing. To decide on the shift point, take it to the track and try different settings to see which works best for you and your setup. You may find that takin it to the edge doesn't net the best ET.

Even with a shift light, shifting by feel is primary IMO.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I couldnt agree with more. I should be set at 7200 and the Raptor light at 6900. I dont 1/4 mile just do Standing Mile, and persuing road racing events. I did notice that by the time the light lit I would just bump the limit before I could shift it in time. It didnt happen all the time but it did happen. If my memory serves me correctly when tuning the car the power started to off just prior to 6700. I short shifted the car purposly and slowed down considerably. Even though I was on the backside of the curve it produced the best trap speed at the time. Im going to try to back it down a little at a time in order to stay off the rev limiter.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

I think you should definitely set it a bit lower than your limiter to accommodate for reaction time. I've never actually used mine while racing.