Radiator Hose Popping Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Hose Popping Off

Hey yall I'm new here so I'm not 100% sure this is the appropriate place to post this...

I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6 and my radiator hose popped off while I was driving today causing my engine to start to over heat and pouring all of my coolant onto the road... I'm just curious if anyone has any idea why this is happening? This is the second time this has happened to me since I've had this car, thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its not tight enough??? Or ur thermostat could be up for a change
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I would look closely at the water neck, the plastic deteriorates over time and can allow the rolled lip to become smaller and the hose won't hold. It could also be that the hose and or the clamp are bad. And if you are overheating then you also have another issue.

It should blow coolant out the cap and into the overflow tank before it pops any hoses if they are connected properly (tightly) and the outlets/inlets they are connected to are in good shape. The only times I have seen this not go this way is when there was a bad cap in place that was not releasing pressure or a bad head gasket that introduced way too much pressure into the system before the cap could release it all. I have had problems with a cap not releasing pressure before, but my radiator blew up before the hoses popped off, and actually it blew up the hose another time, not blew it off. That was on my turbo integra. My water neck deteriorated and crumbled on my Camaro.

My bet is that the radiator inlet is in bad shape, or the hose and clamp are, very likely the cap as well.

Check the radiator closely where the hose connects then for good measure put a new cap, new hose, and clamps on it. Get that overheating problem checked and fixed before you need a new engine. I would take it to a shop and get them to check for blown headgaskets as well.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The thing is it started to over heat after the hose came off and I lost all coolant, so wouldn't that be expected to happen? I caught the temp gauge rising before the temp gauge was all the way up
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like stated above, check the clamps and be sure everything is tight.

Could also be a blown head gasket putting too much pressure in the cooling system.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
The thing is it started to over heat after the hose came off and I lost all coolant, so wouldn't that be expected to happen? I caught the temp gauge rising before the temp gauge was all the way up
Sorry I started thinking before I continued reading, I now see you said the hose popped off causing it to overheat.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

let me guess, worm clamps?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by c0rey
Worm clamps are holding just fine on mine and hundreds of other cars I have put them on. Have to be careful not to strip them but they hold just fine if everything else is in good condition.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c0rey
No I have the factory hose clamps on there, I hear they hold up the best anyways.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try some tbolt clamps if you think the clamp is a problem for some reason.

Quick Reply: Radiator Hose Popping Off