Horsepower Gain??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horsepower Gain??

Ok, so the appearance mods are pretty much finished, minus a few small details, now onto the power gain aspect. I have no idea what I will need, or what route to go to accomplish this, but I'm wanting 400+, so I'm looking for you knowledgeable members to give me some advice of what to do to accomplish this. Not interested in spraying, or a turbo. Also, if ya can give me an idea of what the additions will cost so I have a rough estimate, I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Any current mods done to it? M6 or an A4? Yr? Do you daily drive it? give us the basic info of the car.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Cam plus supporting bolt ons and a tune = 400hp just about every time on an LS1
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6tx
Any current mods done to it? M6 or an A4? Yr? Do you daily drive it? give us the basic info of the car.
currently the car is daily driven, hopefully to change after the first of the year. It is an automatic, flowmaster exhaust is the only change performance wise.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
Cam plus supporting bolt ons and a tune = 400hp just about every time on an LS1
any idea price wise to get me there?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Really just depends on how you do it and what you're willing to spend on stuff like headers etc. Your car being an auto you'll need a converter too...

Considering your car is bone stock, probably looking at around $3k just to throw an estimate out there
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I told you Cam,stall,headers,tune you will be happy with the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTgH...eature=feedlik
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSHAWK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTgH...eature=feedlik
thanks for pointing me in the right direction Sean. That car sounds really good, just for an idea, I sent a pm to sam to see what I would be looking at. Like I said, it may not be 'til after the first of the year when I get taxes and a daily, but I like to research things before hand.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

x2 Not many a4 will see power like the car in the vid with cam only, but you will be happy. My car put down 394 with everything up there, intake and tb as well, and I was happy with the way it ran.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My advice is to start with tires, suspension, and brakes. More power is great, but useless if you can't hook.

I add brakes because if IMO you need to counter going faster with being able to stop better. Consider it cheap insurance or an ounce of prevention. You can make a big difference in braking relatively inexpensively too. Some good performance pads and fresh fluid make a huge difference over stock.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
My advice is to start with tires, suspension, and brakes. More power is great, but useless if you can't hook.

I add brakes because if IMO you need to counter going faster with being able to stop better. Consider it cheap insurance or an ounce of prevention. You can make a big difference in braking relatively inexpensively too. Some good performance pads and fresh fluid make a huge difference over stock.
He has a new set of tires... He has new shocks all the ways around.

As for brakes he has new cross drilled and slotted rotors with new pads

With him you could say that's one of his "appearance mods" because you can see it when you walk around the car.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He has a new set of tires... He has new shocks all the ways around.

As for brakes he has new cross drilled and slotted rotors with new pads

With him you could say that's one of his "appearance mods" because you can see it when you walk around the car.
New tires means little. Can he spin them at stock power levels? If yes, it'll be worse with more power. There is much more to suspension than new shocks.

X-drilled and slotted rotors are an appearance mod. Are the new pads performance pads or non-performance ceramic pads to keep dust down?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This probably sounds abnormal, but I'm not planning on taking it to the track or doing a lot of racing with it, I'm sure that brings up the question then why do you want to add the extra power, simply i guess just because....
Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
New tires means little. Can he spin them at stock power levels? If yes, it'll be worse with more power. There is much more to suspension than new shocks.

X-drilled and slotted rotors are an appearance mod. Are the new pads performance pads or non-performance ceramic pads to keep dust down?
Originally Posted by YellowTA1
This probably sounds abnormal, but I'm not planning on taking it to the track or doing a lot of racing with it, I'm sure that brings up the question then why do you want to add the extra power, simply i guess just because....
YellowTA1 summed it up for me..

He doesn’t want big and little’s… As for his combo I’ve told him the best way to go for what he’s wanting. He made this post before I got to talk with him about his wants and needs. I think he's good to go for now.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Spend a few weeks in the genIII internal and external sections of this forum. Read as much as you can and read all the stickies. also read the dyno results and comparison sections. There are a hundred ways to reach your goal. How much it cost and what way to go about it is totally up to you.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1-ls2-l...performance-3/
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HTX
Spend a few weeks in the genIII internal and external sections of this forum. Read as much as you can and read all the stickies. also read the dyno results and comparison sections. There are a hundred ways to reach your goal. How much it cost and what way to go about it is totally up to you.
I agree with this above. I only had about 2K to spend and I was under that on the parts and install.

Intake 175.00 - Craigslist
Heads W/ Springs 400.00 - Morotshop throwaway
MS4 Cam 375.00 - Ebay
Rods 110.00 - Texas Speed
Rockers 260.00 - Texas Speed
LS2 Chain 42.00 - Texas Speed
Headers 225.00 - Tiago from Tech
Cometic Gaskets 100 - Ebay
PVC, tubing, hoses, brackets - 30.00 - Autozone

Labor to install : 0.00 = did it myself w/ some help from Tech guys (BlackFly105 & 06TX4.8)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 AM
11 Second Club

Power with A4's are not correlated with 1/4 times. I made right at 380rw and put out 11.3x's. Just find a combo you're comfortable with for DD and track use.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
I'm with you on this one. And Sam is a good guy to deal with he tuned my car and I can really tell a big difference. Like Sean said you will be happy with a cam. I'd install a cam, u/d pulley, headers, stall and have Sam tune it and be done with it.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

I'm in the same boat as you yellowta1.. I have a yank ss3600 in the garage that's been Colecting dust for 2 yrs.. My plans were to rebuilt my tranny but that alone is 3k or just alittle under it.. I might just put my tv in my stock tranny and cam it and hope for the tranny to hold up...