Biggest smog legal LT1 cam?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Biggest smog legal LT1 cam?

I've been tossing around the idea of upping the cam in the ole' LT1, since the car is already in pieces. But unfortunately, I live in smog land (Round Rock, Williamson County).

My current setup: 97 LT1, stock bottom end, LE2 heads, 222/230 112 LSA cam (passed CA smog previously), ported intake, 37# injectors, plus all supporting valvetrain and bolt-ons. Car is an M6 with 3.73 gears.

I like the current setup, but I've been thinking of a cam with more up top, since it's no longer a DD. The bigger lope would be a bonus. Any input is fine, I'm just getting some ideas for the future. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your car is a 97 you can get whatever size cam you want... they use the dlc to check readiness codes and don't use the tailpipe test (that is for cars 95 and older, 96+ cars get the emissions test from the dlc)... just make sure all the safety items are good and if you have any readiness codes that won't set or codes that pop up due to the cam then just have your tuner tune them out and you should be good to go
Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

^what he said^
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is good to know, thanks guys. On a seperate note, do they do an inspection for all smog equipment? I still have them all (EGR, AIR, EVAP), but if I can get rid of them I will.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That is good to know, thanks guys. On a seperate note, do they do an inspection for all smog equipment? I still have them all (EGR, AIR, EVAP), but if I can get rid of them I will.
if the car was equipped with it originally then it is supposed to be there but honestly most inspectors don't even recognize that... some might look at the sticker under the hood if they aren't sure but it's not too likely... the only thing i would worry about is them looking for cats... i would leave the evap but ditch the egr and air pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biggest smog legal LT1 cam?