Houston Balancer Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston Balancer Tool

So... I'm about 6 days away from my first attempt at work on an LS powered car. I recently obtained an 06 CTS-V, and will be attempting to install a set of ported ls3 heads and a cam in it this coming weekend. However, I seem to have overlooked a tool I will need, the balancer install tool. Does anyone have one that they feel like loaning out for a weekend? I'm going to try to order one on monday, but who knows if it will arrive in time.

Anyone have any suggestions for the heads/cam job? It looks relatively straight forward, and I think I can actually get the cam out without even removing the condenser. The tricky part will be limping the car somewhere for a tune probably.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tried oreillys or auto zone for the loaner tools? Houston has a HUGE car crowd so you should be able to get not only tools, but a get-together if you offer cookout Wish I were still in Texas for the car scene (and thats about the only reason I would be there. . .)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM
TECH Regular

I have a home made pulley instal tool, it's two bolts welded together, but it works fine. I'm in Cypress.

Also, just remove the radiator and there is enough slack in the AC lines to let it drop out of the way. No need to break the lines and lose your charge.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Duffster
tried oreillys or auto zone for the loaner tools? Houston has a HUGE car crowd so you should be able to get not only tools, but a get-together if you offer cookout Wish I were still in Texas for the car scene (and thats about the only reason I would be there. . .)
Haha. I should have known a little food and beer would get a turnout of car people. The places I've been to look at loaner tools have the removal tool, but not the install tool. I'd like to try to avoid using a homemade tool, because knowing my luck, I'll break it off in my daily driver and be stranded for a month.

Hopefully the car will actually run, though the more I think about it, the more doubtful it sounds. Anyone know if the LS2 pcm will run the LS3 injectors, LS3 map, bigger cam, and LS3 heads on its own? I'm guessing probably not. I could probably rig up the LS2 map sensor temporarily, but it won't fix the other variables. I'm not super familiar with how smart the factory computer is.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

use a ls7 crank bolt to start the pulley in then when the bolt stopes use ur new crank bolt thats how i do it its easy the ls7 bolt is longer than the original ls2 or ls1 bolt