2012 F250 6.7 FX4 diesel, yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2012 F250 6.7 FX4 diesel, yes or no

Looking to trade in my 2010 Tundra 5.7 4WD crew max for a 3/4 ton cc diesel. Looking very strongly at a new 2012 lariat and would like honest opinions about the new Ford engine. As we all know the 6.4's were total junk for the most part and the 6.0's were not that much better. I am a Gm fan for cars and suv's but thier trucks don't do much for me appearance wise. Looking to do something within the next week or so so post away. As always your opinions are appreciated.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

The owner of the company I work for has a 2011 F250 XLT with the 6.7, just bought it at the beginning of the year. He puts a lot of miles on his trucks driving across the country to meet with distributors, customers and to put our products on display at tradeshows. I think he already has around 20-25K on it with no problems to date. I would still be wary of Fords new generation of diesels, none have proven as reliable as the old 7.3. Although I have not heard much bad about the 6.7L yet. The 6.2L gas engine is no slouch either at 385HP and 405TQ.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Looking to trade in my 2010 Tundra 5.7 4WD crew max for a 3/4 ton cc diesel. Looking very strongly at a new 2012 lariat and would like honest opinions about the new Ford engine. As we all know the 6.4's were total junk for the most part and the 6.0's were not that much better. I am a Gm fan for cars and suv's but thier trucks don't do much for me appearance wise. Looking to do something within the next week or so so post away. As always your opinions are appreciated.

the 6.4's are total junk eh? tell me more about all your horror stories and experience with them.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't even know they had a 6.4. Must have been a super special edition.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Didn't even know they had a 6.4. Must have been a super special edition.
All 2008-2010 f250/f350 diesels were a 6.4 sir, not a specail edition at all, standard issue. Check your info before posting a sarcastic comment and making an *** out of yourself like you just did.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
the 6.4's are total junk eh? tell me more about all your horror stories and experience with them.
I never owned one or any 3/4 ton diesel, Just heard numerous nightmare stories from actual owners of the 08-2010's. I also know of a close source (on here) who works on them on a daily basis and heard some pretty scary stuff with the 6.4's.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Ok, guys I'm not looking for a pissing match just wanted some actual feedback on the 6.7's lol, Lets try to keep this civilized pls thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
The owner of the company I work for has a 2011 F250 XLT with the 6.7, just bought it at the beginning of the year. He puts a lot of miles on his trucks driving across the country to meet with distributors, customers and to put our products on display at tradeshows. I think he already has around 20-25K on it with no problems to date. I would still be wary of Fords new generation of diesels, none have proven as reliable as the old 7.3. Although I have not heard much bad about the 6.7L yet. The 6.2L gas engine is no slouch either at 385HP and 405TQ.
much appreciated sir, I'm hearing some favorable reviews including mpg's while towing with the new engine but would like to get more before shelling out $ and being stuck.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

All 2008-2010 f250/f350 diesels were a 6.4 sir, not a specail edition at all, standard issue. Check your info before posting a sarcastic comment and making an *** out of yourself like you just did.
No sarcastic comment I really didn't know they made 6.4, never messed with diesels. Now that I reread my post it did come off as sounding sarcastic. My apologies. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever your choice may be.

Now that I actually stop and think about it, I do remember hearing of the 6.4's
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a 2011 f250 everyday at work...save yourself ....these trucks are the biggest piles of **** I have ever seen..struggles with trailers not alot of room and worst mpg out of the 3/4 /1ton trucks
If you want a badass diesel get a 2006 or newer duramax...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28
In a 2011 f250 everyday at work...save yourself ....these trucks are the biggest piles of **** I have ever seen..struggles with trailers not alot of room and worst mpg out of the 3/4 /1ton trucks
Thanks,what are you averaging mpg wise with the trailer and how heavy trailer are you towing and is it open or enclosed? I will entertain the Gmc duramax but the Ford gives me more options per buck vs Gm unlessi opt for the Denali which is out of my budget.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Launching!

No sarcastic comment I really didn't know they made 6.4, never messed with diesels. Now that I reread my post it did come off as sounding sarcastic. My apologies. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever your choice may be.

It's all good no apologizes needed. Ya they made the 6.4 for 2 model years and put it to rest, was not very popular at all.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If I were shopping to buy a new 2011-2012 diesel truck, and all of the financial deals were the same for each brand, I'd go GM Duramax 2011+

2011 and newer has an all new chassis/steering under it, they drive much nicer than the previous 2008 Duramax I had. I like the Dodge interior/exterior, but the current Cummins is a little thirsty like the Ford is. If I buy a diesel, it needs good mpg primarily.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I never owned one or any 3/4 ton diesel, Just heard numerous nightmare stories from actual owners of the 08-2010's. I also know of a close source (on here) who works on them on a daily basis and heard some pretty scary stuff with the 6.4's.

you always hear the worst, but out of the millions that are made they haven't had that extreme of an issue.

the shitty part is dealing with regen, epa emissions/clean air act deal.

I've owned my 2008 brand new and have had zero issues. It has been an amazing truck and hell even makes great power with tune/dpf delete/intake. Surprises most people :o
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

What are you wanting to tow that the Tundra won't pull? I say this because I know guys that have heavy duty diesel trucks and don't even own a trailer. All they haul is their lunch box to work. Then they try to say the diesel is for gas mileage, unless you are a hot shot driver the math doesn't work. Any 1/2 ton gas truck is a better deal finacially, of course that Camaro you already have will save you gas over any truck. The other thing is you can actually make money on used vehicles, you will always lose a ton of money in first year depreciation on a new vehicle.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28

man that sucks, but i would never take the word from somebody that drives the **** if an ill maintained work truck.

I can't say much for gas mileage as all clean air act diesels aren't getting good mileage period w/o the tune.

although it is the lie meter i did calculate it out and typically get 18/25 when i was on stock tires.

around 12/15 without the tune on 35" tires.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup, 2008-2010 was the first clean air act generation diesel. 6.4 liter with sequential turbo setup.

mine is a Job III

above view, you can see where the first turbo feeds directly into the second.

4" from the factory, loaded with the the dpf system. VERY heavy and restrictive.

when i had the mods installed before my replacement ranch hand, leveling kit + add a leaf and 35x12.50's

took this last weekend, my overall mileage from round trip to dallas.

*forgot to mention, was bought new March 2009 for 33,130 TTL out the door (i'm an A plan buyer with ford) ***

have not one single issue with this truck.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

beyond needing the cab off to do some of the major mechanical work if something does happen to fail some of the major issues i've seen were due to negligence of maintenance.

fuel filters are a huge deal on this truck, instead of using the high pressure oil pump which controlled injectors and other various things on the previos 6.0 and 7.3, they run a flywheel driven high pressure fuel pump on the 6.4 and now 6.7. It doesn't take much to destroy this fuel system which ford is very particular on which fuel filters used, and how often you're supposed to change them. The truck fuel rail pressure is ~6,000psi and can get up too 29,000psi under full throttle.

pretty amazing machines and seems they are getting great longevity, especially out of tuned trucks.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thaught them tie-yotas cood pool them larj lodes im a sprirul up a mountan?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys, kinda what I wanted to hear. Ok truth of the matter my Tundra pulls my light trailer just fine. Yes it sucks on the gas while doing so but it does the job non the less. As for the 6.4's I'm only going by what i heard from mechanics,other Ford owners and talk in general even the sales people advised against it (at Ford) obviously to persuade me into a new one. I guess I'm just wanting a nice diesel 4WD to play around with. My Tundra averages 14.5 empty city/highway which is not too awful bad and it's a hell of a truck. i just like the look of the new Ford sd's.Secondly I know the duramax is more proven and less thirsty but outside of the Sierra Denali they don't do much for me and the denali is too pricey for me. I'm leaning on the F250 but might look at a cpo Denali idk. Will keep you all updated.

Quick Reply: 2012 F250 6.7 FX4 diesel, yes or no