rib recipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rib recipes?

hey guys, im about to smoke my ribs for the first time, i was wondering what kind of rub yall use on yours, and if youd be willing to share your recipe! Im looking for kind of a sweet flavor, and id like to get a nice carmelized sugar crust on top. Ill be smoking it with mesquite chips and using a propane smoker... not a big fan of it but its what ill be using. thanks guys! oh, and what kind of gains can i see out of this setup?lmao

Oh and just so i know im getting this right, i should smoke them for around 3 hours at about 225 correct?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jb451
hey guys, im about to smoke my ribs for the first time, i was wondering what kind of rub yall use on yours, and if youd be willing to share your recipe! Im looking for kind of a sweet flavor, and id like to get a nice carmelized sugar crust on top. Ill be smoking it with mesquite chips and using a propane smoker... not a big fan of it but its what ill be using. thanks guys! oh, and what kind of gains can i see out of this setup?lmao

Oh and just so i know im getting this right, i should smoke them for around 3 hours at about 225 correct?
Sorry I can't help you with the ribs but.... I got a kick out of your comment lol

The rib rub's worth a good 25 HP to the taste buds lol hahah
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Launching!

find you own way man all i can say but i usually just season with OB-q(locally made spice), and other spices and lay my rub(homemade..a lil different every time depending on whats in the kitchen) on at about the last 30 mins once the heats at about 180 or lower ive cooked them at low heat for 4hours although wth propane ive found that all you need is good hour and a good pork slab for them to fall of the bone, i usually go wth kroger for ribs. butlike i say if your smoking your plan sounds good and the weather is perfect GOOD LUCK let us know how good they come just dont cook em with a barbecue sauce or rub man it will just burn, wait until they are just about done.a lil crunch is ok though in my book. as long as its tender inside.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

lucky, what is "low" heat? is that the 180 or lower you were talking about? so low heat at 4 hours is what you do?

I think i need to put this recipe in LS1Tech terms:

Starting out with a bare KROGER pork ribs, trimming .05 of fat off sides
-Membrane delete
-1cup shot of rub for marinade
-dyno at 200 degrees for 4-6 hours

Full Bolt ons-
-Baked beans
-potato salad
-bread

Heads/Cams-
-Beer
-Beer
-More beer!

Coupled with a "built" chessecake from the cheesecake factory!

You know you like this site and cars too much when you can turn compare food to cars....lmao I might do a test run here tomorrow! Ill definitely post when i actually smoke em!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Don't go overboard with the rub dude, try to keep it basic. My rub consists of seven ingredients two of which are salt and pepper the rest, well the rest I cant tell ya. I like to add a little Cayenne pepper sometimes to turn up the heat a bit.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

basic as in not a lot of ingredients? lol in all honesty, i didnt think anyone would post their recipes, they're about as sacred as their f-bodys, if not more!
What about a marinade? isnt it good to marinade them overnight? i know i do that with my steaks.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

I put a lil bit of rub on it then sear it pretty good for a few minutes and the wrap them in foil and pour beer all over em and then set them on the side of the pit for a few hours. When we're out hunting they stay on there all day and it seems the longer they're on there the better.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

what kind of beer? im trying to get all sorts of ideas!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jb451

NO need to marinade pork ribs.

Step1: Get ribs
Step 2: wash ribs in cold water
Step 3: Lightly season with seasoned salt and brown sugar mixture
Step 4: use bottle of Italian dressian(shake well) and pour on rib and rub it in
good.
Step 5: Don't use Mesquite on pork, use Hickory chips (you won't be
disappointed.
Step 6: Cook on low heat 4 hours and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

whatever beer you like.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Teching In

1. cold water wash on ribs
2. completely coat them thickly with brown sugar (nothing else)
3. place in baking pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil
4. place in oven at 200 deg at ten the night before
5. take them out at five the next morning
6. the pan will be full of juice
7. lift the ribs onto a grill with tongs (meat will be falling off of the bones)
8. smoke for two hours with the wood of choice
9. enjoy
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Lucky ex is right, the obq rub are really good and have several to chose from. You can get them at traders village or here http://www.obiecue.com/ I use this stuff on everything, it rocks. Just grabbed me more smooth move last weekend.

Low and slow, different size briskest will require different times. I did a 3lb on for 3 and a half hours at 275.

Good luck, and if you have any leftovers I get dibs on a plate. Lol!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'm a Yankee but I have a smoker.

I usually do a hot rub and then a sweet sauce. I like my ribs with sauce so I sauce at the end and sometimes I wrap them in foil.

You can make your own rubs too, google Steve Raichlen and see if there are any of his recipes posted.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Won't go into too much detail here, but base of the rub is brown sugar, with slap'ya'mama hot and pepper, you can experiment with the blend amounts but mine is top secret

And as someone above stated, ditch the mesquite, go hickory, or pecan also works very well
Old 11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
Won't go into too much detail here, but base of the rub is brown sugar, with slap'ya'mama hot and pepper, you can experiment with the blend amounts but mine is top secret

And as someone above stated, ditch the mesquite, go hickory, or pecan also works very well
I agree but slap ya mama is good on fish maybe not on ribs. OP also you might want to soak your wood chips in water for about 30 minutes plus before you use them it will burn slower and smoke better. Not sure about the time on propane since i have a smoker but 4 plus hours wraped in foil for about 80% of the time= fall off the bone. Also 1 hour before you take them off get a brush and brush on your favorite bbq sauce for a nice glaze.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honey and brown sugar for the last hour or so will give you that sweet carmalized texture you want.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

last set I did...
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...y-ribs-491022/
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want full details you can pm me, I won't waste my time adding it here.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2-colorado
1a. cold water wash on ribs
1b. cut rib slabs into smaller cut (4-5 rib bones)
2. completely coat them with black pepper, onion salt and celery salt (nothing else)
3. place in baking pan and wrapping and sealing each rib segment tightly with aluminum foil
4. place in oven at 200 deg and cook for 1 hour for each pound of ribs
5. let them cool to room temp
6. the pan will be full of juice
7. lift the ribs onto a grill with tongs (meat will be falling off of the bones) and easier to handle because they were cut into segments in step 1b.
8. grill for 15 minutes slathering your favorite flavored BBQ sauce on each side and turning often
9. enjoy

This ...

My variations are in red ...
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love to cook out but don't smoke meats to often the first time I did ribs on own it was about 2am we were already drunk. Rubbed them with ketchup and mustard cooked them for three hours and pulled them out and covered them with head country. They were Damn good went to bed when the sun came up !

O BTW we were drinking dos equis and jack oh and some Malibu yeah I know but we ran out of the good stuff !