Any Grand National owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Grand National owners here?

Just wanted to say whats up and how do you guys like your cars? Im hopefully going to pick up an 1987 GN next week and I was trying to get some pro's and con's about them from first hand from some owners than rather hear BS from people who never had one... The one I'm picking up is an single owner 58k mile car, I cant wait to start playing with it
Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

My father bought one new in 87 and bought a 2nd one (WE4) from a buddy in the 90's, i had the WE4 from when i got my license till about 99/2000 and i still have the one my dad bought new, but it hasn't moved in 10 years, maybe 11...i can't remember anymore. I'd probably answer questions better than I'd volunteer information, so ask away.

We have several Turbo Buick owners on here, a few of them have some pretty decent knowledge. My dad's buddy that he bought the WE4 from is on here, he is extremely intelligent and can probably still remember part numbers off the top of his head. He has a few Turbo Buicks, maybe he will pop in.

Anyways, i don't really remember having too many problems other than with the transmission...getting it hot and continuing to beat on it isn't a good idea. Like most cars, intake, exhaust from the turbo back (3 inch dp) and a chip will really make a big difference. There is a product that is called a power plate, they are supposed to direct airflow around to the runners a lot better and keep the rear cylinders from leaning out...you can also get a little more boost on pump gas before you start to see knock with that product...but it came out after my car went down for hibernation. It's an old car that doesn't slow down very well so just make sure you don't run up on someone or a corner, it can't turn either.

Scanmaster was a popular product for them, i have always had one displaying knock retard...i run an a/f gauge also just for peace of mind. Fuel pump hotwire kit is another must. Actually, before i make a huge list of parts, what does yours have done to it...or this potential one.

edit: If you are into having a car that handles kinda well, GNSPerformance has been working with DSE on some suspension upgrade including coilovers...check them out.

Last edited by kwiker; 11-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pros: They are easy to make fast.

Cons: They are hard to keep fast. Lots O Tuning.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

LOL, the car is completely stock. I am purchasing it from a good family friend, her husband was the original owner and just recently passed away and I now have the opportunity off purchasing it. The car is completely stock and has never been touched. The car is in overall great shape the interior is pristine and the body has a small rust spot on the fender and a tiny chip on the front end but the paint is ok for an 87... The car starts up and runs great! Didnt get more than half throttle cause I didn't want to give the 72 year old passenger a heart attack lol...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

check out lone star performance buick club.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

goddamn, what do you do for a living? when i was your age i drove a pos econobox that my parents bought me because i couldnt afford a decent car, let alone 6
Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should check out Turbo Buick.com or T6P.COM OR GNTTYPE.ORG
Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Pros: They are easy to make fast.

Cons: They are hard to keep fast. Lots O Tuning.
Troof.