Offshore ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Offshore ?'s

I have noticed alot of people in the Texas section work in the oil and gas industry. I was wondering if anyone works for TO, and or been to there TOPS school, I am going there next week and wondering what to expect. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

I work in the oilfield up in East Texas but not real familiar with offshore stuff. So really dont know why I even posted here. Im bored at work......LOL! Beauty of the oilfield.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilverHawk#183
I have noticed alot of people in the Texas section work in the oil and gas industry. I was wondering if anyone works for TO, and or been to there TOPS school, I am going there next week and wondering what to expect. Thanks for any info.
I went to TOPS about 12 years ago so I couldn't really tell you what to expect. When I was there we stayed at the training center for 2 weeks and couldn't leave, just like being on the rig. TO is a great company to work for.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Ive always worked as a contractor (3rd party), but ive worked many TO Ships/Semis, and they treat thier employees very well, especially with experience. If your brand new, expect some flack, but stay with it, the oil industry is good, solid money (Im 9 years in and im constantly in awe that i get paid what i do)
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

How do you go about getting into this?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I would also like a little bit more info, Shell Oil is sending me an offer package in a few weeks to intern on one of their rigs as an Instrument Tech (I&E) in Louisiana. I graduate in May, apparently they have a deal with the college where you can do school work on the rig on your off time.

So whats it like on the off time? Hows the food? There a gym? Computers? What do you do other than sleep/work?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If your on a shell job the food is good, if your on any other, just hit or miss
Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
If your on a shell job the food is good, if your on any other, just hit or miss
Thanks, looking forward to it now haha.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Thanks, looking forward to it now haha.
So whats it like on the off time?

Like away from the rig? Put it this way, every day your stuck out there it's a Monday morning for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Every day your home is a Saturday.

Hows the food?

It's food, some times it's not bad, other times it'll make a turd and not much else. Just depends on who does the catering and if they give a ****/hate you. Shell I hear has good food.

There a gym?

Yes, some of the nicer rigs have nicer gyms, some of the crappier rigs have crappier gyms.

Computers?

Rig internet blows *** as a rule, some have wifi in living quarters, others don't. Just depends on the rig. If your third party it'll just depend, we always bring our own

What do you do other than sleep/work?

Wait.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
So whats it like on the off time?

Like away from the rig? Put it this way, every day your stuck out there it's a Monday morning for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Every day your home is a Saturday.

Hows the food?

It's food, some times it's not bad, other times it'll make a turd and not much else. Just depends on who does the catering and if they give a ****/hate you. Shell I hear has good food.

There a gym?

Yes, some of the nicer rigs have nicer gyms, some of the crappier rigs have crappier gyms.

Computers?

Rig internet blows *** as a rule, some have wifi in living quarters, others don't. Just depends on the rig. If your third party it'll just depend, we always bring our own

What do you do other than sleep/work?

Wait.
I appreciate the input, I dont think ill mind it to much. Im seperating out of the Air National Guard in April after 3 years and 5 years prior active duty. 2 weeks from home isn't **** compared to 8 months stints, 12 hour days isnt **** for 2 weeks compared to a constant 28. Im sure the food isnt as bad as MRE's all compared to active service haha, so I should do well. Also the pay and benifits are 10-fold compared to military service.

I really hope i get that package soon. Camaro could use a finishing lol.

BTW, what do you do out there? Overall you happy??

-Justin
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4

BTW, what do you do out there? Overall you happy??

-Justin
By my outlook title I am suppose to be running mud, but given how things have changed after the Horizon I have been doing EPA Permit Compliance. Before it was kind of an afterthought so to speak, but given how tough BSEE (Agency formerly known as MSS, BOEMRE...Mickey Mouse) they want more experienced guys on the deep water job. Working off shore has it's plus' and minus', for one like you can see the pay and benefit are great. Being gone from home sucks, but at the beginning of the year I was in training for 9 weeks, I thought being stuck in an office sucked. Field experience is pretty good stuff, you just need the right kind if you want to make it back to an office or further your opportunities. It's changing, but off shore is the last "blue collar" industry where some one can make a really great living.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I work on the BP Thunderhorse rig. Like what was stated the Rig life drags on. I work 21-21s and seems like its always the second week. Although you do get your pay check and ask yourself "damn, I get paid this much." My job (ROVs) is kinda laid back, and only a pain in the ***** when we have to be in the water and something on the ROV is broke. That is the only time there is a "rush" on something since they are always preaching safety over how long it takes to do something. Most of the guys out on the rigs make practical jokes and what not so you kinda have to be "tough skinned" but most of them will only do that when they know you. On Thunderhorse there is Wifi in the living quarters but its slow, so watching youtube will frustrate you. Keeping on the forums isn't to bad. The food, well some days its awesome, others you eat a PB&J.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, your BOSIET or "Huet" water survival is pretty fun. They strap you in a makeshift cockpit and roll you underwater. all the swimming in a group stuff kinda sucks tho.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenS-10
I work on the BP Thunderhorse rig. Like what was stated the Rig life drags on. I work 21-21s and seems like its always the second week. Although you do get your pay check and ask yourself "damn, I get paid this much." My job (ROVs) is kinda laid back, and only a pain in the ***** when we have to be in the water and something on the ROV is broke. That is the only time there is a "rush" on something since they are always preaching safety over how long it takes to do something. Most of the guys out on the rigs make practical jokes and what not so you kinda have to be "tough skinned" but most of them will only do that when they know you. On Thunderhorse there is Wifi in the living quarters but its slow, so watching youtube will frustrate you. Keeping on the forums isn't to bad. The food, well some days its awesome, others you eat a PB&J.
21-21's?

Ill be heading out there sunday, Jon S. was wanting me to go to the DD2 but I persuaded him I should just go to TH since I was originally suppose to be there any way.

Im guessing Im your relief..I think Ill call in sick.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Well good ole rig life. I work on land as a mud engineer. Guess where I will be for Thanksgiving? Right here. These are the things that you have to give up in this career. My birthday......right here. New Years......right here. Im am slated to be off Christmas though. Your kids b-day, graduation, there first steps, etc, etc you might never see. Just part of what you gotta give up. Its hard sometimes but I could never provide for my family as well doing something else and they appreciate that. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
21-21's?

Ill be heading out there sunday, Jon S. was wanting me to go to the DD2 but I persuaded him I should just go to TH since I was originally suppose to be there any way.

Im guessing Im your relief..I think Ill call in sick.
21= 3 weeks (3weeks on, 3 weeks off), good thing is here on the TH you can only work 28 days at time before you have to be sent in. Monday will be my 28th day, but that means only 14 days off... see you when you get here.