Teaching the value of money

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teaching the value of money

The other day my 10 year old son wanted a toy from Target, and he looked at the price and it was $39.99. I said nope that's too much money,but in my mind I knew that we could add this toy to his X-mas list. Well he got real mad and said "$40.00 that's nothing" I got so mad inside of me and kept on walking to pay what we went there to get in the first place.

Today after church we are heading to Krogers and we are going to buy $40.00 worth of ham,cheese,bread,snacks and box juices. I'm gonna make him and my daughter 12yrs old make brown bag lunches, then my wife and I gonna take them to the homeless shelter in Fort Worth of hwy 30 & 287 and have them hand out some lunches.

May they can learn the value of money and I can get some satisfaction of them actually doing some giving instead of asking for stuff.

Have a nice day.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.
We take my daughter to serve the homeless at the Star of Hope a few times a year. She comes home very humbled. She doesn't realize how much she has.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

I was just talking to my wife the other day about getting our boys and doing something similar. My youngest one (7) is exactly the same way, and he ALWAYS wants the toys that are usually $30+. My 11 year old knows better because I make sure he sees first hand how many thousands we spend on baseball, football, training, etc for him. I remember mowing lawns at 9, and working at an ice house under the table from 12-16, and thats how I bought my bikes, dirt bikes, first car, etc........kids nowadays just don't know. Good for you guys for showing them how to make an impact in the world.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

I need to do something like this aswell. Very good idea.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I need to do that to my wife... Bahahahaha
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Launching!

We just got back and my kids were scared to death,but my wife and I took the lead and they follow and we invited the neighbors kid and they had a blast. We handed out 40 brown bags of ham and cheese sandwich,chips,caprisun juice and one dollar in each bag. The people were so kind to us, we want to do it again soon and double the amount of bags. There's so many people that are homeless and without food in Fort Worth is very sad.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BIGDRAGON
We just got back and my kids were scared to death,but my wife and I took the lead and they follow and we invited the neighbors kid and they had a blast. We handed out 40 brown bags of ham and cheese sandwich,chips,caprisun juice and one dollar in each bag. The people were so kind to us, we want to do it again soon and double the amount of bags. There's so many people that are homeless and without food in Fort Worth is very sad.
This is a very, very nice thing that you are doing. And your doing a great job teaching your kids about helping others out and appreciating what you have.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Thank you Mr. Hustle, I spend so much money on beer,Tequila and Modding my car is a joy to spend a little and help someone in need.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigdragon
we just got back and my kids were scared to death,but my wife and i took the lead and they follow and we invited the neighbors kid and they had a blast. We handed out 40 brown bags of ham and cheese sandwich,chips,caprisun juice and one dollar in each bag. The people were so kind to us, we want to do it again soon and double the amount of bags. There's so many people that are homeless and without food in fort worth is very sad.
BALLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! We would only buy caprisuns when i got good grades in school. I hardly ever drank caprisun.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Launching!

LOL we don't allow sodas,so Caprisun is in at our house.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Nicely done... Kids have NO idea what it takes to take care of them. It really pisses me off when they think something is no big deal. I got my son a PS2 2 years ago when he was 6. Well, hes 8 now so I decided to give him an upgrade. We bought him a 32" LCD flatscreen and a PS3 for Christmas but a couple of days ago I went into his room to program his old tv cause the remote quit working. I found several of his games under his entertainment center all scratched up. He acted like it was no big deal cause they were old games but it really pissed me off... Im seriously thinking about putting his new TV in my garage...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Kids now days they are not the same as when I was growing up,but I'm doing something about it damn it.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zlow28
BALLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! We would only buy caprisuns when i got good grades in school. I hardly ever drank caprisun.
They were a treat in my house as well. The only downside was that you would drink them so quick. Tiny little pouches.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you Mr. Hustle, I spend so much money on beer,Tequila and Modding my car is a joy to spend a little and help someone in need.
Your welcome. I also spend a bunch going out to eat, drinking, and gambling. But I like to give back as well, and especially take care of those that are hungry.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Kids now days they are not the same as when I was growing up,but I'm doing something about it damn it.
thats good that youre doing something about it. Everytime i see those videos of kids getting pissed cus theyre parents didnt get the right color mercedes on their 16th birthdays, makes me wanna slap those kids and punch the parents for allowing it.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

Good thing ur doing... Kids just dont get the value of a dollar nowdays. I know the feeling. I have a 14 and 10 year old. We were running low on cash about a month ago (we r having a new house built) and my 14 year old daughter was asking for $80 jeans and I told her hell no we are low on money. She said why are "yall so poor" lol like she is not part of this clan.. I said we are building you a new 250K house drama queen.. She shut the f up after that. Next time you go feed the homeless guys throw a bottle of airline liquor in each bag...
Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

10 year old makes about 20$ a month from me in house chores. The rest I told her if she makes A-B honor roll id pay 5$ for every A and 3$ for Every B ONLY if she makes the A-B honor roll this year. Guess how many times shes made it? Zero this year.