Car is down, need a gameplan

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is down, need a gameplan

Alright, here's the situation. I have my '99 Trans Am up on jackstands. Bone stock car, but I am bolting on a few mods, and am gonna address some of the other issues I have with the car. Here is what I have to bolt on to the car thus far:

1.) Kooks header / Y pipe setup with Corsa catback
2.) WS6 lower airbox and MTI lid
3.) Turn One P/S pulley........I ordered this today, and can't say how cool Jeff was and how knowledgeable he was.......

Problems that I will address:

1.) Pinion seal leak
2.) Rear main oil leak
3.) Replace rear cover gasket.....might as well since I'm in there
4.) Oil pan gasket - not exactly sure if its leaking but.....
5.) P/S rack replacement-leaking, probably let Turn One do a rebuild
6.) Clean undercarriage up well and paint rear end and rear suspension parts

While I have this pig down, I was wondering if I was missing anything I could address while its torn apart. I know there are mods I could do, but I'm not sure how much $$$ I will have to play with. Anyone have any ideas on BS improvements I can make or address while I'm this far into it?

Last edited by LCTA; 01-02-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complete bushing replacement? Fairly cheap and probably needs it if you haven't touched them since the factory put them on.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Motor mounts while you have the headers off?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to mention the motor mounts......I also already have a set of poly mounts ready to go in with all of this......good call.

I was gonna leave the rear suspension alone because if all goes well, I may add some aftermarket pieces back there. I assume your were thinking front suspension pieces? I haven't even researched it, but I will assume on our cars that poly front suspension bushings will probably add considerable rattle and harshness to the ride? I'm gonna want this TA to handle nicely, but I'm not into rattling my teeth out anymore.

I also wanted to ask about a tubular k member. I know there is ample clearance gained for headers or for turbo apps, but what about oil pan clearance. Is it any easier to service say a pan gasket or rack with a tubular k?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Poly always will be stiffer, but if you prefer rubber, go with rubber. Either way, the old stuff is probably good and worn out.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Complete bushing replacement? Fairly cheap and probably needs it if you haven't touched them since the factory put them on.
I might go ahead and do that as well.....good idea.

I have also decided to add the Tick remote bleeder to the list. Another one of those "while I'm in there" kinda things.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

clutch kit?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onspeed
clutch kit?
I was actually gonna hold off on that, but I just PM'd a guy with an LS7 setup for sale........again, good call and thanks for making me rethink that.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LCTA
Forgot to mention the motor mounts......I also already have a set of poly mounts ready to go in with all of this......good call.

I was gonna leave the rear suspension alone because if all goes well, I may add some aftermarket pieces back there. I assume your were thinking front suspension pieces? I haven't even researched it, but I will assume on our cars that poly front suspension bushings will probably add considerable rattle and harshness to the ride? I'm gonna want this TA to handle nicely, but I'm not into rattling my teeth out anymore.

I also wanted to ask about a tubular k member. I know there is ample clearance gained for headers or for turbo apps, but what about oil pan clearance. Is it any easier to service say a pan gasket or rack with a tubular k?
If you plan on going turbo in the future go ahead and order a tubular K-member for turbo applications. Better to do it right the first time around.

Also maybe a fuel filter? Forgot if the cars have them or not.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I just got the rear end out this evening, and that fuel filter was staring me right in the face while I was doing it. Put it on the list, thanks.

Regarding the tubular k member, are there any other benefits besides the clearance for turbo's and headers? What about clearance for the removal of the oil pan? I will assume that even the tubular k will have to be lowered or removed for oil pan removal?