rig work

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good info here guys I appreciate it.. Been looking at jobs for the past two days.. Any company's that are easier to get into than others? My driving record isn't the best (speeding tickets) but im drug free and motivated
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Two lessons for working in the oil field

#1 Blame the mud

A Mud engineer gets on location, and the company mans dog starts humping his leg. The Mud engineer kicks the dog off and the company man says, "why the hell did you kick that dog for?" The Mud engineer says, "Because he was humping my leg!" The company man says, "well no ****, all he ever hears all day is **** that mud engineer."

#2 Roughnecks

A roughneck walks in to a hardware store, asks the clerk for a wrench. The old man behind the counter says, "What kind of wrench do you need? We have all types." The roughneck replies, "It doesn't matter, I am going to use it as a hammer."
Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Two lessons for working in the oil field

#2 Roughnecks

A roughneck walks in to a hardware store, asks the clerk for a wrench. The old man behind the counter says, "What kind of wrench do you need? We have all types." The roughneck replies, "It doesn't matter, I am going to use it as a hammer."
Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Give a roughneck 2 ball bearings and he'll lose one, and break the other.

A lot depends on if you want to work offshore (better money) or on land, also.
Offshore, I know Hercules, Diamond, Ensco, and TransOcean are doing a bunch of work. Hell, Hercules 120 just got done drilling for us.

If you're a welder and want to work offshore, GIS or Dynamic are your best bets.

Drilling- Any of the above mentioned companies

Safety- Industrial Safety Solutions (ISS) or Safety Management Syatems (SMS)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
A lot depends on if you want to work offshore (better money) or on land, also.
Seems like land is blowing and going, we keep loosing hands to North Dakota and PA. Rig hands and service hands.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell i just work at Halliburton. Cement supervisors get hired as consultants all the time.. 300k a year anyone?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
Hell i just work at Halliburton. Cement supervisors get hired as consultants all the time.. 300k a year anyone?
I work for halliburton too but not on rigs! I hardface the fix cutter steelheads for them. Wtf is cement supervisors?! I would like $300k a year lol
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Buddy of mine just picked up Company Rep for Chevron.... was a cement hand for Halliburton.

Another guy out here for Tetra quit Halliburton after 11 years due to their BS in the upper echelon of management..... That was coiled tubing though.

CTS has blown up since Schlumberger bought them out.

BizZzatch350, who are you with / work for?

Agree with land blowing up right now. Shell pretty much has PA on lock down.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn there are some guys making serious cash in the oil industry. Talked to a guy about a year ago who is the President of a Viper forum, when he put up threads of his brand new TT Lambos and brand new TT Ferrari and TT Ford GT among many other nice vehicles, parked in front of a nice house. He told me he never went to college, went straight into the oil fields out of high school. Worked hard and moved his way up, now he has something like 14 patents for increasing production and efficiency.

Any idea what that is all about? I know he does get sent overseas for work for weeks at a time, no idea how much he pulls in a year but I'd imagine it's a LOT, like 1,000,000+. I figured you'd need a degree to get in that kind of position, how does when get to THOSE jobs in the oil industry? What kind of pay do Petroleum Engineers make?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackdahlia1988
I work for halliburton too but not on rigs! I hardface the fix cutter steelheads for them. Wtf is cement supervisors?! I would like $300k a year lol
You work for halliburton and dont know what our cement department is about??????? The whole company was founded on it!!!!!!! Haha.

Get on our intranet and check it out i guess!!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
You work for halliburton and dont know what our cement department is about??????? The whole company was founded on it!!!!!!! Haha.

Get on our intranet and check it out i guess!!
Well yeah I know what it is but what do they really do while there I guess lol
Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Damn there are some guys making serious cash in the oil industry. Talked to a guy about a year ago who is the President of a Viper forum, when he put up threads of his brand new TT Lambos and brand new TT Ferrari and TT Ford GT among many other nice vehicles, parked in front of a nice house. He told me he never went to college, went straight into the oil fields out of high school. Worked hard and moved his way up, now he has something like 14 patents for increasing production and efficiency.

Any idea what that is all about? I know he does get sent overseas for work for weeks at a time, no idea how much he pulls in a year but I'd imagine it's a LOT, like 1,000,000+. I figured you'd need a degree to get in that kind of position, how does when get to THOSE jobs in the oil industry? What kind of pay do Petroleum Engineers make?
Sounds like you're talking about Ray Hofman, President/CEO of Peak Completion Technologies. He built the company from the ground up.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JS01
Sounds like you're talking about Ray Hofman, President/CEO of Peak Completion Technologies. He built the company from the ground up.
lol I didn't want to say any names or anything like that, but I guess he's pretty much known as one of the biggest ballers on the internet haha. Yeah that was who I was talking about.

Just looked at the companies website, my god. That company is pretty damn huge, it has many locations around the US and one or two in Canada!

I wish I was more oilfield-term savvy so I could understand exactly what that company does. I just don't see how a guy could start a company like that with no degree, but I'm going to go back and change my original guess and say he makes well over 1 million a year.

Damn I would do terrible, horrible, unspeakable things to make that kind of money.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know about doing it now. But about 15 years ago, a lot of people did it.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM

The thing about consulting firms are, your paying your own taxes, zero benefits and a lot of them the first couple years they're getting a steep cut out of you. But the potential to make bank is there, thats why I like working off shore for a major mud company, I have a base and great benefits, but if I want to make bank, then it's up to me to get out there and hustle for it.

Dr wigham I work for MI.

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
I don't know about doing it now. But about 15 years ago, a lot of people did it.
Right, most the major service companies and their subsequent subsidiaries have bought a lot of the smaller independents. Now, the entry costs to compete would be just insane because your competing against huge service companies. Though still a few hold out, Franks Casing is a good example of that. A NOV hand was telling me NOV stands for No other Vendors, kinda true when you think about most of them.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

As soon as you said mud engineer, that was the first company that came to mind.... or Baker.

I actually live about 2 miles from Franks in Lafayette, LA. Agree about them holding out. I'm VERY surprised they haven't sold yet.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Agree with land blowing up right now. Shell pretty much has PA on lock down.
X10...I agree with that statement, the motiva refinery is huge and they're continuing to add units.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM

www.sanjel.com
Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SnIpEz

http://m.oaoa.com/news/article_dfaac222-d1b0-11e4-99af-b3d32b1281c5.html?mode=jqm
Old 03-28-2015, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr whigham, you pretty high up in the ranks for chevron? Have any connections out in west tx? I have a couple vac trucks and am looking to get on chevrons vendors list.

Sorry to derail the convo. Lol

Quick Reply: rig work