Poly motor mounts..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Poly motor mounts..

Anyone in the Keller/ Ft worth area have an f-body with poly motor mounts so that I can see how they feel installed. I'm about to swap to a tubular k member and was wondering if I should replace those with my busted stock ones. And the car is a Daily Driver too.. If anyone can help reply to thread or send me a pm. Thanks in advanced.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a BMR k-member, poly motor mounts and poly trans mount. my car is just bolt-ons on the motor, so the engine itself still has the factory 'harmonics'. absolutely you need to do the poly motor mounts if you are doing the k-member. it would be silly to NOT do so since you already have it all apart.

i never even noticed a difference in NVH. the NHV and ride quality was night and day difference when i upgraded my shocks/springs, but not the mounts.

some people even are using the new solid mounts that are compatible with the tubular k-members (i think UMI makes them and one other company) and saying they dont notice a significant increase in NVH, but im thinking it would be a little much for a DD.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I have poly motor mounts and a factory trans mount.

I had MORE vibration with my worn mounts than I do with the poly mounts.

The worst cabin noise/vibration issues you will have will come from changing the trans mount to poly.

I rode in a Honda with poly mounts it was terrible, vibrated like crazy, our cars however it does not seem to affect.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have poly motor and trans mount. I dont have a problem with them and I daily drive it. There is a little vibration but its nothing you cant live with.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got poly motor mounts and the stock trans mount. My car was just a bolt on back then, but it felt more tight. Definately a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

I ran poly with stocks trans mount and I liked them til this...

So now I have solids, and I don't dd it but I don't even notice them except for the valve train noise.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default What the ****!

How the hell did you melt the poly motor mounts?

Well I had polys and I hated it. I could not stand the damn things. Well I went back to new OEM rubber jobs.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

i had poly engine and trans mounts in my old t/a and loved them... it didn't make any more noise or vibration than it did with the stockers... it was a bolt-on car so you might notice a little more if you're cammed but i don't think it will be bad... my car was also an m6 and on the trans mount i didn't use the metal plate they provide and i ground down the 2 humps until they were almost flat... i heard this is what eliminates the vibration with the trans mounts and supposedly a4 cars are more prone to noise/vibration than m6 cars but i can't attest to that... i have also read that running stock engine mounts with a poly trans mount can cause the trans case to crack but i have never personally seen this myself either, just something i have read on here before
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

I really don't know how or why it melted. I could have just got a bad one, but the solid mounts will for sure not melt.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neutron82
i had poly engine and trans mounts in my old t/a and loved them... it didn't make any more noise or vibration than it did with the stockers... it was a bolt-on car so you might notice a little more if you're cammed but i don't think it will be bad... my car was also an m6 and on the trans mount i didn't use the metal plate they provide and i ground down the 2 humps until they were almost flat... i heard this is what eliminates the vibration with the trans mounts and supposedly a4 cars are more prone to noise/vibration than m6 cars but i can't attest to that... i have also read that running stock engine mounts with a poly trans mount can cause the trans case to crack but i have never personally seen this myself either, just something i have read on here before
Sounds right, the polys on the A4 was a pain as well.

Quick Reply: Poly motor mounts..