Ford 3V Spark Plug Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 3V Spark Plug Tool

Does anyone near Cypress have one of the spark plug removal tools I could borrow ?? A neighbor of mine has a broken spark plug in his 5.4L 3V motor (common issue) and is having a hard time locating the tool locally.

Thanks,
Ernie
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayosequis
Does anyone near Cypress have one of the spark plug removal tools I could borrow ?? A neighbor of mine has a broken spark plug in his 5.4L 3V motor (common issue) and is having a hard time locating the tool locally.

Thanks,
Ernie
Sorry no tool here, but my father in-law has that same motor in his King Ranch F150 and after doing some research (when he asked me to help him change the plugs) I told him to take it to a mechanic and have them do it. Horrible design and very common to break off multiple plugs when changing. The mechanic broke 4 off and still only charged him $150 to change the plugs when it took maybe 8 hours in labor - LOL.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

I have the tool but i'm not real close to you unfortunately. I ordered the tool but got lucky and never had to use it. Mine all came out in one piece after 90,000 miles.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

He ordered the tool online, so no worries. It is a bad design and I think you got really lucky there LS1power.

Thanks for the replies.

-Ernie
Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He ordered the tool online, so no worries. It is a bad design and I think you got really lucky there LS1power.

Thanks for the replies.

-Ernie
Curious of how this design looks. Any pics?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies.

-Ernie
I did a great deal of research, research and more research before I dug in. Too many horror stories! But i agree....no matter how much preparation and planning I did......it all came down to a little bit of luck. I was nervous the entire freaking time. But I had a mini celebration after that last one came out in one piece!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
I did a great deal of research, research and more research before I dug in. Too many horror stories! But i agree....no matter how much preparation and planning I did......it all came down to a little bit of luck. I was nervous the entire freaking time. But I had a mini celebration after that last one came out in one piece!
What did you find in the prep and planning deparment?

I have gone back and forth on doing this myself, and would like to know what you did.

The dealer wants 385$ for just a plug change whether plugs break or not!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I squirt PB blaster down there and let it soak for a while, then spray some carb clean or brake clean down there and blow it out with some compressed air and remove them. Havent had one break yet. Maybe I am lucky or Maybe I am good muhaha.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
What did you find in the prep and planning deparment?

I have gone back and forth on doing this myself, and would like to know what you did.

The dealer wants 385$ for just a plug change whether plugs break or not!
I let the truck get up to operating temp. Then shut it off, pull the coil packs, and then crack each plug maybe a 1/4 turn. Try to work somewhat quick. Use some sort of penetrating oil ( I used PB blaster, but if you search everyone has a different "fail safe, must use product"). Spray/drop a little of that into each spark plug "hole". Let it sit for several hours. Come back out and put another little dose of penetrating oil in each hole and start backing them out. What breaks the plug is the build-up of hydrocarbons on the side "shanks" that wont fit through the hole while you try backing it out. So with it being warm and the double dose of penetrating oil you at least soften those hydrocarbons. I was able to clearly see the problem when i removed them.

From what I read before hand is as long as they are making noise while coming out you are doing good. If you get one that all of a sudden goes quiet.....start looking for the extrication tool. Luckily all of mine made some sort of noise.

Make sure you buy the nickel anti-seize ( i believe that is what type). And apply it to the new plugs on the "shank" also to prevent it from happening again. Sadly I sold my truck within 5,000 miles of doing the plug swap. So whoever bought my truck had the hard part done for them.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I squirt PB blaster down there and let it soak for a while, then spray some carb clean or brake clean down there and blow it out with some compressed air and remove them. Havent had one break yet. Maybe I am lucky or Maybe I am good muhaha.
great minds think alike!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
Curious of how this design looks. Any pics?
pic of tool and examples of broken plugs here.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS65600.../dp/B00267PZUK
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Launching!

I let the truck get up to operating temp. Then shut it off, pull the coil packs, and then crack each plug maybe a 1/4 turn. Try to work somewhat quick. Use some sort of penetrating oil ( I used PB blaster, but if you search everyone has a different "fail safe, must use product"). Spray/drop a little of that into each spark plug "hole". Let it sit for several hours. Come back out and put another little dose of penetrating oil in each hole and start backing them out. What breaks the plug is the build-up of hydrocarbons on the side "shanks" that wont fit through the hole while you try backing it out. So with it being warm and the double dose of penetrating oil you at least soften those hydrocarbons. I was able to clearly see the problem when i removed them.

From what I read before hand is as long as they are making noise while coming out you are doing good. If you get one that all of a sudden goes quiet.....start looking for the extrication tool. Luckily all of mine made some sort of noise.

Make sure you buy the nickel anti-seize ( i believe that is what type). And apply it to the new plugs on the "shank" also to prevent it from happening again. Sadly I sold my truck within 5,000 miles of doing the plug swap. So whoever bought my truck had the hard part done for them.
Awesome, thanks for the input
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Heat and penetrating oil.

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_5.4...k_plug_removal
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly the reason why I kept pushing forward doing the plugs on my wife's 04 Expedition when she still had it. Didn't want to take any chances.

Sold it at just over 130K miles with the original plugs still on.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

we rented the tool from car quest/ napa in mont belvieu, good luck, its not that bad once you do it one time lol
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

great minds think alike!
It workds

Quick Reply: Ford 3V Spark Plug Tool