GRE - New or Old format

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRE - New or Old format

For those of you who have taken the GRE, either the new or old version, how exactly did you guys study for the verbal section?

It seems kinda like "either you know it or you dont" when it comes to filling in the blanks or sentence completion (new version). The explanation in the study guide (Kaplan) for the ones I got wrong pretty much said "well your interpretation is correct, but our interpretation is more correct.” No technical basis whatsoever. As an engineer, your suppose to justify everything, so its kinda frustrating.

The paragraph portion I'm ok with. Just didnt know if there was some way to prepare for those parts of the exam other than studying the definitions of the 1% least used words in the Englinsh language, which I probably wouldnt memorize or even remember them all by test time anyway (havent scheduled it yet).

Any input is appreciated, especially from other engineers.

Hiram
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just took it not too long ago and I was an engineering undergrad. i did not study one bit...all I did was glance over the math portion since most of the math stuff seemed to be basic algebra/geometry which is different from calculus and physics that youve been using in engineering.

the grammar/verbal stuff was very frustrating as more than one answer could be correct and i didn't know much of the grammar at all but still did ok. the writing section you will do fine as they can be pretty much outlined like a technical document that you would write in engineering.

just glance over the stuff on the gre website if anything. its kind of like you said, you know it or you don't
Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered taking the LSAT ?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaysan
Have you considered taking the LSAT ?
I have, however that would be a plan B based on how competitive law school is around here. Besides, most business schools are now accepting GRE, so I could apply for multiple programs by taking only one test which is my plan at the moment. Getting 2 graduate degrees at once opens more doors than getting 1.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiram007
I have, however that would be a plan B based on how competitive law school is around here. Besides, most business schools are now accepting GRE, so I could apply for multiple programs by taking only one test which is my plan at the moment. Getting 2 graduate degrees at once opens more doors than getting 1.
PM me if you decide to do the LSAT . I have a lot of information and can help you get in to law school . I will say this it is VERY competitive .