Graduating in May

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Graduating in May

I'm graduating from UH with a B.S. Math and Physics Minor. I've been working in economic development as a project engineer/coordinator for the past 3+ years. I'm going to stay in my current position as I look for something else. I'm not really in a rush, but I'm wondering if any of you guys know/have any pertinent positions open.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz! I'm graduating with my BA in CJ this semester as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Congratz! I'm graduating with my BA in CJ this semester as well.
Thanks. I'm glad to be finished. I've been in school too long.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Congrats man, I'm thinking about transferring to UH in the fall. I'm looking at the Mech Engineering Tech major (petroleum track). What are your thoughts on the campus overall and the engineering department? I'm hoping this will put me on a fairly safe path to oil/gas business.

Erik
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats man! I am also graduating this may, with a B.S in Mechanical Engineering Technology at UNT.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSErik
Congrats man, I'm thinking about transferring to UH in the fall. I'm looking at the Mech Engineering Tech major (petroleum track). What are your thoughts on the campus overall and the engineering department? I'm hoping this will put me on a fairly safe path to oil/gas business.

Erik
Well, I would recommend the Mechanical Engineering program itself over the Tech major. As far as I know, they have a solid engineering college. However, the ME Tech program is under the College of Technology, not engineering. UH also has a new Petroleum Engineering degree program, too.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Well, I would recommend the Mechanical Engineering program itself over the Tech major. As far as I know, they have a solid engineering college. However, the ME Tech program is under the College of Technology, not engineering. UH also has a new Petroleum Engineering degree program, too.
Everybody says this, but me and quite a few of my graduating friends from a tech major are landing ME positions with no problem.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Everybody says this, but me and quite a few of my graduating friends from a tech major are landing ME positions with no problem.
Really? Wow. That's great then. Once you get that experience under your belt, that's all that matters.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but its mainly the guys that do internships and show a Passion and talent for both hands on and theoretical engineering.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working on my bas in CJ. I'll finish next year
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

congrats man
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats Man! what car do u drive up to school?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I drive a black '98 Trans Am. I usually park near the soccer field.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Congrats. And wth is ME tech??
And its not just about experience anymore sadly.. a lot of big companies require you to have the engineering degree to make the bigger money. (Just what I've seen)

Still can't argue with the saying "it's not what ya know, it's who you know"!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I'll be graduating in may from UH also with a b.s. in supply chain management. Anyone park in the parking garage on here?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I dnt park in the garage but i park in the parking lot by the east garage near the rec and wellness center,
i drive a pewter TA
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

my girl lives in the lofts...she parks in the garage...i park in the law center...theres a black c6 zo6 that parks there too
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS198Z28
I'll be graduating in may from UH also with a b.s. in supply chain management. Anyone park in the parking garage on here?
That's a good degree to have. You probably have a job lined up already.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Aggie_Ls1
Congrats. And wth is ME tech??
And its not just about experience anymore sadly.. a lot of big companies require you to have the engineering degree to make the bigger money. (Just what I've seen)

Still can't argue with the saying "it's not what ya know, it's who you know"!
Other than the bigger paycheck, ME is more theoretical while ME Tech is more practical, that's the biggest academic difference (why vs how). As far as the big companies, I agree they are more concerned with your degree and GPA (along with internships) but if you can bust your *** and get in, your set.

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
The reason everyone says it is because of perception, engineering vs technology, big difference. Senior MET's are taking courses that sophomore ME's are taking and to a lesser extent (at least at U of H). Also, if your gonna put in that much effort to do technology, might as well do engineering.

I have an ME degree from U of H and an MET degree from A&M, I got much better and way more offers with the ME degree, which was surprising considering the schools (GPA from A&M was higher too).

Originally Posted by LSErik

Erik
In your case, your better off doing engineering, either mechanical or the new petroleum program they just got. Not sure if petroleum is accredited by ABET yet, might wanna check before you enroll.

The campus is diverse, they just got Tier 1 status, and there is alot of renovation going on right now, including a new football stadium (they havent started yet) but it's not in the best area so I would be a little careful walking around at night. Engineering department is good except probably for Industrial Engineering. Most people I know from other majors including my own who weren't successful transferred to IE, and I quote, "because it was much easier".

A shortage of engineers means opportunties galore and job security .
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hiram007
Other than the bigger paycheck, ME is more theoretical while ME Tech is more practical, that's the biggest academic difference (why vs how). As far as the big companies, I agree they are more concerned with your degree and GPA (along with internships) but if you can bust your *** and get in, your set.

The reason everyone says it is because of perception, engineering vs technology, big difference. Senior MET's are taking courses that sophomore ME's are taking and to a lesser extent (at least at U of H). Also, if your gonna put in that much effort to do technology, might as well do engineering.
Exactly, at U of H, not at all schools. I went with ME tech simply because sitting in a class doing nothing but theory, every day I had class, made me want to blow my head off. After 2 years of being in the non accredited ME program at my school, I switched to ME tech, which is accredited, and a lot more interesting to me. I would rather take less money and have a job I enjoy, than sit at a desk all day every day hating my job.