2001 5.3 Silverado Alternator not charging??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 5.3 Silverado Alternator not charging??

Have a 2001 Silverado with a 5.3L. Driving home today truck lost all power, battery light came on... stranded me.

Long story short managed to change the alternator and battery on the side of the road and managed to get home.. However the Voltmeter inside the car was reading very low.

took the truck to oreilly auto and they checked the battery.. said it was no good. changed that, checked again,, they said alternater not charging properly was the problem. changed that again..

So im now on my second battery in 4 hours and second alternator in 4 hours. Truck is apparently running only off the battery.

Thinking there is little chance I got 2 bad alternators,

What am I missing ??? is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown thats causing the charge to not get to the battery?

help!!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Put a real volt meter on the car and check it. I know my silverado dash would do all kinds of crazy stuff. The likely hood of you getting 2 bad alternators is slim to none. If you were only running off the battery it would be dead very quickly!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

the wire between the battery and alternator is a fusible link, might wanna run a 4ga wire to replace it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.3 Silverado Alternator not charging??