Ac idler pulley torx t50??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac idler pulley torx t50??

Just replaced the tensioner pulley for squealing now the damn Ac idler pulley is squealing its *** off. Im having trouble getting the t50 bolt out...any tips tricks to remove this?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you asking the bolt size or how to remove the bolt?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Tips to get it out.. Looks like its in there pretty good, not trying to strip it. I dont understand why GM would put a freakn torx bolt there...pretty stupid
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
any tips tricks to remove this?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

spray some pb penetrate on there and let it soak for a while. and if you have a mini torch like propane use that. remember righty tighty, lefty loosey! GL
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Aite ima take a mini torch to it c if thay helps...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Hell I had to take a impact to mine to break her loose
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bloo4.6
Hell I had to take a impact to mine to break her loose
Damn no crap...did u try heat 1st? Im assuming u had to remove a few things to allow the impact to fit lol
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

not sure how much room you have but you could try using a breaker bar with a cheater bar on the end of it and apply slow pressure
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did you get it out?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by neutron82
not sure how much room you have but you could try using a breaker bar with a cheater bar on the end of it and apply slow pressure
Iv'e tried that to sum extent...its tricky trying to get the torx bit not to strip.
Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
did you get it out?
Im actually heading to Sears now to pick up a mini torch lol. Im off tomorrow so ima give it a shot.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok put the torx on a ratchet and get it set to where when you can get an open ended wrench on it. I used like a 17mm, just use something long enough to get some torque on it. This should give you enough leverage to break it loose.

Also do not buy a new pulley, go get some bearing grease and pop the seal off and pack the bearing. It took me about 20 minutes to remove all of the pulleys and repack them.

FYI this did not totally eliminate the squeaking. IT did help a bit and gave me peace of mind. BUT what you definitely want to do is buy the Goodyear Gatorback belts. That should have been the first thing i did. It totally eliminated my chirping.

Also if you search a guy did a write up repacking the bearings. Search for chirping.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
Iv'e tried that to sum extent...its tricky trying to get the torx bit not to strip.
that's why you have to take it slow... a t50 is a good size bit, i would think a name brand ( snap-on, matco, mac) torx socket would be able to get it out just fine... they also sell impact grade torx sockets but the name brand ones are pricey
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Ok put the torx on a ratchet and get it set to where when you can get an open ended wrench on it. I used like a 17mm, just use something long enough to get some torque on it. This should give you enough leverage to break it loose.

Also do not buy a new pulley, go get some bearing grease and pop the seal off and pack the bearing. It took me about 20 minutes to remove all of the pulleys and repack them.

FYI this did not totally eliminate the squeaking. IT did help a bit and gave me peace of mind. BUT what you definitely want to do is buy the Goodyear Gatorback belts. That should have been the first thing i did. It totally eliminated my chirping.

Also if you search a guy did a write up repacking the bearings. Search for chirping.
Awesome gonna give the belt thing a try see if that helps. Although the bearing does feel a lil loose compared to the new ones. If I manage to break it off and everything looks good I'll c how it turns out with the new grease.

Originally Posted by neutron82
that's why you have to take it slow... a t50 is a good size bit, i would think a name brand ( snap-on, matco, mac) torx socket would be able to get it out just fine... they also sell impact grade torx sockets but the name brand ones are pricey
I think the bits an AutoZone brand not sure but I'll definitely take ur advice and try a bigger name bit

Quick Reply: Ac idler pulley torx t50??