Conceal Carry Weapon

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conceal Carry Weapon

Hey guys, I will be taking the CHL class this summer and have already begun my gun search

I absolutely do not want to start a caliber debate, first of all. I was not really looking for a .380, but when I held the Sig Saeur p238 it felt awesome! I have medium size hands I would say, and I can get my entire hand (including pinky) around that thing and it feels goood. The slide is also super smooth, and the best part is that it will be MUCH easier to conceal than any of the other guns I have looked at. Yes, I could get a pocket 9mm in a similar size, but I would have to go down in magazine capacity (the p238 hold 6+1 & I believe there are magazines out there to hold 7+1). I have not shot the gun yet, but I have watched reviews on youtube and they all tend to agree with the salesman at academy who said it was very accurate.

Does anyone out there own this gun personally, or have a suggestion for a similar ccw? I will also be buying a .40 eventually but want to buy the gun that I will be able to carry most often first.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
ppp
Launching!

I think there is a caliber cut off (don't know for sure). You may wanna check and make sure that if you qualify with a smaller caliber, you can carry a larger caliber concealed.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Springfield Armory XDS
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ppp
I think there is a caliber cut off (don't know for sure). You may wanna check and make sure that if you qualify with a smaller caliber, you can carry a larger caliber concealed.
True that! I can always qualify with my dad or brother's .40. Good point though/Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
Springfield Armory XDS
That gun is freakin sweet! I think it may be pretty violent to have such a light .40 though. I know that all the reviews say that it is "surprisingly maneagable" but I am a lot less experienced than them. Also, it would be more expensive to shoot. So that may be another gun I buy in the future, but not now. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

I recently did the same search. If your aim is decent, I would recommend the Springfield XDS. It's a single stack (6+1) but it's a very compact and lightweight .45 The recoil is also very managable.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Well hell that's 2 for the XDS. And it is what I was originally looking at. I'll have to see if I can find size specs on it and compare them to the p238 since I haven't held the XDS. I tend to wear clothes that are tapered so conceal options are limited unless I buy new clothes too. lol. My dad has the Springfield XD in a .40 and I really like it. It's double stack though
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-Top
Well hell that's 2 for the XDS. And it is what I was originally looking at. I'll have to see if I can find size specs on it and compare them to the p238 since I haven't held the XDS. I tend to wear clothes that are tapered so conceal options are limited unless I buy new clothes too. lol. My dad has the Springfield XD in a .40 and I really like it. It's double stack though
It's VERY concealable. I also have a Glock 22 .40, and I'd say the xds has less kick than that.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact .40 cal. XD's are very nice, but I like guns w/hammers.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slash8915
It's VERY concealable. I also have a Glock 22 .40, and I'd say the xds has less kick than that.
You have one!? They aren't in any of the stores around here yet. I wish I could get my hands on an xds to shoot. Or even just to hold.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

You have one!? They aren't in any of the stores around here yet. I wish I could get my hands on an xds to shoot. Or even just to hold.
I wish. They still haven't released it to the general public.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Yea that's what I thought. Anyone know the release date? Also, has anyone shot one personally? Maybe a springfield rep or something..
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

I've SHOT one. It was very nice. I don't think they have an official release date yet. They are on backorder.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Walther PPS is another good gun. Its single stack and comes in 9mm or .40
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slash8915
I've SHOT one. It was very nice. I don't think they have an official release date yet. They are on backorder.
^ Lucky dog. lol, I just really want to shoot one before I buy it.. I guess I could borrow a .40 from my brother untlin the xds comes out then I could try it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Walther PPS is another good gun. Its single stack and comes in 9mm or .40
Yea I've heard good things bout that one too
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

That gun is freakin sweet! I think it may be pretty violent to have such a light .40 though. I know that all the reviews say that it is "surprisingly maneagable" but I am a lot less experienced than them. Also, it would be more expensive to shoot. So that may be another gun I buy in the future, but not now. Thanks for the reply
No problem. I want one myself but last I heard they were on back order.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ppp
There's no caliber cut-off. It has to with your qualifying gun being a revolver or a semi-auto. If you qualify with a revolver, then that's all you can carry. But, if you qualify with a semi-auto, then you can carry both.

There's nothing wrong with carrying a P238 or a Mustang Pocketlite (that's what I carry 99% of the time). Both shoot great and group surprisingly well out to 15yds.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=99SS'Vert;16314202]There's no caliber cut-off. It has to with your qualifying gun being a revolver or a semi-auto. If you qualify with a revolver, then that's all you can carry. But, if you qualify with a semi-auto, then you can carry both.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf

GC §411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT. (a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant's ability to safely and proficiently use the applicable category of handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively operate a handgun of .32 caliber or above. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor.

I like the Glock 19 3rd Gen.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Glock 27... the end

Quick Reply: Conceal Carry Weapon