00 Grand Prix GTP - Potentially Buying - Thoughts?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00 Grand Prix GTP - Potentially Buying - Thoughts?

I found a nice silver GTP that looks to be in pretty good shape, not perfect but good. Its fully loaded so its got the HUD, s/c 6 cyl, heated leather, a/c works great, has 125k miles and has been bone stock its whole life. Its being sold by a mechanic who got it from the original owner who needed a SUV due to procreating a little too much for the pontiac to handle.

As far as known issues right now, the rear spoiler is a bit faded but the body looks immaculate. It has an oil pan gasket leak, cracked windshield, and needs a tie rod. I have not driven it yet but will on Mon or Tues and pending the test drive I was debating offering around 3k cash or give him $3500 if there are no major issues and if he'll fix the gasket and tie rod.

What do y'all think and are there any things to look out for on these cars? What mpg do they typically get? How are the tranny's? I have been browsing GTP forums and am surprised some claim with bolt-ons they run high 12's but this car would remain bone stock and be something that hopefully gets 20+ mixed and close to 30 hwy while being comfy and lasting to 200k on the original drivetrain.

I would be picking it up for road trips and daily driver duty, while selling my wifes F150
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

careful on needing just a "tie rod" wheel bearings are common weak points and cost $140 each if i remember right, and ONLY get the OEM ones as the aftermarkets just go bad again after a week.

I enjoyed mine for the most part I had a 97 with 15xk miles that was bone stock with fresh GOOD paint for $2400, did some minor mods too it, id still have it if someone didn't offer to trade me my current c4 for it.

Trannys suck if you start doing major mods, break easy and are expensive to build..

If you do basic mods like 1 pully down, headers and a tune and don't go launching it you will be fine... never ran mine at the track but they are quick cars.. wouldn't put to much money into it though.

uhhh i think i got 18 mixed and was pretty hard on it.... and I think 24-26 on the way back from dallas in it.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had a 2000 but non S/C. It was a pretty good car but every window including the sunroof went out in the same summer. Right before the ac went out!! Oil leaks and antifreeze leaks are common around the intake. If its cheap enough I wouldn't hesitate owning one.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you fix the weak ends, they are great cars. Ive had a few pushing around 370whp, Next prob is the transmission once its been modded. Stock there awesome aswell. i like them for a family/ cruising car
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

As stated, trans are junk. But if you remain stock, get a trans cooler, it should be ok. The 4t65s are easy and cheap to find, but you'll be swapping the HD diff out each time as the 4t65hds are alot less common.

I had a riv with rockers, tune, headers, straight pipe, ported s/c, and a northstar TB will wake that car up big time. I put a 4t80 in the thing....diidnt work in the long run but that trans ran ***** out. Smoke thru 2nd gear
Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans' aren't bad if they are maintained and if you don't beat the crap out of it.

A good bit of advice would be to leave the pulley alone and just do flow mods.

All in all they're very good cars for the price.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

I owned one for about a year & I HATED THE FWD! It was a fun car & was quick & loved the S/C when it kicked in. But was to bouncy for me & just dont care for FWD cars

Here is a pic of mine. Eibach Springs. Rode like $hit! Never gonna drop one again if I get another one.

Attached Thumbnails 00 Grand Prix GTP - Potentially Buying - Thoughts?-gtp.jpg   00 Grand Prix GTP - Potentially Buying - Thoughts?-39691_149429045068612_2214396_n.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They make good daily drivers. The trans is an issue. But if the car was well maintained it should not be an issue. A fluid and filter is a good thing to do as well as a shift kit.

Common issues with these cars are the lower intake manifold leaking due to the plastic gaskets leaking. The newer aluminum replacement gaskets are the fix. There is a recall for the valve cover gaskets to avoid fires. The oil pan gasket is also an issue. The front sway bar breaking is also common especially for those that live in snowy climates. Other than that the 3800 is a pretty stout engine when properly maintained. Mine is not supercharged but I use it as a daily driver. I get about 16-17 mpg's in the city. On long trips I have averaged about 30 mpg's.

Parts for these cars are pretty cheap.

The reason that car rode terrible is because eibach springs are one of the worst lowering springs especially if using stock springs or stock spring replacements.

Try going to gpona, grandprixforums and clubgp to do some more research.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

I picked up a 99 GTP with 140k for 3500. It was bone stock and in amazing condition with the file full of proven maintenance records. I would be still dd'ing it today if I didn't total it .
Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 97.5 Regal GS that I daily drive. It's got 50k miles. I have owned it about 3 years now (bought it from the original old lady owner with 17k miles on it). The only repairs I have done to it are water pump and rear passenger window motor. Both were easy jobs.
I have a homemade fenderwell intake, plugs, wires, reprogrammed PCM, blower pulley, 3" downpipe and high flow cat. It's pretty peppy and the transmission has held up so far. Those mods were installed at 20k miles.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one and enjoyed it! It has a few little leaks and such that got old and I was too lazy to fix. Mine has an intake, pulley, U-bend delete and tune and ran real nice and got good mileage too when I kept my foot out of the pedal!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Had a friend with one and another with whatever the Buick equivilant is. Both friends complained of oil leaks. One guy went through a few wheel bearings. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

lim gaskets will need to be changed and assume the valve cover gasktes too .

best mods to do , a diy intake, 3' catted or catless dp and some new plugs , dont buy aftermarket wires ever or coils , stock is the best . do a pan drop and filter change .
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
lim gaskets will need to be changed and assume the valve cover gasktes too .

best mods to do , a diy intake, 3' catted or catless dp and some new plugs , dont buy aftermarket wires ever or coils , stock is the best . do a pan drop and filter change .
I bought a new set of stock (ACDelco) ones. Haha.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 AM

I know this post is old and probably not followed anymore. But, I think the wheels on this Grand Prix look great and wondered who the manufacturer is if anyone knows. I can't tell. Thanks for any leads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 Grand Prix GTP - Potentially Buying - Thoughts?