Ate $*** with my passenger rear wheel

Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ate $*** with my passenger rear wheel

I took a hard swerve from a dig and hit a curb pretty bad with my passenger rear wheel enough to take a big chunk out of the rim. I was able to drive away from the scene, but I did hear some light intermittent squeals coming from that brake. Got home safely, but left the car in the garage. Fast forward to a week later when my Staggered C5 DD's came in from OE. Went to Discount Tire, slapped on some BFG's and balanced and mounted them. As I was driving home, someone at a stoplight complemented the ride, but said he saw some mad wobbling coming from the rear passenger wheel.

I took it to a friend's house, put the rears on jacks and noticed a significant wobble coming from that rear wheel. Not to mention, with load, that I noticed that the driver's side seemed flush with the rear fender while the rear passenger's wheel seemed a little tucked in, but I heard from many others that this is a very common defect with rear wheel drive cars. Supposedly an adjustable panhandle bar will mediate the offset. I drove it home from there, very cautiously, and noticed that the intermittent brake squeal got significantly louder, but didn't feel any vibrations until driving more than 60mph.

Questions-
-Are my bearings, axles, or both F**ked?
-Will I need a whole new rear axle if it is the axle that is damaged?
-What would this set me back, pricewise, parts/labor and all?
-Should I get an alignment before fixing this problem?
-Any recommended reputible, insured shops in the Houston area?

Thanks in advance LS1Tech!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axel is bent. Driving on it will further damage the rear. If the rear is moved over you could have bent your panhard bar. I drove on a bent axel and it destroyed the center section.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Teching In

Ouch. Did you have to replace the whole rear end or just the axle itself? How much did that set you back? Given my luck, I might have fried the center section too.

I've had a member tell me that I should upgrade the whole rear to a 12 bolt and gears to 3.75's but that application isn't optimal for me since never take mine to the track, and seldom race on the streets.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will know when the center goes out. Car won't move! You need to pull the wheel and check the axel. I guarantee it's bent and that's most likely all that's wrong.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for the time being, find a good used axle and a bearing/seal from the parts store...plus rear fluid, gasket, and borrow a puller. With a jack and stands, you can swap everything out in ~2hrs
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your low on cash go with what Vin said, otherwise now is the time to use that money toward a aftermarket rear, dont have to use 3.73, could go with 3:42
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so ur the turd burgler that tried to roast from a dead stop on the street and lost control before 2nd gear?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Launching!

You hit a curb so hard that you broke off a piece of your rim and you thought putting on brand new rims and tires was a good idea????

Like everyone else said, busted axle. Save your tires and stop driving ASAP. As far as how much your in for, well, depends on what you wanna do. The stock rear, and every component, for lack of a better word, sucks. I actually am waiting for my rear to give so I can just buy a 9in and call it good, wont ever have to worry about it again. There are some cheaper options if you need to buy time or just wanna get by. If you hit the curb hard enough to bust your axle, I'd be a little worried about what else is waiting to break in there.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks to everyone, I got a bigger idea with what i'm working with.

Yeah, it wasn't a good idea to put wheels and tires on and then run around, but at the time, I didn't know what I was working with and felt that I could use an alignment to make come closer to a diagnosis. Coming home from discount tire, someone pointed out the wobble that made me think otherwise.

I currently don't have plans to really beef up the ride, just want to keep it as original as possible even to the shitty monsoon radio that's in there. So I'll just stick with a stock rebuild with this axle and eventually refinish the wheels I "scuffed" up and slap them back on. If I wanted a track car, I'd probably end up picking up another F-body and turning that into a project.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I have a good rear passenger axle, I swaped both sides last weekend with new axles bearings and seals... I can give you the good axle if you want...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ate $*** with my passenger rear wheel