Oil and gas scum, has work been busy and is production still holding strong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil and gas scum, has work been busy and is production still holding strong?

I'm thinking about hopping on a drilling team but I've heard conflicting reports from people saying that work is either dead or busy. I talked to a friend of mine and he's moving to a new drilling company with good pay and awesome per diem. He said that he would hook me up if I wanted a job. I've been out of fields for almost two years when production was booming and I don't want to go back if its slow. However, if its still busy, I'm going to put school on pause and go back to work and save some bank. I'm getting depressed reading about the recent college grad unemployment and underemployment statistics...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
ppp
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll be busy in Dewitt and karnes countys for the next 10 - 15 yrs...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Watch the gas markets and oil markets and reserves. That is a good indicator. It also depends on where you live. West Texas is BOOMING, the haynesville in Louisiana and the barnett are kinda petering out and have been for a while. I hear the north east is dying down bu supposed to rebound next year. California is going strong and so is north dakota. I'm not sure about Colorado and Wyoming. I am hearing good things about Ohio but nothing concrete. South Texas is supposed to be wide open as well. Most of this is hear/say from buddies working in those areas, the only thing I know for sure is that west Texas is wide open cuz I'm working there. Maybe a member for another area will chime in. I know we have some oil field trash on ls1tech. Yes I myself am oil field trash, it's a good thing.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

i work off shore and we are super busy..i work for oceaneering a third party subsea equiptment company and we are freaking busy. i have hardly even been home this year
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Derrickman hit it right on the money as far as where its busy and where its not. With regard to unemployed undergrads, depends on your major, if your looking at doin field work in the oil and gas industry, theni assume your majoring in engineering or technology. If so, then you definitely wont have to worry about a job especially if you already have experience.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ppp
It'll be busy in Dewitt and karnes countys for the next 10 - 15 yrs...
Our company has actually slowed drilling in Karnes County since the price of gas has dropped. We are focusing more in McMullen and further out west right now getting the liquids. I assume once the price of gas rises then they will want to open back up in the East.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

20yrs is what my company is predicting in south Texas but could possibly be longer. I work for the biggest player in the eagleford and they have a pretty good track record with their predictions. It is true drilling has slowed down some due to the dip in prices but oil companies are still making money hand over fist considering it costs them about $32 a barrel to get it out of the ground and its selling for almost tripple that at the current price. If you have an opportunity to work in the eagleford for a company who is invested in both oil and gas, there is alot of money to be made there for a long time. West Texas is booming as well, you just have to be willing to live in an area which is practically desert. They are really hurting for people mainly cause of their geographic location.

Last edited by zstripper2k; 07-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zstripper2k
20yrs is what my company is predicting in south Texas but could possibly be longer. I work for the biggest player in the eagleford and they have a pretty good track record with their predictions. It is true drilling has slowed down some due to the dip in prices but oil companies are still making money hand over fist considering it costs them about $32 a barrel to get it out of the ground and its selling for almost tripple that at the current price. If you have an opportunity to work in the eagleford for a company who is invested in both oil and gas, there is alot of money to be made there for a long time. West Texas is booming as well, you just have to be willing to live in an area which is practically desert. They are really hurting for people mainly cause of their geographic location.
Who do you work for and what do you do?

I am with Talisman Energy and am a chief inspector building storage and treatment facilities.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Launching!

There's tons of work in the Eagle Ford; I've heard it's supposed to be fairly consistent for the next 10 years or so. I was out there over the past 1.5 yrs with a service company but just transferred offshore, which is also very busy. Now is a great time to get into the industry, get some experience, and make some money.

Edit: Geoscience grad here. If you have an applicable degree, you shouldn't have any problem at all finding work. Many of the 'underemployed' grads are liberal arts majors. I don't know too many engineers or science grads that are unemployed or working at Starbucks.

Last edited by Chadder; 07-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

According to Rick, they are slammed all the time.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
According to Rick, they are slammed all the time.
Rick Ross is always slammed.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Who do you work for and what do you do?

I am with Talisman Energy and am a chief inspector building storage and treatment facilities.
My step dad works for Talisman Energy, he is staying in the Kenedy area.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BSGTOLS2
i work off shore and we are super busy..i work for oceaneering a third party subsea equiptment company and we are freaking busy. i have hardly even been home this year
I see you work for oceaneering, what rig are you out on?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

I'm on a H&P rig in odessa area its booming
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

i am on the noble bully 1 drill ship for the rest of the month but i work all over the gulf
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

How do you like offshore? I have been thinking of trying it out but kinda like going to town when I want.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

its pretty good...they keep you well entertained, but it is the money that will make you not worry about going into town...if you get on a good rotaion its awesome...as for me i go out when needed and that is alot lately...but i cant complain because the gto funds are only getting bigger...there are a ton of companies to work for just got to decide what you wanna do
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BSGTOLS2
Very true for most of the third party in the gulf. Ive worked 26 out of the 30 days in the pay period. Moneys great but I need some home time.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

I need a rotation. I'm getting 28 days a month at least! Im still good for another month and then it'll be time for some days off. I'm a contract Directional Driller so I work when I want and take off when I want. I'm building up my bank account just incase this next year is like 09. It seems like the year after an election year is hit or miss.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S Texas is busy right now and will be for a long time. The Eagleford Shale will be keeping things booming. My company is doing well because of our contracts, but most other E&P companies can't find enough drilling rigs or frac crews.