Transmission R&R on a 2003 Silverado. Anybody up for it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission R&R on a 2003 Silverado. Anybody up for it?

Looks like that after 171K miles the transmission on my Silverado gave out over the weekend. Shifts OK when cold, but after a few minutes loses all gears. Tranny fluid is pretty dark and doesn't smell too fresh. No noises from the tranny, though.

Anyway... Looks like either a rebuild is in order, but doing the R&R in my garage without a lift would probably be a PITA. Hence, anybody in the Denton/Lewisville/Flower Mound/Little Elm area have a space where that could be done? Or are there shops you would recommend for the job? Not the rebuild itself as I think I got that covered, just for the removal and installation.

A reasonable price would be nice, too. I would be happy to lend a hand and provide refreshments to keep the costs down.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Teching In

There is a shop on Dallas dr that u can rent a bay by the hour they have lifts and rent tools also I think its called My Bay. I also have a kwik lift in my garage u could borrow if u have a space to use it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unless you are getting a hook up deal on the rebuild, I would let the shop that rebuilds it do the R&R. If there is ever a problem with it you will be pulling it again to have them fix it.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marksLT
There is a shop on Dallas dr that u can rent a bay by the hour they have lifts and rent tools also I think its called My Bay.
Yup. Know the place. I think I've rented a U-Haul trailer from them at some point. And thanks for the offer on the kwik lift.

However, I think I have the situation taken care of now. Just need to get the truck to FW to get the tranny out, take the tranny to Dallas for rebuild, get the tranny back to FW for installation.

Could've lived without all this hassle at the moment, though...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Got a friend that works for a dealership that will rebuild it and warranty it, I can r&r for you. Let me know 682-553-5913
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Truck is already back on the road. Big thanks for the help to the guys at TDP!

Quick Reply: Transmission R&R on a 2003 Silverado. Anybody up for it?