Another dead beat non paying person James Brown AKA djjab57

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another dead beat non paying person James Brown AKA djjab57

James called me about a month ago and said he blew the head gasket on his LT1 Camaro. Even though I do not work on LT1's I knew James was having some health issues and this was his only ride to work. I made him a good deal on the labor to get him back on the road. I even picked the car up from his house because he did not have a way to get it to my shop.

I got right on his car, pulled the motor and found some damage to his heads. I took the heads to the machine shop and had them surfaced, bought all the gaskets, fluids, parts and put the motor back together all with in a few days.

I called James and told him his car was ready, at that time he tells me he did not have the money. It was Wednesday and he told me he would have 1/2 my money on Friday and the rest 2 weeks later. I told him I have been screwed several times by letting people have their cars/parts with balances owed. He promised and swore up and down he would get me my money, he said he needed the car to get to the doctors and work. My gut was telling me NO but my heart was telling me yes because I know he has Cancer and is having rough times. I went ahead and let him have his car with the understanding I would get my money in 2-3 weeks.

Friday comes along, I go to the track and he claims he came by to give me some of my money. I told him I would not be back till Sunday evening because I was going out of town when I leave the track and I would get with him when I get back. Sunday on my way home I send him a text saying I was on my way home. He replied saying he was at work and would bring it by when he gets off.

Needless to say I have not heard from the coward since then. I have called, left messages and sent text without any response. I even left him a message telling him to at least give me the money I spent out of pocket to get his car running and we can work out the Labor later. Still no Call back or reply...

Anyone else I would not have let the person have their car till it was paid in full. A lot of people know James and many of us called him a friend but this is a bitch move for him to pull. All I have to say is Karma is a bitch!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he mans up quick, that is more then a class move on your part to let him take the car without payment for work performed. GL
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks Chad, it really does.... BUT.... Eventhough you're out some good money and a lot of time in labor, sometimes you get repaid ten fold in good karma points...

I would continue to try to collect your money but....Take solice in knowing you willingly helped out someone who is deathly ill... You may take a beating on this one monetarily but, you did the right thing trying to help him and good karma will come your way.

As for the owner, it sucks that he is treating you this way and being shady but.....in all honesty, if I was deathly ill and desperate, and getting sicker by the day, I don't think paying off my debts would be at the top of my to do list.... as bad as that is to say.

I lost my best friend last year to CF, the last year he was alive, he was in and out of the hospital every couple weeks, and towards the end, he didnt give much of a **** about anything, just surviving day to day. Ultimately he didnt make it.... Its hard to say how you will react in that situation.

Wishing you some good karma bro! Next time I see you at the track, beer is on me...
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ajrothm
That sucks Chad, it really does.... BUT.... Eventhough you're out some good money and a lot of time in labor, sometimes you get repaid ten fold in good karma points...

I would continue to try to collect your money but....Take solice in knowing you willingly helped out someone who is deathly ill... You may take a beating on this one monetarily but, you did the right thing trying to help him and good karma will come your way.

As for the owner, it sucks that he is treating you this way and being shady but.....in all honesty, if I was deathly ill and desperate, and getting sicker by the day, I don't think paying off my debts would be at the top of my to do list.... as bad as that is to say.

I lost my best friend last year to CF, the last year he was alive, he was in and out of the hospital every couple weeks, and towards the end, he didnt give much of a **** about anything, just surviving day to day. Ultimately he didnt make it.... Its hard to say how you will react in that situation.

Wishing you some good karma bro! Next time I see you at the track, beer is on me...
I agree, anyone that knows me will tell you I go out of my way all the time to help people. I have not forgotten where I came from, I have worked my *** off to get to where I am today. I remember the days when money was tight and working in the dirt changing transmissions/engines.

I now health is #1 but at least show some respect and return a phone call/text. I even left a message telling him if the money is the issue give me a call and we can work it out.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I agree, anyone that knows me will tell you I go out of my way all the time to help people. I have not forgotten where I came from, I have worked my *** off to get to where I am today. I remember the days when money was tight and working in the dirt changing transmissions/engines.

I now health is #1 but at least show some respect and return a phone call/text. I even left a message telling him if the money is the issue give me a call and we can work it out.
I agree 100%....

He should atleast man up and call you, or have his partner/parents or someone contact you and explain the situation....

Odds are, you're at a loss on this one though...
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Talk to Tommie and Steve. Think they had problems with him as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone has problems. I lost my uncle to cancer last year and we were close. Even when he knew it was time to go he wouldn't have done this to anyone. It's not your job to save the world. That being said, at my shop I give prices up front and if you don't work out something with me before I do the work then you don't get a finished vehicle until I get paid. If you do give someone credit up front consider it a gift that way you won't do it near as often. If he was really hurting for money that bad I am sure there would have been something out there he could have traded to drive.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

For what it's worth Chad, every time I see you end up on the raw end of a deal I think more highly of you for going out of your way to help someone in need, etc. Guess I'm borderline .
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by codyvette
Everyone has problems. I lost my uncle to cancer last year and we were close. Even when he knew it was time to go he wouldn't have done this to anyone. It's not your job to save the world. That being said, at my shop I give prices up front and if you don't work out something with me before I do the work then you don't get a finished vehicle until I get paid. If you do give someone credit up front consider it a gift that way you won't do it near as often. If he was really hurting for money that bad I am sure there would have been something out there he could have traded to drive.
Its not saving the world, its called helping someone that was so called friend. I know he is in a bad place with his health and I may not get all my money when he promised but i figured he would pay something till it was paid off. Without his car he could not make it to work and his treatments...

He knew the price up front, I will not spend $10.00 on someones car without letting them now.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
For what it's worth Chad, every time I see you end up on the raw end of a deal I think more highly of you for going out of your way to help someone in need, etc. Guess I'm borderline .
Usually 99% of the people I deal with are awesome people. Its the ones that knows you are the ones that screws you.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with ajrothm on this one.
I have cancer. It's incurable and will eventually kill me, though treatment can slow it down some and so far things are going well.
I still pay my bills.
It's clear that the OP was and is willing to bend over backwards to work things out and let the guy make payments. He shouldn't have to bend over forwards (and grab his ankles...) for being a nice guy.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Death finds us all.... I too am a firm believer in Kharma... Not many honest people out there these days... Integrity means nothing to most. this guy using chad is a true testimony to his character. Dying or not does not give you a pass...

Although i do not know any of the parties involved i have read some prevous posts from chad... He has always seemed to be one of the "Good Guy's.... Stay that way my friend.. You are TRULY the bigger Man.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can definitely vouch for Chad on being a great person and going out of his way to help a guy out.
Chad made me a deal to work on my car that I couldn't refuse a couple years ago. Granted, I never had any intention of screwing him over, I can say it doesn't surprise me that nowadays others find it so easy to take advantage of generosity.
I don't know James, or anything about him or his current health situation. If he really is ill, I hope he gets to a place where he can pay back Chad in some way.

As stated before, Chad, don't stop being that "Good guy". We all greatly appreciate it!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Sucks to hear Chad, but when I work on a car, you don't get the car without paying me. No if ands or buts. I do this for a living and when I do it on the side its taking time away from my family, and me working on my own car. Sucks even worse that its someone you called a friend, but those are the ones that usually take advantage of you.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

tough situation , not cool on his part to not pay you , maybe this guy just doesnt care anymore as in he has already checked out , its a selfish state of mind
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had Chad work on my car in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to take it back to him. When he encountered issues with my clutch, he called me and we discussed the implications, both cost and time, agreed to the course of action, and we moved on down the road. Chad is by far one of the most standup guys I know when it comes to service on any car, and it saddens me that someone, ill or not, would treat Chad, or anyone else servicing their car like that.

Chad, hope this all works out for you in the end. It was nice what you did, especially around the holidays. Hopefully your kindness will be visited back on you with the start of the new year.

Justin
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I do hope he is not in a position of health preventing communication. He is usually a good guy, so even if he is down and ashamed of his position, hopefully he will see past that and get ahold of you.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

this isnt the guy that lives in crosby/huffman with the red lt1 ?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by boofthese
this isnt the guy that lives in crosby/huffman with the red lt1 ?
Yes thats him.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Hmm wow. Hes the guy who got me started on here. Seemed like a stand up guy. But people change i guess

Quick Reply: Another dead beat non paying person James Brown AKA djjab57