Ok I need some help!!! Father & son project

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok I need some help!!! Father & son project

Ok I need some help!!! Father & son project

Early 2010 my son asked me when we were at the track, if we could build my WS6 and make it a race car too lol… He wanted to build the car because we always went to the track and he wanted us to have one. So I talked to the wife and she said sure have fun. For the last 2 years I’ve been building my 2000 WS6 with my son. The only reason I started this build was for him.. Well time has come and I have a new project car and I want to sell the WS6 . I want to build up my 2002 Firehawk I just bought in Oct with the money from the WS6… All that’s needed to finish the build is the turbo and transmission. I’ve asked him many of times what he thinks about building the Firehawk and he doesn’t care at all about that car and would rather get rid of that car to build up the WS6.. It means nothing to him!! Lol “My daughter loves it “... My son will be 9 soon.. I know he’s young and everyone that goes to the track with me knows he loves that damn car lol

My thing is…. am I wrong for wanting to sell the car we built and do another?? I’ve owned the WS6 longer than he’s been alive and that’s the car he’s seen his whole life. "He calls that car his lol" I would like to keep all the BS out of this post as much as possible!

Sorry for the long post... I just wanted to get some opinions … Did any of your fathers do this and you wish they never did?

Edit to add photo. The car was was hot so he didn't want to touch it lol!!

Last edited by SSHAWK; 01-29-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Why not finish the father and son project? Has he gone on to other interests?
If you told him you were going to do something and now you want to change directions for your own pleasure, I disagree! If he doesn't car one way or the other, build what you want. Buy him a dirt bike and he won't care what you do.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by work in progress
Why not finish the father and son project? Has he gone on to other interests?
If you told him you were going to do something and now you want to change directions for your own pleasure, I disagree! If he doesn't car one way or the other, build what you want. Buy him a dirt bike and he won't care what you do.
No he hasn't changed his mind about the WS6... He wants to keep it!! I guess it’s me that’s wants to build the turbo Firehawk project.. The WS6 is finished I race in a 7.0 class with it.. As for anything changes his mind that won’t happen.. He doesn’t care about dirt bikes we have stuff like that already he has his 4 wheelers lol

Last edited by SSHAWK; 01-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

I guess since its finished its time for him to learn that projects move on so Dad can start another.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the WS6 and finish the other one later. Otherwise persuade him to like the new project.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Keep the ws6 and use it just for the track and if ur trying to save money take the ins off the ws6 but even that won't save u much....also save ur winnings from the track and put towards your firehawk And slowly build your firehawk...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would keep it. He's only 9 once, so let him enjoy it untill he moves on to something else.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats hard. He probably thinks it really is going to be his one day. Maybe keep it .. de mod it a little when he turns 16 but put something in place so he has to earn it. Then give it to him? It will be a really old car by then lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say its tough to say.

For one you can keep it and it will actually be his one day. He will enjoy it and eventually drive it to school etc etc.

Now the downside.....there is always what if as he gets older......

Me knowing you I would say keep it...... Its obvious little man loves it...... but teach him everything..... Let him wrench on it (Help where its needed of course)

I remember when my dad bought a lincoln mark Viii when i was about 8 and he would say its yours, once you can drive you can take it to school etc etc.

Well one day i got home and i seen a man driving away in it and man i literally broke down. I still tell this story on how sad i was when i saw it drive off. Keep it for the kid bud.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Keep it!!! You will regret selling it later. Take a break from it for a while and reassess.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
ppp
Launching!

I think we remember or have been told about a sweet car dad used to have and got rid of, and we think "why would he do that?!?!" Even though he thought the same way you do now, and may still think that way, you have a unique opportunity to not let that happen in your family. What story do you want your son to tell his children? ...how his dad passed on a cool ride? ...or how he wishes his dad would'nt have sold it to work on his new project? Just sayin...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say keep it if it makes the little guy happy and build up the hawk as you can. I have three kids and it's all about putting the kids above your wants.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Yup I agree keep it, I remember when my dad also said I was gonna own his old iroc-z one day. Still to this day I want to own a iroc like the one I had so many memories in
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Keep it. My dad bought a 70 nova the year I was born. I loved it as long as I can remember. I have two brothers and one sister and I was the only ever helping him work on it. Needless to say I just bought it from him three months ago and I'm just as much in love with the car now as I was when a was five and I'm 24 years old now.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep the Ws6!
my dad got me a ws6 for high school and i loved it!
im 20 now and im moded the car so much
if your son has seen this car since he was born i would keep it.
let him drive it to school hes going to have a blast with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son wants my 68. He hardly helped me at all on it. It is for sale, but if we sell the 71 and trailer first, I will keep it. Of course he wants something pretty much done so he can have all the fun driving it.

So I say, keep it and build the other one as funds and time allows.

Then you can buy my 2 car trailer to take both to the track when he is old enough to drive. Of course you will have to get a truck to haul it with.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

My dad has had a '66 corvette since I was born. He purchased it before I was even thought about. Through the years the car got older and so did I, so that corvette became our project that we worked on together. Everything I've ever learned from turning a wrench on a car has come from my father and that car. The car isnt just a car to me, that '66 represent both of us. I almost lost my father last year to a heart attach (has fully recovered quadruple-bypass) and every day I think about him, his heart, and our bonded relationship built around building that car. I will NEVER let that car leave my family and someday it will sit in my own garage.

I'm 26 now, that car means the world to me. Please do not sell "your sons car". Even when he's a pain in the *** teen who is chasing girls and not car, he will always remember that WS6 and what it means to both of you.

_note: one time our family came on hard times, my brother was in college and my father lost his job. Talk of selling the '66 vette came up and I about died. I through a fit and grabbed every dollar I had to my name and gave it to my dad. I even started working odd jobs around the neighborhood fixing houses, mowing and working on yards. EVERY penny I either gave or tried to give to my dad. (found out later my mom put the money in the bank under my name to start my personal savings account)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

I've had a couple friends say the same thing to me so.. When I get off work I will have a talk with him and see what he wants to do.. If he says no then I'm going to keep the car. I wish I had something like this when I was younger but never had the chance so... I will let me make the call..

I have added a couple pics to the first post of him with the car.. This was right after I got the car back from painting it from the ground up..
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

keep it.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

If anything sell the motor and trans and put the roller up and when he turns 15 make it a father and son project putting the car back together. This is a car that has been a part of his life, it will save him from having to search for it when he gets older...

When my boys turn 14/15 I'm going to make them build their 1st cars so that they appreciate it more.

Quick Reply: Ok I need some help!!! Father & son project