Anybody here graduate from SAM recently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody here graduate from SAM recently?

Hi, I've been looking at SAM and was wondering is the school still doing good with getting people placed in shops, teams, etc? I just haven't heard much talk about it in the past couple years.

I really like what I've read and what people have said about the school over the years and am planning on taking a tour sometime this Spring. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Quite a few guys in the Houston area that work for well-known performance shops graduated from SAM. The two owners of 510 Race Engineering, Matt and Randy both graduated from there not that long ago. If you plan on moving to Houston permanently, I couldn't think of a better performance based school.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Yea I'd want to stay in TX. HP capital of America lol. I'd want to be in a shop like 510, LMR, or Hennessey.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

I went to sam in '05-'06. You should give it alot of thought before attending. the pay really isnt that great but you really have to enjoy doing it. I ran a cylinder head department for a well known ford engine builder for three years...did some pretty cool **** and really enjoyed what i did but pay wasnt great at all. Economy got bad and i ended up leaving. i now am a cnc machinist making alot.more then what i had been previously making.

Theres quite a bit of people in the racing industry and you have to be VERY good at what you do to try and keep up. Whatever you decide..good luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like most things, you get in what you put out.

The school is still doing strong, and can open many door ways for you. I've known a handful that actually went to S.A.M., worked in the performance industry and gone back to engineering school using all their past experiences from work/S.A.M. and have done good things with themselves.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

From what I've been told, people go to SAM and get into the performance industry for the passion. Not the money. I remember Randy was talking about newbies asking him how to get into it, and he told them, "Oh, well do you want to make a lot of money? Then get into a different industry." Lol.

Most people from the outside would look at shops like 510, G-force, LMR, ect and think, "Damn. They work on $100k+ cars every day. They have to make good money." But the truth is, there is a LOT of cost involved. Just the labor alone gets expensive for some of these cars.

That's why you see a lot of these shops shut down. Not enough profit.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The biggest problem I can see with SAM is that the cost is similar to a "normal" university, but when you get out you are likely going to be making a lot less than if you had gotten a "normal" degree (Unless you got some worthless degree like philosophy or pretty much any other liberal arts degree). Education seems top notch, they do great work there no doubt, but sometimes I feel as if the performance market is a bit over saturated for anyone to really stand out anymore.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have thought about attending AFTER I graduate into the medical field to further my own knowledge.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Some people do go for the passion but money talks i dont care what you do..

Not all but some kids go there and screw off their parents money and hsrdley learn anything and complain they didnt get a good job.

First job i was placed at after the school was near san antonio and was a total shithole....was only there a couple months. I left and went to work for jim kuntz from 2007-2010. Created a few programs with the edelbrock pro port heads for the sbf stuff mainly and even the lsr head. Enjoyed it alot but money wasnt that great
Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
Some people do go for the passion but money talks i dont care what you do..

Not all but some kids go there and screw off their parents money and hsrdley learn anything and complain they didnt get a good job.

First job i was placed at after the school was near san antonio and was a total shithole....was only there a couple months. I left and went to work for jim kuntz from 2007-2010. Created a few programs with the edelbrock pro port heads for the sbf stuff mainly and even the lsr head. Enjoyed it alot but money wasnt that great
1) That Jim guy.... I would have changed my last name years ago, personally

2) What do you do now?

EDIT: Disregard second question, I was derpin before I was herpin
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

I still have a few t shirts from when i worked there...pretty funny when people ask you if that says what they really think it does
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Launching!

I was thinking about going there when I get out of the army but im not sure yet.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6-TA_Guy
Hi, I've been looking at SAM and was wondering is the school still doing good with getting people placed in shops, teams, etc? I just haven't heard much talk about it in the past couple years.

I really like what I've read and what people have said about the school over the years and am planning on taking a tour sometime this Spring. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

When you come over for your tour talk to our head class students and ask if they like it. The answer will be overwhelmingly yes.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

"You get what you put in it" This can't be said enough. The class time does give you quite a bit of knowledge and of course there is alot of lab time but you really need to be one of the guys that can be there all day everyday. If you can do that, no ifs ands or buts about it, you will land a really good gig. It may be across the country but there are alot of good jobs to be had.

I graduated in February of last year and had one friend go straight to a prostock team and another friend land a nice cnc job at a performance shop. I'm starting my first position in the industry this coming Monday for a sponsor on here. (The time frame from me graduating and taking a position was my own choice and not related to the school.) None of us used the school to find jobs but I did see many guys getting some pretty good spots.

I cant state it enough though. If you want a big job at a big name company you need to be there all the time. Practice on the machines all the time. Help the instructors all the time. Attend the events all the time. If thats not you or you dont have the time to be there that much then the odds of you landing that really big spot that everyone wants is extremely slim.

Quick Reply: Anybody here graduate from SAM recently?