Texas jobs/living

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Texas jobs/living

Hey guys, thinking about starting over, to keep this post short.

I got money saved, a house I can rent when I leave this dump, just wondering what the job market is like in Texas. Not really sure where, just thinking right now. Looking for a place that has plenty to do, and women around that aren't whales would be nice. I was thinking maybe Dallas since I been there before, seemed ok.

Currently I manage a warehouse, hazmat certified, a few years of shipping/receiving experience. I'm a veteran too if that helps land a job down there. I'm sure there's plenty of shipping and receiving jobs down there. Can I make about what I make now? And what's cost of living?

Currently I have a real decent 1500 sq ft house for around $800 a month and I make 18/hr. With OT and everything I do pretty damn well, would like to keep it that way.

Well, just got the gears turning in my head, so please inform me.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the googs Austin is on the up in terms of jobs and such. Big tech is booming down there.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Job market is great down here. Oil and gas is booming south of San Antonio as well as in West Texas (that said just about no one wants to live out there), Dallas has work everywhere, Austin is picking up, and Houston never slows down. The cost of living is reasonable but Dallas and Austin are a bit higher than the other major cities. I'm not sure what you're skills are, and what you are willing to accept as far as work hours go, but the oilfield flat out PAYS. That said, you will work hard for the money.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I don't know how physical those jobs are, but I'm not shy of working hours. I've been known to work 50-60 hours a week no problem as long as the pay is right. I'd just rather not break my back every day. I lift a lot of stuff and heavy stuff at work no problem, I'm just not built as a work horse.

So what's the pay usually like and I guess I can check how much real estate is going for too, but what's a typical 1 bedroom etc. in dallas or any major city?

What skills do oilfields usually require? I'm not trying to brag here, but I have no problem learning and picking up new skills if people are willing to take the time to teach me.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Antonio pretty good HEB warehouse pays pretty good.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Well I don't know how physical those jobs are, but I'm not shy of working hours. I've been known to work 50-60 hours a week no problem as long as the pay is right. I'd just rather not break my back every day. I lift a lot of stuff and heavy stuff at work no problem, I'm just not built as a work horse.

So what's the pay usually like and I guess I can check how much real estate is going for too, but what's a typical 1 bedroom etc. in dallas or any major city?

What skills do oilfields usually require? I'm not trying to brag here, but I have no problem learning and picking up new skills if people are willing to take the time to teach me.
Well, to start look at the websites of the major oilfield services companies and other industry publications to find job openings, which are all over the place.here's a listing of some: http://www.indeed.com/q-Oilfield-l-S...,-TX-jobs.html

1 bedroom places in Dallas will run you ~$750+ for decent place not in the hood. Other places in the state will likely be slightly cheaper, but not a whole lot.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

The prison system is a good job down here and they are in need big time for correctional officers. They have great benefits and you can retire in 20 years. Also if you stay on for 10 years you get free health insurance the rest of your life. And a lot of units have a 3000$ sign on bonus.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are plenty of jobs like you describe in Houston and Dallas. It would be a matter of finding a job that fits. I think any cities in Texas would work for you.

Oilfield is hard work. Not only is it the hours, but that they expect you to be on site or nearby. You may not get your weekend or your full time off when you off time comes. Things like that tend to wear people down and burn them out pretty quick. It is booming now, but if things slow down, you may have to move to something else or another part of the country to find work. Just something to think about.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Oil & Gas is doing good now I have lots of friends that do it and love it but they are also rarely home. Overall jobs are pretty easy to come by as long as you take the time to get out and go find them.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil/gas is not a good field to go into if you want a family ever. There are lots of jobs here, but getting an interview can be a bitch sometimes.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Hey guys, thinking about starting over, to keep this post short.

I got money saved, a house I can rent when I leave this dump, just wondering what the job market is like in Texas. Not really sure where, just thinking right now. Looking for a place that has plenty to do, and women around that aren't whales would be nice. I was thinking maybe Dallas since I been there before, seemed ok.

Currently I manage a warehouse, hazmat certified, a few years of shipping/receiving experience. I'm a veteran too if that helps land a job down there. I'm sure there's plenty of shipping and receiving jobs down there. Can I make about what I make now? And what's cost of living?

Currently I have a real decent 1500 sq ft house for around $800 a month and I make 18/hr. With OT and everything I do pretty damn well, would like to keep it that way.

Well, just got the gears turning in my head, so please inform me.
You best be looking elsewhere then my man
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
You best be looking elsewhere then my man
Plenty of girls in Dallas in great shape.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazzarus
I just moved down here from there a few months ago, I will respectfully disagree to a point. Anywhere you go there are going to be good looking girls in great shape. It's all about the ratio of good:not-good, and nowhere in Texas that I've seen yet is doing too great with that.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Im in the oil field. Getting paid insane amounts for little work.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lazzarus

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I just moved down here from there a few months ago, I will respectfully disagree to a point. Anywhere you go there are going to be good looking girls in great shape. It's all about the ratio of good:not-good, and nowhere in Texas that I've seen yet is doing too great with that.
I can't imagine it can get much worse than it is here. Maybe 1/100 girls are in shape here and decent to look at. And once they hit 25, you may as well just forget about it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Google Texas city plant jobs or refinery jobs.

Plenty of places will hire veterans.

Quick Reply: Texas jobs/living