Damn tire kickers :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damn tire kickers :-(

Selling my sti and I thought I had a prospective buyer from Colorado. Being im in Houston I agreed with the guy to have his friend look at and drive the car for him to ensure everything was like I described. The friend and his dad arrive and look the car over (all is good), here's where it goes down hill lol.
We start the test drive (the dad) who is 50ish, he struggles a little with the clutch and admits its been a while since he driven a manual. All goes fairly well at first then he asks if he can get on it. I give the ok and he comes to a stop (safe location) and attempts to launch it. He manages to smoke the Hell out of the clutch and eventually take off. I suggest the son (thinking he's a better manual driver) take it out and he does no better than his father (yes smoking the clutch again). We get it back to meeting spot and they look over the engine (a/c is running) and the father informs me there is an a/c issue bc its clicking. I advise him yeah this is normal (compressor). He disagrees and then told me that it didnt take off fast and might have a clutch or transmission issue and it should be checked out by mechanic.
Keep in mind my sti has less than 6900 miles and is never driven hard. The prospective buyer obviously decided against it and totally wasted my time. I can keep up and in some cases beat a C6 (ls2) to third gear before they pull away so the not launching fast was complete garbage, anyway thought id share my exp here (more less venting).
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a bummer dude. sorry to hear that.

you launch it for them to show them that there arent any clutch trans issues?

would you say that the father and/or son are car dudes like us?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jdoyle

Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking. You hop in and give the old guy kneck problems
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jdoyle

No, and thats where I went wrong. I really wanted them to get the feel on their own. Its very obvious to anyone somewhat car savvy that its practically brand new.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking. You hop in and give the old guy kneck problems
hold on to your lugnuts!

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
No, and thats where I went wrong. I really wanted them to get the feel on their own. Its very obvious to anyone somewhat car savvy that its practically brand new.
obviously, you know what to do next time. i kind of think they were trying to get you to come down on price since they were playing proxy for someone else and were expected to give your ride a good once over even though they are not car dudes. also, the father's thought of "i know it has been a while since i have driven a manual. however, if i cant launch this car that i have never driven before, there must be something wrong with the car." is just laughable. id have to roll my eyes at him.

id also have no problem with having a neutral/third party mechanic check it out... at the buyers expense.

Last edited by jdoyle; 05-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had a bad experience serveral years ago when I was selling a 2g dsm. It was a kid and his dad and a friend that I had to deal with. Similar situation but more extreme lol.. everyones had those , we just have to learn from them so it doesn't happen again. It really does get to you though when **** like that happens.. knowing that the car is fairly new, it'll sell sometime soon. In the mean time, best of luck to you!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Lol, very true and yes I now know what to do in the future. Learn something new every day.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

next time dont release the keys or let anyine drive the car w/o cash in hand.
take for a spin around the block is all that is necessary with you driving.
i didnt let anyone drive the ws6 i had fs. when i was selling it.
if the person is serious, they will buy the car, even with you driving it on test drive
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

^^^This....
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy a car without driving it first.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Launching!

[/QUOTE]Keep in mind
my sti has less than 6900 miles and is never driven hard.buyer obviously decided against it and totally wasted my time. I can keep up and in some cases beat a C6 (ls2) to third gear before they pull away so the not launching fast was complete garbage, anyway thought id share my exp here (more less venting).[/QUOTE]

Lol at this above.

But Sucks to hear about your experience. I never let anyone drive the car with out a deposit unless I know them personally .
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd launch her for them, explain how you did it before handing over the keys. But yea they probably had some other cars on the list and were tire kickers for a day
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NemeSS
next time dont release the keys or let anyine drive the car w/o cash in hand.
take for a spin around the block is all that is necessary with you driving.
i didnt let anyone drive the ws6 i had fs. when i was selling it.
if the person is serious, they will buy the car, even with you driving it on test drive
I understand where you are coming because of the tire kickers but I personally would want to drive a vehicle to ensure the clutch is working properly/ auto is shifting without slipping on normal driving conditions.

OP sucks to hear about that but that just means your next buyer might be someone that is worthy of owning the car and knows how to drive/treat it. Good luck with the sale!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Mariojmoe I'm saying this in a friendly fashion so don't think I'm just another internet punk wanting to start a keyboard smack down.

But brother how many times do you have to learn NOT to let anyone else drive your hard earned performance cars? Reading your post I couldn't believe you let some stranger drive it much less rode with them. I remember your history and you seem to get the shaft when others drive your cars, a lot. And every time you say "lesson learned". Really? If the clutch is or was ruined who's going to pay for it being replaced so you can still sell the car? If he flipped it into a ravine and broke your neck but they walked away unscathed do you think you'd ever see them again? Hell, they'd probably still sue you. You know the answers.

Don't get me wrong I think you're a decent guy from your posts over the years. It's just hard to understand why you continue to let things like this happen to you. I know cars are just cars, believe me I don't worship them, but if I were you I would say enough is enough and nobody gets my keys anymore. Give them a demonstration from the passenger seats and if they want to drive it the vehicle changes hands first. At least limit test drives to normal non-performance type operation so that parts and lives are not at so much risk with people of unknown driving skills. As you know this goes especially for friends and relatives, many times you are doing them a disservice putting them in a machine that performs beyond their ability's. They want to drive it like you do and can't.

I'm starting to feel like I'm lecturing you, and that wasn't my intent so I'll shut up now.

Vernon
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
lesson learned.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have told them to go research how a AC compressor cycles and that a AWD car is not designed for a clutch dump from the factory. Then tell them to take a hike and learn something about cars before wasting others time.

Quick Reply: Damn tire kickers :-(