Magnets in your oil pan and trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnets in your oil pan and trans

I ordered my dad a N50 1"x1" neodymium magnet for when he goes shopping for his silver coins.

But it got me thinking, We have magnets in our oil pans and transmissions, granted they are prolly not the strongest out there by any means.

Could we take some of these rare earth magnets and place them in the trans pan say like 4 or 5 maybe one in each corner and one in the middle ? and collect MORE metal shavings that might not get caught previously ?

I SERIOUSLY doubt these magnets would budge an inch considering how tough they are.

Or would it affect the solenoids in the trans ?

What about in the oil pan even ?

I searched for rare earth magnets in use for vehicles but couldnt find to much. They are not that expensive and maybe could do a great deal of use ?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't have a ton of steel running around in your motor unless you hurt something. Most metal found in motors is from the valve train. Bearings and pistons are not steel etc... trans has a decent magnet in it but I guess you could add some, but not sure how it might help at all.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Ya this is more of just a "Does it have any benefits"" sorta thought.

More so just wondering if it had any benefits or anything. I get these ideas in my head all the time, but rarely post about them because there would be a TON of useless threads :/
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

maybe in case it spins a bearing it might help save some stuff, like when mine spun pieces of metal got into other bearings and eventually enough build up caused 2 rods to seize snap and destroy block
Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

exactly what he said they are much needed
Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

don't see how it could hurt anything by adding them if anything maybe just place them around the same area that the manufacturer put them in
Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a magnetic drain plug and it allowed me to find out that my timing chain was on the way out.

But I don't think there would be a great idea to put magnets in the oil pan that you couldn't get to. I mean it would keep any metal out of the motor but as mentioned you shouldn't have any unless there are problems and the magnets in the pan would keep you from knowing that.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my last street motor, we JB welded a good sized circular magnet in the middle of the pan. In my current motor, all I have is a magnetic drain plug. Its good to have, precautionary thing.

Quick Reply: Magnets in your oil pan and trans