U.S. investigates 400,000 Ford F-150 trucks for engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U.S. investigates 400,000 Ford F-150 trucks for engine problems

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ngine-problems

Washington -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Sunday it is opening a preliminary investigation into 400,000 2011-2013 F-150 trucks for acceleration problems

In a notice posted on its website, NHTSA said it has received 95 reports of incidents of reduced engine power during hard accelerations in 2011-2013 Ford F-150 trucks equipped with 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection engines. Some complaints allege unexpected sharp reductions in engine power during hard accelerations at highway speeds, such as attempted merging or passing maneuvers.

NHTSA said Ford has issued three technical service bulletins related to intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions in some 2011 and 2012 F-150 vehicles equipped with 3.5L GTDI engines. The most recent bulletin includes procedures for diagnosing a condition related to moisture accumulation in the Charge Air Cooler during extended highway cruising at constant throttle in humid or damp conditions; and repairing the condition by reprogramming the powertrain control module with the latest calibration and installing a new CAC and air deflector plate.

NHTSA said one-third of the reports received say the incidents occurred while driving in humid or rainy conditions. Many complaints allege safety concerns associated with overtaking vehicles. No crashes have been reported in connection with the issue.

Ford's most recent technical service bulletin was issued on March 18. It notified dealers that the F-150 has an adaptive transmission shift "which allows the vehicle's computer to learn the transmission's unique paramters and improve shift quality. When the adaptive strategry is reset, the computer will begin a relearning process. This re-learning process may result in firmer than normal upshifts and downshifts for several days."

A technical service bulletin advises dealers on how to fix a potential problem. A recall is required when an automaker determines a potential problem poses an "unreasonable risk to safety."

Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said the automaker is working with NHTSA. "We will be cooperating with NHTSA on this investigation, as we always do," she said.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 PM
LS7 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had this issue and they replaced the intercooler and his cats under warranty.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did they buy the accelerator sensors from Toyota?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svg210
Did they buy the accelerator sensors from Toyota?
Hahaha beat me to it
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been happy with the 5 liter in my F150, haven't had a single issue.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I've been happy with the 5 liter in my F150, haven't had a single issue.
5.0>ecoboost?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiago
5.0>ecoboost?
Nope, Eco boost will drag that 5.0's *** all over the place!! There is no comparison...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as the a/c keeps blowing through the vents and seats I dgaf.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Bout time. Mine has been in the shop twice. First time only a software update. Second time new CAC, coil pack, and spark plug. The stumble and misfire is back again and so I'm gonna see how this plays out.

With my tune the ecoboost will straight eat the 5.0s lunch. It's closer without a tune but the Eco will still pull a 5.0.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

The is a recall on the smaller ecoboost engines like in the focus and fusion for engine bay fires.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by work in progress
Nope, Eco boost will drag that 5.0's *** all over the place!! There is no comparison...
except when it is broken?lol
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I figured it wouldn't be long before Ford got back being number one in the P.O.S department. The mod motor was there biggest failure so far, but maybe not for long. Although I have had m *** drug by a couple of new 5.0s. THEY RUN, plain and simple.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Kind of an interesting problem. Ford service is the god damn worst. Not defending them for not fixing it.

The issue stems from the intercooling system being so efficient. You can run full boost for 10 seconds. In 100* heat and not see intake temps go over ambient. So cruise control set in very humid weather is causing condensation bad enough to foul up plugs and make the motor hesitate when you finally give it gas.

33k on mine. Haven't had this issue luckily. I don't think I will with my driving habits. Try explaining this to people on the f150 forums. Most of them just hope one of them there computer chips fix all. Lmao

Originally Posted by codyvette
I figured it wouldn't be long before Ford got back being number one in the P.O.S department. The mod motor was there biggest failure so far, but maybe not for long. Although I have had m *** drug by a couple of new 5.0s. THEY RUN, plain and simple.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Please explain to me how I am supposed to be driving my truck. I don't believe the tune I run will fix the issues and I rarely use cruise control. I would describe my driving as aggressive which should keep the condensation from pooling up and causing the truck lose power and fall on its face.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You have this exact problem not using the cruise control or maintaining throttle position in humid conditions? Pretty sure all of them with this specific issue had it under those conditions.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I agree it is a humidity problem but this happens to a lot more people than those using the cruise control or trying to squeeze high mpg's. Another interesting thing to consider is the guys who have gone to the company Full Race and purchased their upgraded inter cooler. I'm one of the guys who read the threads in the F150 forums thinking it would never happen to me then bam twice in one trip I had extreme misfires and limp mode kicked in. It ran good after getting it back from the dealer but it felt sluggish and my mpg dropped considerably. Now I'm back to a harsh idle at start and throwing codes for a lean condition.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

I really wanted an eco boost truck and then i read this.

I guess 5.0 it is!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by trajen1
I agree it is a humidity problem but this happens to a lot more people than those using the cruise control or trying to squeeze high mpg's. Another interesting thing to consider is the guys who have gone to the company Full Race and purchased their upgraded inter cooler. I'm one of the guys who read the threads in the F150 forums thinking it would never happen to me then bam twice in one trip I had extreme misfires and limp mode kicked in. It ran good after getting it back from the dealer but it felt sluggish and my mpg dropped considerably. Now I'm back to a harsh idle at start and throwing codes for a lean condition.
You mentioned it was on a road trip? Sounds like similar conditions to others. I would expect fouled plugs and possibly clogged cats after that. I hear what you are saying though. I've dealt with Ford service. It pretty much doesn't exist, and it is crazy they STILL haven't offered a fix for anyone on this.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Lol. A road trip to work. I'm sure I have other fouled plugs and a clogged cat. It will go back to the dealer soon enough. The first time it was in they had me in a rental car for two weeks because the new CAC was on backorder.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a fix for it. i read it on a ford forum this guy had this problem and ford basically told him it's because he truck was not made for towing cause he said he towed a small trailer for work. ill try and find the thread it's on a ford forum. after like 6 months of fighting with ford he finally got it fixed. if im not mistaken they replace the cac on them. ill find the thread.

EDIT: here is the link it's like a 100 page thread but you can watch some of his videos and then towards the end of the thread he states that once they replaced the cac he has no 0 issues for a few thousand miles i believe. hope this helps with anyone looking for a fix.

oh and this guy lives here somewhere in the houston area.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/ford-f-...issues-157704/

Quick Reply: U.S. investigates 400,000 Ford F-150 trucks for engine problems