Bent rod, Tuning the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did this car ever have racing (leaded) fuel in its tank?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s-10ls1
Get lme to build your motor and take it to Patrick g for the tune
This ^
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by codyvette
You dunnit now. Nice Knowin ya.
Hey Edub knows from experience. He had his car tuned and wasn't happy with the performance. I loaded a base tune in it and it picked up 2 tenths back to back one tune from the other the same night at the track. It also corrected some idle issues lol. Im not going to say Who the tune was done by you can look up his thread or see OP.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Hey Edub knows from experience. He had his car tuned and wasn't happy with the performance. I loaded a base tune in it and it picked up 2 tenths back to back one tune from the other the same night at the track. It also corrected some idle issues lol. Im not going to say Who the tune was done by you can look up his thread or see OP.
I understand completely. I was just poking fun.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s-10ls1
Get lme to build your motor and take it to Patrick g for the tune
I third that.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Car was tuned to run 93 pump gas safely from what I was told. I was told by the shop only shell gas for her.

I agree, how do they know its a bent rod-they don`t. Once they figured it wasn't a failure in the heads they said the rebuild was on me. When they thought the heads were the issue they were good fixing it.

codyvette- came by and pulled the tune. He will post to get comments when he can but he also said it could be just a piston gone bad and not a bent rod. Cody feels the rods are pretty dang strong and the weak leak is the pistons. Which I agree with!

As far as the comment on letting G-Force work on any of my cars! NOT!! After what they did to my 01 WS6 build and now my ZL1 I`m done with them! I went through TWO builds and a lot of money and got the bad end of the deal both times! I trusted them greatly!!

When I went to the shop and didn`t see anyone I remember from the old crew I was worried!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by beardWS6
Car was tuned to run 93 pump gas safely from what I was told. I was told by the shop only shell gas for her.

I agree, how do they know its a bent rod-they don`t. Once they figured it wasn't a failure in the heads they said the rebuild was on me. When they thought the heads were the issue they were good fixing it.

codyvette- came by and pulled the tune. He will post to get comments when he can but he also said it could be just a piston gone bad and not a bent rod. Cody feels the rods are pretty dang strong and the weak leak is the pistons. Which I agree with!

As far as the comment on letting G-Force work on any of my cars! NOT!! After what they did to my 01 WS6 build and now my ZL1 I`m done with them! I went through TWO builds and a lot of money and got the bad end of the deal both times! I trusted them greatly!!When I went to the shop and didn`t see anyone I remember from the old crew I was worried!
Seems that you should have learned the first time if you weren't happy. I'm sure we will hear G-Forces side of the story.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quick
Seems that you should have learned the first time if you weren't happy. I'm sure we will hear G-Forces side of the story.
As harsh as it might seem to me, you are so correct Quick!Please let them post. I would love to hear what Mike has to say! I learned the lesson the hard way saving money!

Last edited by beardWS6; 09-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Crappy way for a business to end good business. Specially with word or mouth, social sites now days. Hope it works out for ya bud!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Feel for ya OP.
But this is also the exact reason that I bought datamaster for LT1 cars years ago, and why I learned as much as I could as quickly as I could about LSx cars.
Good tuners are truly few and far between.

Would also love to see the tune if you can email it to me?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN! A whole bunch of professional tuners in here LOL! I agree with Quick on if I had the **** happen that you did with the old car, I probably wouldn't have gone back to that particular shop, there fault or not. One of those mojo things lol!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Did anyone notice that gforce replied to this thread and tgere reply got deleted? It said something like the car was built early 2013?.. wonder if they got cars mixed up? Also wonder if they have that many customers that aren't happy with their tuning abilities that they can't figure out which one is which?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
DAMN! A whole bunch of professional tuners in here LOL! I agree with Quick on if I had the **** happen that you did with the old car, I probably wouldn't have gone back to that particular shop, there fault or not. One of those mojo things lol!
Maybe u should recommend this guy a good tuner like you recommended me a 4l80 builder? Lol
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The pistons are pretty robust too. They shouldn't just fail like that with a good tune, but if it was detonating, then something may have given.

I think you said the cats were clogged at some point, correct? I've seen that alone take out two supercharged engines; one being a Caddy LSA.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by edub80
Maybe u should recommend this guy a good tuner like you recommended me a 4l80 builder? Lol
Yeah I usually recomend people that I have used, and that have done good work for me, not what someone else said. But hey I warned you that his place looked run down. But if you judge by apperance NP, then hope you found someone that made you happy. Plus if I recall you were looking for CHEAP! You didn't even USE him to know anything about him! So your opinion doesn't mean anything to me either! But hey anytime you want to compare cars. I'd like to see something YOU have actually built!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

I would have agreed with you completely but with all the tuning issues for weeks and the the car falling on its face, backfiring and bending the rod its in the tune bro. The car had been at the shop for almost a total of 3 weeks for not running right. Then forgetting to gut the cats and then tuning it like they did it just ran worst. I even lost power once the cats were gutted and retuned from what I was told. You would think with all the money I spent on the WS6 and things that I went through with them on it that I would have been treated better man! I`m not even asking for them to replace parts.Just cover labor! I trusted them and I`m just very upset they let me down. I have spent a lot of money with them!
Bro im in the same boat honestly take it to another shop you feel that deserves your money! **** happens and its hard to say who is at fault. So unless you do your own wrenching it'll be hard to prove they was at fault. Im sorry this happened to ya especially since its an expensive car but good luck and let us know the out come
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't consider my self a pro tuner but I know enough to get by and make things work. If Well known engine builders tell me that I have warranty on their engine but then again I've never had to take one back, I'm must be doing something right. I'm the type of guy that if I can help someone out, I'm more than welcome to help.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

I have a copy of mikes post which stated car was done 3-16-13 driven a year. tuning was fixed and car had a parts failure. Offered me a discount short block and discounted labor cost. Sorry to loose my business over a failed stock part.

1. Discount rebuild really, they quoted me 4200-4300 for short block-I called LME and got a quote myself around 4100 plus tax NO DISCOUNT
2. G-Force wanted 1800.00 for labor to pull the motor, when I ask if this was full price they said yes.
3. Also said I would need to pay 200-300 for gaskets, oils. etc which was full price

I put 3500 miles on it before I let them touch it, car was driven a total of 8-9 months with no racing at all and drove perfect. The one time I ran it hard the cats plugged causing driving issues. Little did I or G-Force know they forgot to gut the cats like MIKE told me they should have been done. This is a garage baby no track at all! He said tuning was addressed NOT why did I have to bring the car back to him 3 times for 3-5 days and twice with the backfiring issue. I sat there personally when he was making moves with the tune in the driveway and giving it back to me at his shop. Saying I need to drive it a little and put miles on it for the tune. Why after the final tune he gave me back the car and it lost power, and when I ask mike he said since the cats are gutted their isn`t as much back pressure so boost dropped a little and I lost some power. I can go on and on!

This isn`t bout getting G-Force to give me or fix anything. I just want folks to know what happen to my ride and how I was treated. After reading what mike posted and him saying he offered a discounted rate that was a lie. If he would have worked with me then the car would be running right now. I never expected him to pay for all the complete fix. He never offered to help me cost wise period on anything. Their is only 3 people know the truth. Me, God and Mike. I know I can sleep good at night with what I have said! God Bless!

Last edited by beardWS6; 09-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Beardws6 Does the car have blow by ? It definetly could have gotten a piston. if its still running its hard to believe it has a bent rod that will usually window the block pretty quick. I didn't pay real close attention to the mod list you posted but did you upgrade the fuel system on it also? How was he fuel pressure holding up at WOT?

I haven't seen anybody in here saying they were a professional tuner. I did go to the track with a friend and try to help him out with an issue though. I have also tuned my share. I don't do it for money though its not worth it to me. from experience I have had a lot of times it takes several hours to get a tune right and for what it pays I make more money at my regular Job. I guess I could be like some of the professional tuners though and throw a car on a dyno load in some saved tune make three pulls and tell some one good luck with it and collect $500+ for an hour. Its hard to do that if you have a conscience.
Personally for me if I were going to have one of my cars tuned by some one after seeing a lot of cars they have tuned I would go to PAT G. He puts a good amount of time in a tune to get it right and you can see it.

Last edited by bigfatls6; 09-02-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Guys I was Joking about that Professional tuner remark LOL! Only cause everyone wanted to look at the tune lol!

Quick Reply: Bent rod, Tuning the cause?