First time buying A Car out of state....and shipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buying A Car out of state....and shipping

Looking at buying this car that's in Florida...

What form of payment should I send to cover myself..paypal?
Should I just have him mail the title through postal certfied or fedex?

Any other suggestions please as I would like this to go as smooth as possible for me and the seller. Also I assume registering would be fairly simple but are there any tax office forms I should have the current owner fill out and send or prepare for myself?

I have a buddy who transports cars and got me a shipping quote from Miami to Dallas for 600$...Which is the route I think I am going, opened an account on Uship and the cheapest bid I got so far was 695$...
Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I would recommend Paypal. Fees may be disputed by the seller thou.
Certified Mail with insurance and tracking. USPS, UPS, or Fedex are ok in my book.

A bill of sale will be needed, and TX inspection and insured before it can registered here. If it has a junk title, then I believe it has to be inspected by a certified shop??
$600 is cheap!! But uShip is a good site. I've used them a handful of times with no issues.

I bought a car from NJ with a clean title, had it shipped to TX. Got insurance and Inspection done the same day. The guy didn't provide me with a bill of sale but it was a small bump. I'm sure most of us have gone down that road lol.

Last edited by david76008; 09-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure the exhaust setup alone is going to cause it to fail...I may need a "Friendly Inspection sticker" place if anyone knows of one around dfw....PM me.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Oh normally I send funds I think as a gift and I believe it waivers some fee's but in this instance I think I am going to send it as goods and write a detailed description just in case.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Teching In

TX DMV does not accept a bill of sale.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

You will need an inspection with a green sheet and a filled out 130-U. The inspection shop will know what the green sheet is.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake Spoon
TX DMV does not accept a bill of sale.
You are right. The tax assessor will. The 130-U is the form I meant to mention earlier. Which needs to be signed by seller and buyer. I know a couple shops in west Ft Worth if all fails.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the seller still have a loan on the vehicle? If he does, work with your bank. Have them contact him and his bank, your bank will pay off the remainder of the loan directly to his bank and they will send your bank the title and give him whatever money is left over. If this makes any sense. I did this when I purchased a camaro out of Georgia a few years back. I ended up flying down to Florida where he met me at the airport and I drove the car back.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cheaper is not always better when it comes to shipping a car. I'm going to assume it's a nice vehicle considering you are buying it from so far off. Don't go cheap on the shipping. Have it shipped enclosed. I used to haul cars for a living. Enclosed.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

I just did the same thing with an Ohio car. I send a cashiers check directly to the credit union holding the lien, Fedex Overnight. They, in turn, sent me the title via Fedex overnight.

Pretty good deal on the shipping. I am guessing that since your buddy is a broker that you dont have to pay the normal brokers fee. When I shipped mine the driver wanted 700 and the broker 150. I had some major shipping issues (shipper shut down by the feds right after they picked it up) so I got mine for 695 instead of 850.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by david76008
You are right. The tax assessor will. The 130-U is the form I meant to mention earlier. Which needs to be signed by seller and buyer. I know a couple shops in west Ft Worth if all fails.
When I did my title transfer in June I had no bill of sale. The Title Transfer Form asks how much you paid for the vehicle, thats all they needed from me.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by david76008
Man, I may need it, I am 99% positive the car has no cats

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Does the seller still have a loan on the vehicle? If he does, work with your bank. Have them contact him and his bank, your bank will pay off the remainder of the loan directly to his bank and they will send your bank the title and give him whatever money is left over. If this makes any sense. I did this when I purchased a camaro out of Georgia a few years back. I ended up flying down to Florida where he met me at the airport and I drove the car back.
Theres no lien on the vehicle, if the car had working A/C I would consider driving it back but its 20hrs back to Dallas...and in this heat...yeah

I doubt the vehicle will be transported enclosed....I assume those cost a few hundred dollars more, I will ask my friend, regardless I am getting a car thats worth more parted out than it actually is pieced together between the motor swap and handful of mods and wheels it has on it.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Had my M3 shipped from Jacksonville, FL to Dallas in a single covered trailer for $650. Guy did a WONDERFUL job, let me know if u need his contact info. Think he said he lives in the Waco/Belton area

Quick Reply: First time buying A Car out of state....and shipping