KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Death at HMP

Just heard about this today...

Link

Race car driver killed in crash
By Kelci Johnston, News Associate Producer
Published On: Sep 29 2014 07:17:09 AM CDT
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on google_plusone_share Share on pinterest_share More Sharing Services

HOUSTON -
A race car driver was killed Sunday in an accident at the Houston Motorsport Race Park.

It happened around 8:15 p.m. during a drag race.

According to reports, the victim was making a test solo run on an 8-mile drag strip in a 1967 Chevy Camaro.

As he approached the finish line, investigators said, he was unable to stop the car, and he ended up crashing into water barrels and a fence.

The driver died at the scene.

Witnesses told Local 2 the victim was a professional driver, and the accident appeared to be caused by a mechanical issue with the car.

The driver's identity wasn't immediately released.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these editors not proof read anymore? Some of these articles on news sites are a joke.

Last edited by 5w20; 09-30-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: lmfao
Old 09-29-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never been to HMP, but they sure do sound to have a long drag strip!

Anyway... Sad thing to happen...
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I have heard, he had a heart attack possibly. Return lane time slip shack said they might have seen him slumped toward the streering wheel.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His parachute got caught in his wheelie bars. Also numerous account have said you could hear him downshifting to scrub speed of. Also the brakes might have went out.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big bird55
His parachute got caught in his wheelie bars. Also numerous account have said you could hear him downshifting to scrub speed of. Also the brakes might have went out.
If anyone has video footage of David's solo run please contact me, he is family and we want to see what happened.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Christine Clements
If anyone has video footage of David's solo run please contact me, he is family and we want to see what happened.
I can't even imagine any family member wanting to watch a video of his death.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure it is for a purpose, not to actually watch the death. That track has been said by many to have a dangerous shutdown area. I don't know for sure because my car has been down that track but not me. That car also didn't appear to ha e enough cage for the speeds they were probably clicking off.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Just heard about this today...

Link

the victim was making a test solo run on an 8-mile drag strip in a 1967 Chevy Camaro.
So, this happened in Detroit?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by codyvette
I am sure it is for a purpose, not to actually watch the death. That track has been said by many to have a dangerous shutdown area. I don't know for sure because my car has been down that track but not me. That car also didn't appear to ha e enough cage for the speeds they were probably clicking off.
Before you comment, take a closer look. The cage did its job! The inside of the car and the cage is still intact. He sit a solid object at over 130mph, how else would you expect for a car to look? If David would not have broken his neck he would still be here today.

I have know Larry and David for a very long time, this car has been in the grudge game for a long time and has always been legal for the times it has run...
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Before you comment, take a closer look. The cage did its job! The inside of the car and the cage is still intact. He sit a solid object at over 130mph, how else would you expect for a car to look? If David would not have broken his neck he would still be here today.

I have know Larry and David for a very long time, this car has been in the grudge game for a long time and has always been legal for the times it has run...
Don't take it the wrong way. The pictures aren't the clearest. That's why I said didn't appear. I wasn't there nor did I know the man. My point was, it could have been many contributing factors. Racing comes with it's dangers and I feel for those effected by these tragic events that luckily, seldom happen.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to those that are touched by this loss.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

From what I was told by a buddy out there, chutes got tangled in his wheelie bars and that he was downshifting, but apparently the brakes were out. Not the first time that's happened at HMP, first time there wasn't even a wall at the end of the track, this was wayyy back however. Stories from my old man and family. Dangerous track, seen a lot of wrecks out there, a lot of close calls too. Rest in Piece.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:09 AM
10 Second Club

That is what I was thinking when I heard about the accident, that his brakes AND chute went out. Even if the chute didn't come out, or get tangled up, there is plenty of shut down to get stopped imho. Especially for being an 1/8th mile track. The media implied that he might have been doing up to 200 mph, showing their ignorance.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we had a death at my local track the same weekend this happened, new gt500 lost control around the 1/8 hit rail went over and hit a tree, car basicly just came apart in about 3 pieces

Quick Reply: Death at HMP